'The Freakishness of Christianity'

midcan5

liberal / progressive
Jun 4, 2007
America
"What would the American culture wars look like if they were less about “values” and more about Jesus?"

"Giving every man a vote has no more made men wise and free than Christianity has made them good." H. L. Mencken

I've wondered the same. Seems people separate religion from their values in all ways except words and on days of worship. 'Christianity has not been tried and found wanting; it has been found difficult and not tried,' Gilbert K. Chesterton. And the same is true for Judaism and Islam.

Onward Russell Moore s New Book Is a Case Against the Culture Wars - The Atlantic

"If such a “real America” ever existed in more than Leave It to Beaver re-runs, it certainly doesn’t exist now. Gay marriage is legal. Church attendance is down. Most TV shows are less about happy homes than the hectic, diverse tumble of American family life; the cultural preoccupation with perfectionist conservatism has largely come to an end."

"I do not believe there is a problem in this country or the world today which could not be settled if approached through the teaching of the Sermon on the Mount." Harry S. Truman

Being somewhere between agnosticism and atheism, I can appreciate to a very slight degree your attempt at humor.

But, I would caution you to also consider the freakishness of secularism, while you're at it. Might as well speak on it all.

Being somewhere between agnosticism and atheism, I can appreciate to a very slight degree your attempt at humor.

But, I would caution you to also consider the freakishness of secularism, while you're at it. Might as well speak on it all.

There is nothing between agnosticism and atheism. Agnosticism says only "no one knows wether god exists or not". So the belief in god is a belief - what's somehow not very astonishing - and atheism is also only a belief - what on the other side atheists are often denying.

But secularism was indeed often also a very freaky show. 200 years ago for example in times of secularisation this christian library was used as a granary - no joke: it was filled with corn. The symbol was "We don't need knowledge - we need corn." But without Christians the corn to do so never had existed.

BibliothekWaldsassen.jpg

Last edited:
Actually I disagree. Agnosticism is broader than that. Agnosticism simply is an acknowledgement that you don't know either way. While it's true some go to the illogical conclusion that because they don't know that no body knows, agnosticism is much broader than that subsection.

Actually I disagree. Agnosticism is broader than that. Agnosticism simply is an acknowledgement that you don't know either way. While it's true some go to the illogical conclusion that because they don't know that no body knows, agnosticism is much broader than that subsection.

Agnosticism isn't a belief. It's a philosophy. Agnosticism builds not a probabilistic continuum between the belief in god and the belief atheism. Agnosticism says something about how we are able to think and how we are not able to think. If someone says "I believe in god" then this is not in conflict with the philosophie agnosticism. If someone says "I know god is not existing" then this is in conflict with the philosophy agnosticism.

Last edited:

There is nothing between agnosticism and atheism. Agnosticism says only "no one knows wether god exists or not". So the belief in god is a belief - what's somehow not very astonishing - and atheism is also only a belief - what on the other side atheists are often denying.

But secularism was indeed often also a very freaky show. 200 years ago for example in times of secularisation this christian library was used as a granary - no joke: it was filled with corn. The symbol was "We don't need knowledge - we need corn." But without Christians the corn to do so never had existed.

BibliothekWaldsassen.jpg

christian library

Oxymoron: a christian library

"What would the American culture wars look like if they were less about “values” and more about Jesus?"

"Giving every man a vote has no more made men wise and free than Christianity has made them good." H. L. Mencken

I've wondered the same. Seems people separate religion from their values in all ways except words and on days of worship. 'Christianity has not been tried and found wanting; it has been found difficult and not tried,' Gilbert K. Chesterton. And the same is true for Judaism and Islam.

Onward Russell Moore s New Book Is a Case Against the Culture Wars - The Atlantic

"If such a “real America” ever existed in more than Leave It to Beaver re-runs, it certainly doesn’t exist now. Gay marriage is legal. Church attendance is down. Most TV shows are less about happy homes than the hectic, diverse tumble of American family life; the cultural preoccupation with perfectionist conservatism has largely come to an end."

"I do not believe there is a problem in this country or the world today which could not be settled if approached through the teaching of the Sermon on the Mount." Harry S. Truman

I was unable to ascertain the main point or message of your post. Are we to abandon our faith because we are such hypocrites or sinners? Is there no value in trying to obey God? Or is there no assurance of God? I could not follow.

Be that as it may, I find words from the Bible and words from saints or wise men to be not only profound and true, but comforting. Here are but a few.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Vanity of vanities, all things are vanity!“ Ecclesiastes 1:2

"The life of a Christian is nothing but a perpetual struggle against self; there is no flowering of the soul to the beauty of its perfection except at the price of pain."St. Padre Pio.

Jonathan Swift (17th century English satirist) speaking of the achievements of science and its reflection upon its own laurels. ---- "And he, whose fortunes and dispositions have placed him in a convenient station to enjoy the fruits of this noble art; he that can with Epicurus content his ideas with the films and images that fly-off upon his senses from the superficies of things; such a man truly wise, creams off nature, leaving the sour and the dregs for philosophy and reason to lap up. This is the sublime and refined point of felicity, called, the possession of being well deceived; the serene peaceful state of being a fool among knaves."

"The universe in which man lives is not limited to the order that can be ascertained through logic or the senses. A miracle is a 'sign' that the order we perceive is superseded by a power from above. " (Pope John Paul II)

“All that we call human history…is the long terrible story of man trying to find something other than God which will make him happy.” C.S. Lewis

Agnosticism isn't a belief. It's a philosophy. Agnosticism builds not a probabilistic continuum between the belief in god and the belief atheism. Agnosticism says something about how we are able to think and how we are not able to think. If someone says "I believe in god" then this is not in conflict with the philosophie agnosticism. If someone says "I know god is not existing" then this is in conflict with the philosophy agnosticism.
Where did you get that steamy pile of shit from?

BibliothekWaldsassen.jpg

christian library

What you see here in the picture above is the library of the Abbey of the Cistercians in Waldsassen, Germany. The Cistericians were not only good teachers but also very good farmers in theory and practice. I would not be astonished if your existance would be a sideeffect of the existance of christian monks like them. Where do you come from?

While I used to be Christian, and am not anymore, unlike you I don't resort to calling them and their behaviors freakish.

So long as they're not trying to harm or control me, and are peaceful while sharing their beliefs and opinions, no foul.

If they harm no one, while voicing their socially-conservative views, I have absolutely no problem with it at all.

I don't think you expect any answer on anything what you say to anyone.

Last edited:
Stripped of it's superfluous quotes this is the flawed premise of the OP.

Problem 1. "Perfectionist conservatism" is a nonsensical strawman.

Traditional American culture is a real thing, and advocating for it, is completely valid.

That the OP feels a need to deny this truth, just shows that the OP and the author of the linked article know they cannot defend their enmity to Traditional American culture in any way that reflects positively on themselves.

Furthermore the fact that the article draws a distinction between "Happy homes" and "diverse modern families", shows that at some level they realize the many problems with modern "diverse" culture.

BibliothekWaldsassen.jpg

christian library

Are you genuinely this ignorant of Christianity and/or English or do you just have problems with the truth?

You don't have answers, just gobbledegook.

While I used to be Christian, and am not anymore, unlike you I don't resort to calling them and their behaviors freakish.

So long as they're not trying to harm or control me, and are peaceful while sharing their beliefs and opinions, no foul.

If they harm no one, while voicing their socially-conservative views, I have absolutely no problem with it at all.

And this is precisely the attitude all men should have regardless of their viewpoints

The major problem is--Jesus started 1 single religion, unified in love and peace, and thought( 1Cor 1:10) means no division.
The great apostasy( 2Thess 2:3) began then became a divided house--it will not stand( Mark 3:24-26)--they do not teach what Jesus actually taught--they tickle ears with--you are saved or born again, and the followers believe it. Even though it is not truth. It gives them excuse to do anything they want. They throw Jesus away for pride and self. Many have premeditated--return evil for evil.

The major problem is--Jesus started 1 single religion, unified in love and peace, and thought( 1Cor 1:10) means no division.
The great apostasy( 2Thess 2:3) began then became a divided house--it will not stand( Mark 3:24-26)--they do not teach what Jesus actually taught--they tickle ears with--you are saved or born again, and the followers believe it. Even though it is not truth. It gives them excuse to do anything they want. They throw Jesus away for pride and self. Many have premeditated--return evil for evil.

Which is why the Lord made the promise in rev 14:6-7 and elsewhere in the scriptures that the Church of Jesus Christ would be restored to prepare the world for His coming.

It's not my problem that you grew up without parents, kindergarten and school. Anyway I'm the better barbar - I'm the original and not a cheap copy. There's a big universe of thoughts of the mind and thoughts of the hearts I'm interested in. But I'm not interested in a senseless war of nonsense. I'm only asking myselve how you are able to survive in the real world.

It's not my problem that you grew up without parents, kindergarten and school. Anyway I'm the better barbar - I'm the original and not a cheap copy. There's a big universe of thoughts of the mind and thoughts of the hearts I'm interested in. But I'm not interested in a senseless war of nonsense. I'm only asking myselve how you are able to survive in the real world.
You sound retarded. Videos don't help.

Forum List

Back