🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

The Dangers of Corporations Controlling National Secrets

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
The privatized national security apparatus isn’t just wasteful—it’s contrary to the founding principles of our democratic republic.

It's time to completely end the privatization of national security.

Business Week recently pointed out that 99 percent of Booze Allen Hamilton's revenues come from government contracts.

Why would we pay a CEO millions, stockholders tens of millions, and workers a small fortune when the same work could and should be done by civil servants?

Even worse, our privatized national security apparatus isn’t just wasteful; it’s contrary to the founding principles of our democratic republic.

Governments can be made accountable, transparent, and responsive to “We the People.” In fact, that's the core idea of our Constitution.

On the other hand corporations, by and large, are accountable only to profits.They’re opaque, and don't give a damn about “We the People,” except for the people who run them.

There once was a time, before Reagan put us on a privatization binge, when our national security was run by our government and answerable to “We the People.”

However, ever since the Reagan Revolution, our political class has been obsessed with the idea that since government can’t do anything right, private companies should take over most of our commons, even, in this case, the commons of our national security.

And that’s created an entire industry of companies like Booz Allen Hamilton, where NSA leaker Edward Snowden worked, reaping millions in profits every year to manage and lobby for an ever-expanding and ever-more-profitable national security industry.

Privatization enthusiasts praise contractors as efficient and responsible purveyors of public service, but corporations, by virtue of being corporations, are incompatible with the functions of representative government.

At its core, a republic requires accountability.

We entrust to our public officials the power to act in our interest.

If they violate that trust, we expect them to either face punishment or resign from their duties.

After all, they serve us, not stockholders or CEOs.

More: The Dangers of Corporations Controlling National Secrets | Alternet - By Thom Hartmann

I trust our imperfect government to act in our best interests more than corporations. President Dwight "Ike" Eisenhower warned us.

Eisenhower's Military-Industry Complex Warning, 50 Years Later : NPR

Why do I even bother coming to your OPs anymore? You post crap from Alternet and NPR. You liberals look for a way to inject anti-Corporatism into everything. Waste of my time.

Corporations are your friend.Corporations are your friend.Corporations are your friend. Corporations are your friend.Corporations are your friend.Everybody knows that.Corporations are your friend.Corporations are your friend.Corporations are your friend. Corporations are your friend.Corporations are your friend.Everybody knows that.Corporations are your friend.Corporations are your friend.Corporations are your friend. Corporations are your friend.Corporations are your friend.Everybody knows that.Corporations are your friend.Corporations are your friend.Corporations are your friend. Corporations are your friend.Corporations are your friend.Everybody knows that.Corporations are your friend.Corporations are your friend.Corporations are your friend. Corporations are your friend.Corporations are your friend.Everybody knows that.Corporations are your friend.Corporations are your friend.Corporations are your friend. Corporations are your friend.Corporations are your friend.Everybody knows that.Corporations are your friend.Corporations are your friend.Corporations are your friend. Corporations are your friend.Corporations are your friend.Everybody knows that.Corporations are your friend.Corporations are your friend.Corporations are your friend. Corporations are your friend.Corporations are your friend.Everybody knows that.Corporations are your friend.Corporations are your friend.Corporations are your friend. Corporations are your friend.Corporations are your friend.

Everybody knows that.

I trust our imperfect government to act in our best interests more than corporations. President Dwight "Ike" Eisenhower warned us.

You missed the whole point of Ike's speech.

Go watch it again.

I've read and watched it several times over the years. Please tell me what you think Ike's point was.

"Over the years" try "Over the eons"

Get outta here.

Why do I even bother coming to your OPs anymore? You post crap from Alternet and NPR. You liberals look for a way to inject anti-Corporatism into everything. Waste of my time.

So where do you get your pro corporate information?

I support their right to profit, but I reject the notion they can be helped along with federal subsidies. That was beside the point though. Liberals try to link Corporatism to every bad deed perpetrated in America, just as the Nazis tried to link Judaism to the what ailed the world in the 1920's, 30's and 40's.

When this government was founded, corporations were at the bottom of the heap, had little power and could lose their charters easily, and their charters were temporary. This probably was due to the patriots hatred of the east india tea company of boston tea party fame. I'd be willing to bet that all you modern tea bagging republicans would be snitching out the patriots to the British army if you had the chance to go back in time.

So where do you get your pro corporate information?

I support their right to profit, but I reject the notion they can be helped along with federal subsidies. That was beside the point though. Liberals try to link Corporatism to every bad deed perpetrated in America, just as the Nazis tried to link Judaism to the what ailed the world in the 1920's, 30's and 40's.

So where do you get your info? You reject Alternet and NPR. You must have a source.

The direction we're headed for in this country is corporate rule. Part of our disappearing job problem is the offshoring and outsourcing. This is done by your beloved corporations that must do everything for profit motive and the American people can go to hell. Where are the jobs going to be for the kids coming of age? We talk a lot about education however if the kids have to compete with the third world wages, they don't have much of a chance at a decent life. Both parties are bought and paid for. Obama has been pushing the trade deals that bush started, Clinton sold us out on Nafta and other giveaways. All for profit of corporations. This is probably irreversible but the republican working stiffs? Bootlicking and bowing down to the major corporations and very, very wealthy class. Me, I'm for some overthrow. Start with the oil industry by nationalizing it and using the profits for we the people. Education, health care etc. Our constant wars for corporate profit that has turned USA into international terrorists? This is what's helping bankrupt us. Stop the wars also if we want a future our upcoming generations.

The direction we're headed for in this country is corporate rule. Part of our disappearing job problem is the offshoring and outsourcing. This is done by your beloved corporations that must do everything for profit motive and the American people can go to hell. Where are the jobs going to be for the kids coming of age? We talk a lot about education however if the kids have to compete with the third world wages, they don't have much of a chance at a decent life. Both parties are bought and paid for. Obama has been pushing the trade deals that bush started, Clinton sold us out on Nafta and other giveaways. All for profit of corporations. This is probably irreversible but the republican working stiffs? Bootlicking and bowing down to the major corporations and very, very wealthy class. Me, I'm for some overthrow. Start with the oil industry by nationalizing it and using the profits for we the people. Education, health care etc. Our constant wars for corporate profit that has turned USA into international terrorists? This is what's helping bankrupt us. Stop the wars also if we want a future our upcoming generations.

you think big government is better ?

The privatized national security apparatus isn’t just wasteful—it’s contrary to the founding principles of our democratic republic.

It's time to completely end the privatization of national security.

Business Week recently pointed out that 99 percent of Booze Allen Hamilton's revenues come from government contracts.

Why would we pay a CEO millions, stockholders tens of millions, and workers a small fortune when the same work could and should be done by civil servants?

Even worse, our privatized national security apparatus isn’t just wasteful; it’s contrary to the founding principles of our democratic republic.

Governments can be made accountable, transparent, and responsive to “We the People.” In fact, that's the core idea of our Constitution.

On the other hand corporations, by and large, are accountable only to profits.They’re opaque, and don't give a damn about “We the People,” except for the people who run them.

There once was a time, before Reagan put us on a privatization binge, when our national security was run by our government and answerable to “We the People.”

However, ever since the Reagan Revolution, our political class has been obsessed with the idea that since government can’t do anything right, private companies should take over most of our commons, even, in this case, the commons of our national security.

And that’s created an entire industry of companies like Booz Allen Hamilton, where NSA leaker Edward Snowden worked, reaping millions in profits every year to manage and lobby for an ever-expanding and ever-more-profitable national security industry.

Privatization enthusiasts praise contractors as efficient and responsible purveyors of public service, but corporations, by virtue of being corporations, are incompatible with the functions of representative government.

At its core, a republic requires accountability.

We entrust to our public officials the power to act in our interest.

If they violate that trust, we expect them to either face punishment or resign from their duties.

After all, they serve us, not stockholders or CEOs.

More: The Dangers of Corporations Controlling National Secrets | Alternet - By Thom Hartmann

John Dewey believed that "politics is the shadow big business casts over society." Corporations obscure the obvious fact that you can't even talk about meaningful democracy until you have democratic control over industry, commerce, and banking.

Cut the political crap and use your tiny leftist brains.. The OP is blatantly wrong in MOST of it's assertions..

Here's the problem.. You folks think that the Fed Govt is omniscient and full of America's best professors, engineers, scientists and manufacturing facilities.. You think that they MAKE everything they buy. You think that they push the frontiers of knowledge.. With a couple exceptions, all of that is childish belief.. How would NSA tap all those phone and comm networks without 1000s of ATT employees working by their side. There is a TON of company proprietary secrets involved in their networks..

What would be REALLY inefficient and counter to the interests of the American people would be for the FED govt to REINVENT every idea and product that's already developed in the private sector.

How did we get to moon? What piece of that equipment was made IN WASHINGTON DC? Or even DESIGNED at NASA?

Whining bunch of no-nothing political parrots. That's what we got here.

Last edited:

Where do corporations come from?
Here's one possibility:

"It wasn't until the early twentieth century that courts and lawyers designed a new socioeconomic system. It was never done by legislation. It was done mostly by courts and lawyers and the power they could exercise over individual states. New Jersey was the first state to offer corporations any right they wanted..."

"Then the courts and the corporate lawyers came along and created a whole new body of doctrine which gave corporations authority and power that they never had before. If you look at the background of it, it's the same background that led to fascism and Bolshevism.

"A lot of it was supported by people called progressives, for these reasons: They said, individual rights are gone. We are in a period of corporatization of power, consolidation of power, centralization. That's supposed to be good if you're a progressive, like a Marxist-Leninist.

"Out of that same background came three major things: fascism, Bolshevism, and corporate tyranny."

Education is Ignorance, by Noam Chomsky (Excerpted from Class Warfare)

It's pretty obvious that modern corporations have no loyalty to any country. They wish to be self-sovereign, and they are more than halfway to that goal.

Please remember this is the Politics forum. All posts must contain thread relevant content and no content flames will be deleted.

Where do corporations come from?
Here's one possibility:

"It wasn't until the early twentieth century that courts and lawyers designed a new socioeconomic system. It was never done by legislation. It was done mostly by courts and lawyers and the power they could exercise over individual states. New Jersey was the first state to offer corporations any right they wanted..."

"Then the courts and the corporate lawyers came along and created a whole new body of doctrine which gave corporations authority and power that they never had before. If you look at the background of it, it's the same background that led to fascism and Bolshevism.

"A lot of it was supported by people called progressives, for these reasons: They said, individual rights are gone. We are in a period of corporatization of power, consolidation of power, centralization. That's supposed to be good if you're a progressive, like a Marxist-Leninist.

"Out of that same background came three major things: fascism, Bolshevism, and corporate tyranny."

Education is Ignorance, by Noam Chomsky (Excerpted from Class Warfare)

Noam Chomsky is your brilliant insight on finding yourself as an inmate in a surveillance state??? We have 12 MAJOR scandals and revelations this week regarding your IMMEDIATE civil rights and you're worried about Bolshevism and corporate tyranny..

NO -- You're not gonna spin this or change the topic on these things. Nope. No Sir.. Aint gonna work...

Forum List

Back