The end of coffee shop culture

Never heard of it. I don't drink that latte stuff so personally I'd rather brew my own at home rather than shelling out the better part of 3 bucks for a crappy cup of Starbucks.
That makes about as much sense as possible from the point of view of protecting your pocketbook with respect to other people's ideas of "fair trade" whatnot — somebody's drinking a cup of coffee, both the farmers and the customers are feeling ripped off by the chain in the middle, corporate profits are sagging, and we're scratching our heads to figure out who's running off with all the money. Something just doesn't add up.

You shell out $10–15 or even more for a tin of ground roasted coffee and you have to buy the filters and what's in that paper you really want to drink with your coffee?

Living in fear should not become the new normal. Life is meant to be lived but woke liberals would have us all live under a mask forever, They have an odd sense of maintaining order and control on a population because at the same time they encourage lawlessness by chosen segments of society.
Doing nothing when the nation is faced with a serious epidemic, is not bravery. It's stupidity. Real fear in society comes when people believe nothing is being done. IMHO, very few Americans are living in fear. Yes, they're concerned about jobs and business but mostly they are bored, sick of having kids sitting around the house all day, missing going to movies, concerts, plays, ball games, their favorite restaurants, happy hours, and partying with friends but they know it is coming to an end soon.

They are dropping like flies over here. Folk who work from home dont buy coffee at lunchtime. Its very sad. I did some work for Costa last year and met a lot of very nice people.

So forcibly closing them down didn't make them more prosperous, Ahmed?

Dayum, who would have seen that coming? :dunno:
What we did last year was to adhere to preventive methods that have proven to work with other airborne epidemics, separating people, (social distancing, quarantining, and shutdowns) and putting barriers between people, (masks, plastic shields, and walls). There is and will always be disagreements as to how effective each method is because effectiveness depends on the culture of the people but nearly all the scientists agree that doing nothing is not a good option.

Scientist at London college projected that in America if nothing was done. 80% of the population would be infected (272 million). .9% (4 million) would die. and 3% of the population (10million) would become seriously ill. It would take up to 36 months to reach herd immunity. However, if new strands occurred which is likely when viruses go unchecked, this could lead to a cataclysmic event. Historical, when government does not take a leadership role in a serious epidemic, the outcome is worse and social unrest has lead to disintegration of the society.

Happy 1 year anniversary of "two weeks to flatten the curve."

What we have done is engaged in voodoo. The measures we have taken are abysmal failures, so we have doubled down, absolutely certain that the complete failure of lockowns and the absurd masks will make all the difference now because, uh, you know.

The predications of millions of deaths were nonsense.

Those who wrote than steaming shit had zero knowledge of the Wuhan Designer Virus. It is far more contagious and vastly less lethal than the empty heads and open mouths a year ago claimed.

The destruction of our economy did exactly what it was intended to do, got Trump out of office.

It did NOTHING to improve the situation with the Wuhan Designer Virus.

Living in fear should not become the new normal. Life is meant to be lived but woke liberals would have us all live under a mask forever, They have an odd sense of maintaining order and control on a population because at the same time they encourage lawlessness by chosen segments of society.
Doing nothing when the nation is faced with a serious epidemic, is not bravery. It's stupidity. Real fear in society comes when people believe nothing is being done. IMHO, very few Americans are living in fear. Yes, they're concerned about jobs and business but mostly they are bored, sick of having kids sitting around the house all day, missing going to movies, concerts, plays, ball games, their favorite restaurants, happy hours, and partying with friends but they know it is coming to an end soon.
The biggest moan I hear is having to home school.

Never heard of it. I don't drink that latte stuff so personally I'd rather brew my own at home rather than shelling out the better part of 3 bucks for a crappy cup of Starbucks.
I'll sell you mine for $8 a kilo...however you want it roasted. 60 or so cups worth

That makes about as much sense as possible from the point of view of protecting your pocketbook with respect to other people's ideas of "fair trade" whatnot — somebody's drinking a cup of coffee, both the farmers and the customers are feeling ripped off by the chain in the middle, corporate profits are sagging, and we're scratching our heads to figure out who's running off with all the money. Something just doesn't add up.

You shell out $10–15 or even more for a tin of ground roasted coffee and you have to buy the filters and what's in that paper you really want to drink with your coffee?
Fair traded coffees are readily available at $7.50 for a 12 oz. bag, just a bit more than Starbucks. Yes you can pay $15 if you want some of the higher quality coffees. The only problem I have found in buying fair trade coffee is the lack of variety.

Fair trade means paying fair prices for the products we buy and the work and skill involved in making them. It means ensuring those producers are working in safe and healthy conditions. Fair Trade promotes responsible production and consumption, with respect for the environment and using sustainable practices. Fair Trade products have not been made using child labor or forced labor. Fair Trade organizations must be inclusive and cannot discriminate based on factors like age, ethnicity or HIV status.

Major retailers and importers search the world for the lowest possible prices. They are not concerned with how the product is produced as long as the quality and the price is right. Whether the coffee or beef is grown by clearing millions of acres of rainforest, or the shoes are made by child labor in sweat shops is not their concern. Fair trade is for people that are interested in sustainability and fair treatment for workers and are willing to pay a little more. It is not for everyone, only those that really care about the planet and it's people.

Last edited:
Never heard of that chain. Don't they allow these coffee shops to sell coffee to go? Where I'm at, they aren't allowing indoor dining, but take out is allowed. Probably the only thing keeping them in business.
I think the small coffee street side kiosks are doing reasonable well. The one I go to each morning seems to be doing pretty good, maybe not as good as before the virus but I don't think they are losing money. The people that are really hurting are owners and operators of small coffee shops, snack stands, and restaurants in the big office buildings. With so many people working from home, there is almost no business.

I have a good friend that owns good size Mexican restaurant which is very popular. Before the virus, he had 12 employees. Now there are 3, the owner, his mother and their cook.

Coffee houses have been a fixture of our culture since the 18th Century. They have been part of Middle East culture since the 16th Century.

During the Age of Exploration and the inception of European global trade, Dutch coffee houses were a central place for business meeting and creating contracts for goods coming from all over the globe.

I think it will take more than a rough flu season to destroy what has been such an integral part of the human experience for 500 years.

They are dropping like flies over here. Folk who work from home dont buy coffee at lunchtime. Its very sad. I did some work for Costa last year and met a lot of very nice people.

So forcibly closing them down didn't make them more prosperous, Ahmed?

Dayum, who would have seen that coming? :dunno:
What we did last year was to adhere to preventive methods that have proven to work with other airborne epidemics, separating people, (social distancing, quarantining, and shutdowns) and putting barriers between people, (masks, plastic shields, and walls). There is and will always be disagreements as to how effective each method is because effectiveness depends on the culture of the people but nearly all the scientists agree that doing nothing is not a good option.

Scientist at London college projected that in America if nothing was done. 80% of the population would be infected (272 million). .9% (4 million) would die. and 3% of the population (10million) would become seriously ill. It would take up to 36 months to reach herd immunity. However, if new strands occurred which is likely when viruses go unchecked, this could lead to a cataclysmic event. Historical, when government does not take a leadership role in a serious epidemic, the outcome is worse and social unrest has lead to disintegration of the society.

Happy 1 year anniversary of "two weeks to flatten the curve."

What we have done is engaged in voodoo. The measures we have taken are abysmal failures, so we have doubled down, absolutely certain that the complete failure of lockowns and the absurd masks will make all the difference now because, uh, you know.

The predications of millions of deaths were nonsense.

Those who wrote than steaming shit had zero knowledge of the Wuhan Designer Virus. It is far more contagious and vastly less lethal than the empty heads and open mouths a year ago claimed.

The destruction of our economy did exactly what it was intended to do, got Trump out of office.

It did NOTHING to improve the situation with the Wuhan Designer Virus.
The term flattening the curve referred to the drastic actions taken to reduce covid hospitalization last March and April. Covid hospitalizations increased from near zero to 59,000 between March 15 and April 15. Hospitals in most of the major cities would be overflowing and the healthcare system would collapse in a matter of weeks unless drastic measures were not taken. The country began shutting down state by state as hospitalizations rose in late March. They peaked in the third week of April and started falling by May 1st in most cities. Thus in early May, states that were improving the most began opening with restrictions. By the first week in June, covid hospitalization were down 50% and they continued falling till late June as did restrictions in many states. The fact is shutdowns did work. Had we not taken that step, there is no reason to believe that the rate of hospitalizations would not have continued to increase as well as deaths until a point where the seriously ill would be denied healthcare services.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back