The Cup of Stanley 10-11

In the last five periods in which the Boston Bruins have played, exactly one goal has been scored.

In the first two periods thus far, Boston has been the better team. Vancouver looks very much like a team that has not played for over a week. Very, very flat. Same as the fans.

Bruins did better offensively than vancuver even though they lost.

However vancuver owned the physical game.

I think we need to bring thorton back for this series.

In the last five periods in which the Boston Bruins have played, exactly one goal has been scored.

In the first two periods thus far, Boston has been the better team. Vancouver looks very much like a team that has not played for over a week. Very, very flat. Same as the fans.

I didn't think Vancouver had what it took to get this far. They've surprised me.

I've watched most of Vancouver's playoff games this year, and I've often thought "This is the best team in the NHL?" That's what I thought after watching the first two periods. But Vancouver took over in the third and imposed themselves on the Bruins. I wouldn't have had any argument had Boston won. That game was there for the taking and I think the Canucks will be better in game two. I think game two is a must-win game for the Bruins. They've shown a lot of guts, but if they have to win four out of five against Vancouver, I think that's a hole too deep. Vancouver is just too good in too many areas.

I've watched most of Vancouver's playoff games this year, and I've often thought "This is the best team in the NHL?" That's what I thought after watching the first two periods. But Vancouver took over in the third and imposed themselves on the Bruins. I wouldn't have had any argument had Boston won. That game was there for the taking and I think the Canucks will be better in game two. I think game two is a must-win game for the Bruins. They've shown a lot of guts, but if they have to win four out of five against Vancouver, I think that's a hole too deep. Vancouver is just too good in too many areas.

I agree about game 2 being a must win. I think the Bruins will play better also.....i doubt they will put thorton back in and take out seguin but I wouldn't be mad if they did.

FTR, there was a stat I read last night something along the lines that the team that has won game won has won the Cup 77% of the time, and if that was the home team, they've won 85% of the time.

Of course, statistics mean bunk in any one-off situation.

That was funny :D.

Still that last goal, considering he was offsides, was pretty bogus.

I read that yesterday... They're saying he was off sides! I have yet to see the replay...

Also, pretty low of that guy Burrows to actually bite Bergeron's finger! :cuckoo:

As the third member of Vancouver’s first line alongside Henrik and Daniel Sedin, the Canucks could ill afford to take the ice without him for Game 2 of the Stanley Cup finals against the Bruins tomorrow. Yesterday, they learned that despite Burrows’ bite of Bruins center Patrice Bergeron’s finger, they will have Burrows at their disposal.

“After reviewing the incident, including speaking with the on-ice officials, I can find no conclusive evidence that Alex Burrows intentionally bit the finger of Patrice Bergeron,” said Mike Murphy, the NHL senior vice president of hockey operations, in a statement after a phone hearing with the Vancouver winger.

While there had to be a high level of astonishment in the Bruins’ dressing room and organization after the league’s decision, they were ready to move on and hope to bounce back from their 1-0 loss in Game 1. That included the injured party.

“I’m over it,” said Bergeron on the first of two off days before Game 2. “To be honest with you, I’m looking forward for next game. We’ve got to get back in the series. Like I said (Wednesday) night, it’s the league’s decision and I’ll let them make the call, make the decision. It’s theirs. So I have nothing else to say about it.”

Video evidence shows Burrows biting down on Bergeron’s hand during a scrum before the first intermission.

Alex Burrows won’t taste suspension for biting - BostonHerald.com

Last edited:

Here is the highlight video...

If you pause the clip at 3:18 you can see he was not off sides.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0wBYQKvmSk]YouTube - ‪2011 Stanley Cup Finals - Vancouver Canucks vs Boston Bruins Game 1 Highlights 5/24/11‬‏[/ame]

Not sure why that YouTube header says 5/24/11 as it was really 6/1/11.

I read that yesterday... They're saying he was off sides! I have yet to see the replay...

Also, pretty low of that guy Burrows to actually bite Bergeron's finger! :cuckoo:

As the third member of Vancouver’s first line alongside Henrik and Daniel Sedin, the Canucks could ill afford to take the ice without him for Game 2 of the Stanley Cup finals against the Bruins tomorrow. Yesterday, they learned that despite Burrows’ bite of Bruins center Patrice Bergeron’s finger, they will have Burrows at their disposal.

“After reviewing the incident, including speaking with the on-ice officials, I can find no conclusive evidence that Alex Burrows intentionally bit the finger of Patrice Bergeron,” said Mike Murphy, the NHL senior vice president of hockey operations, in a statement after a phone hearing with the Vancouver winger.

While there had to be a high level of astonishment in the Bruins’ dressing room and organization after the league’s decision, they were ready to move on and hope to bounce back from their 1-0 loss in Game 1. That included the injured party.

“I’m over it,” said Bergeron on the first of two off days before Game 2. “To be honest with you, I’m looking forward for next game. We’ve got to get back in the series. Like I said (Wednesday) night, it’s the league’s decision and I’ll let them make the call, make the decision. It’s theirs. So I have nothing else to say about it.”

Video evidence shows Burrows biting down on Bergeron’s hand during a scrum before the first intermission.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcVP3x-x_NE&feature=related]YouTube - ‪Stanley Cup Finals...Bruins Vs. Canucks‬‏[/ame]

^^^^skate crossed line before puck!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcVP3x-x_NE&feature=related]YouTube - ‪Stanley Cup Finals...Bruins Vs. Canucks‬‏[/ame]

^^^^skate crossed line before puck!

That's his front foot. If you look at the other video I posted above you can clearly see his back foot was not yet over the line as the puck came across the blue line...

DON-CHERRY.jpg

I was just settling in for what I hoped might be a lot of overtime and BAM! Game ended 11 seconds in. :eek:

Still, these have been two good games to watch if you like to see goaltending highlights. Yes, Thomas screwed up on the OT goal. He should have stayed much further in net, he over-committed. Still, he and Luongo made some impressive saves throughout the second game and especially the first one.

The question is, do you think the Bruins still have a shot?

These games have been close enough that I certainly don't count Boston out yet. I think game 3 is a must-win though; if they let the Canucks take game 3 it's over IMO. I hope not; while I'd prefer Vancouver finally get a cup, I'd also prefer a 6 or 7 game series.

Of the 46 times a team has gone up 2-0 in the Stanley Cup finals, they have won the Cup on 42 occasions.

Also, no team in the history of the NHL playoffs has ever come back from an 0-2 deficit twice.

However, until this year, the Bruins were 0-26 in their history after being 0-2 down. They are now 1-26.

Forum List

Back