The decline of honor and sportsmanship in society

RandomPoster

Platinum Member
May 22, 2017
I was once in an argument with some guy at a party. We agreed to step outside and fight like honorable gentlemen. Five of his friends wanted to come along and watch. We went outside, except people were wandering around all over. He and his friends suggested we should go somewehere more private. We all got into a van and drove a few miles into the country and stopped at an abandoned gravel pit. When we got out, they all ganged up on me and beat me up six on one. This says something about the breakdown in society.

We were raised to fight fair and display good sportsmanship. I see a lot of dishonourable behavior in society.

I was once in an argument with some guy at a party. We agreed to step outside and fight like honorable gentlemen. Five of his friends wanted to come along and watch. We went outside, except people were wandering around all over. He and his friends suggested we should go somewehere more private. We all got into a van and drove a few miles into the country and stopped at an abandoned gravel pit. When we got out, they all ganged up on me and beat me up six on one. This says something about the breakdown in society.

We were raised to fight fair and display good sportsmanship. I see a lot of dishonourable behavior in society.
Wow, what made you think that his ilk would only stand there and watch no matter where it all took place?

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. According to how you tell this story, you make it sound like you willing got into a vehicle with them first before they eventually whupped your butt. To me, that right there alone could've led to anything when they were already ticked off enough at you.

Last edited:
There is nothing gentlemanly or honorable about an arguement that needs to be settled with fisticuffs.

Granny says, "Dat's right...

... an' is affectin' politics...

... which is why a buncha no-good sore losers...

... is still whinin' `bout Trump winnin' the `lection."

Nah, It just says you are a gullible shithead

Uh, the pyramids should have been your first clue on human behavior. Gigantic mountains built out of 2 ton blocks with elaborate passageways and a tomb in the middle, with myriad traps and locks designed to keep grave robbers out forever. Yet they broke in anyway and stole all the stuff.

You didn't get a clue about human behavior even from that?

Yes, the OP is right, in my opinion: Good sportsmanship is no longer prized.

No matter what one may think about the results of the 2016 presidential election, the behavior of some people on the losing side was very disappointing.

I remember an incident that was reported after the 1960 presidential election.

Richard M. Nixon (who lost to John F. Kennedy) and his wife walked into a restaurant. All the patrons rose and applauded. Presumably some of those on their feet had voted for Senator Kennedy.

Furthermore, there was some genuine concern that there had been voter fraud in certain states. Vice President Nixon refused to contest the results, feeling that it would not be good for the country.

Forum List

Back