The Distorted Universe

Spycraft

Jan 10, 2018
I've been trying to conceptualize a problem I see with the way physicists talk about the observable universe. The way I've come-up with to visualize the problem so far is to think of the Galaxy as a clock. The hour and minute hands pointing to our location in the Galaxy and the location of an object we are observing across the Galaxy.

Let's say that the galaxy is rotating such that the hour and minute hand (which in this case moves the same speed and not at a ratio of 1:60 like on a clock) have moved 1 position in the time it takes light to move across the galaxy.

As you can tell, there's an obvious distortion.

As light travels from 12 o'clock heading for 6 o'clock, our present position, this means that the apparent straight line is actually bent no matter how you look at it.

Either the light starting at 12 is being observed by an object originally at the position of 5.

Or the light reaching 6 came from an object now at the position of 1.

This distortion, as far as I can tell, is entirely ignored by cosmologists, and astrophysicists alike.

For me, I have been trying to determine is there some inherent flaw with the concept of a distorted Universe? Have I overlooked something simple? Or have I stumbled upon something obvious?

The implications are more interesting though, because I think that if the Universe is distorted, then much of what we see (albeit apparently crystal clear) is actually more like a blur. For instance imagine taking a picture while spinning, the resulting picture is a blur. If we filter out the blur caused by the spin we get a crystal clear picture.

The filter is observable light, but when we use other filters, we see more of the blur.

And I believe this is where Dark Matter really originates, cosmologists have incorrectly identified dark matter as a real substance, when in fact it is all the blur caused by the distortion previously described in the above thought experiment.

Here is a video I think captures the distortion better, the passing of a ball on a rotating surface, in this case a merry-go-round. The passage of the ball appears straight, or bent, dependent upon the relative frame used to observe the passage.

In the below video the stationary observer doesn't see a perfectly straight line because of other forces acting on the ball, but the phenomenon may be a good illustration none the less.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back