The Front Porch Swing

Well, in Germany, Karneval is just about to happen and it starts tomorrow with a Fest-day called "Weiberfastnacht", sometimes also called "Fett Donnerstag" (fat Thursday)

Weiberfastnacht ? Wikipedia

Weiberfastnacht started right here in the suburb of Bonn in which I lived, called "Beuel".

150 years ago, this quarter of the city was the washing quarter. People sent their laundry here, which was then washed by the "washing women" of Beuel. But one day in the year, the Thursday before the official start of Karneval, the washing stores always closed and it was a tradition for the washing women to go to the town hall and "kidnap" the Mayor and cut his tie.

Even today, at Weiberfastnacht, this abduction is re-enacted and afterward there are just lots of crazy people (in Karneval-costumes) in the streets, drinking tons of beer and eating sweets..... from 09:30 to about 16:00, tram service in a lot of the city with be stopped and almost all of Beuel will be transformed into one big party.

The official start of Weiberfastnacht is 11:11 am. It is customary that men wear really terrible, ugly ties on this day, knowing quite well that a woman with a pair of scissors in her hand may be close at hand...

400_F_48134770_MGPxVK3sFI4eLVpONe7SFYDZ5zZd1K1D.jpg

Bonn, Cologne and Düsseldorf are considered the most "Karneval Krazy" cities in Germany.

6189371_51d5dbfdae_m.png

I will be making some films tomorrow.

Sunday is a huge Sunday Carneval parade and the big day is Monday, which is called "Rosenmontag" (Rose Monday). There will be a 5 hour parade and show and then people celebrate until the next day...

Tuesday is called "Kehraus" (the sweeping-out), where everyone slowly becomes sober again and cleans up the mess from Monday.

Wednesday is, of course, Ash Wednesday.

:)

Sounds like a hoot! Have fun and be sure to take pictures. Do they throw beads?
Take pictures of the ones catching the beads....ok!

I'm hoping to take pics, but I just got the call that my daughter is doing a special school play about Karneval, that will go from 09:30 to 11:11 on the dot and then school is out until next Tuesday. Rosenmontag is a national holiday in Germany and unofficially, so is Weiberfastnacht - at least until about 4 pm. So, most businesses just close down and make a 5 day holiday out of the whole deal.

I will definitely be posting some pics from Rosenmontag. There, everyone gets drunk - except me, since I am allergic to beer.

I saw a movie about the tradition of cutting a tie before but I cannot remember the rest of the story. Who knows! Maybe that is where the idea came from!

The think in New Orleans.....they throw beads at the women below who are willing to lift their shirts and show their boobs.....that's why I wanted you to take pictures...:lol:

Sorry to dump that bummer story on you guys...it just was one of those "parents' worst nightmare" kind of things....

You don't need to feel sorry at all, [MENTION=20112]bodecea[/MENTION]. Everyone needs an outlet for their feelings and this has obviously upset you too. As a parent I know exactly what you mean by your "worst nightmare". So sharing this with us is perfectly normal and understandable. :smiliehug:

Peace
DT

Thanks, DT....and everyone else. I think it actually put me in a state of shock yesterday....today I'm much better.......but that poor family. :(

On the cheerful side....we're getting rain here soon.

The think in New Orleans.....they throw beads at the women below who are willing to lift their shirts and show their boobs.....that's why I wanted you to take pictures...:lol:

One of my classmates from HS has been posting from New Orleans during Mardi Gras....She got a thrown string of beads in the face when she wasn't looking. Chipped a tooth. Dang!

Well, in Germany, Karneval is just about to happen and it starts tomorrow with a Fest-day called "Weiberfastnacht", sometimes also called "Fett Donnerstag" (fat Thursday)

Weiberfastnacht started right here in the suburb of Bonn in which I lived, called "Beuel".

150 years ago, this quarter of the city was the washing quarter. People sent their laundry here, which was then washed by the "washing women" of Beuel. But one day in the year, the Thursday before the official start of Karneval, the washing stores always closed and it was a tradition for the washing women to go to the town hall and "kidnap" the Mayor and cut his tie.

Even today, at Weiberfastnacht, this abduction is re-enacted and afterward there are just lots of crazy people (in Karneval-costumes) in the streets, drinking tons of beer and eating sweets..... from 09:30 to about 16:00, tram service in a lot of the city with be stopped and almost all of Beuel will be transformed into one big party.

The official start of Weiberfastnacht is 11:11 am. It is customary that men wear really terrible, ugly ties on this day, knowing quite well that a woman with a pair of scissors in her hand may be close at hand...

Bonn, Cologne and Düsseldorf are considered the most "Karneval Krazy" cities in Germany.

6189371_51d5dbfdae_m.png

Sunday is a huge Sunday Carneval parade and the big day is Monday, which is called "Rosenmontag" (Rose Monday). There will be a 5 hour parade and show and then people celebrate until the next day...

Tuesday is called "Kehraus" (the sweeping-out), where everyone slowly becomes sober again and cleans up the mess from Monday.

Hola!
I'll be partying on down at Cozumel's Carnival. I'm taking off tomorrow and will be back March 12th.
Enjoy your Carnival (Weiberfastnacht) Statistikhengst, I know I'll be enjoying mine!

6189371_51d5dbfdae_m.png

That looks like a lot of fun.

I saw a movie about the tradition of cutting a tie before but I cannot remember the rest of the story. Who knows! Maybe that is where the idea came from!

I bet Lorena Bobbit knows...

Hey I thought Carnival was the following week? If I still lived in N'awlins there would be no doubt, I know. In New Orleans you do one of two things, you either immerse yourself and go all out, or you get the hell out of town until it blows over. I've done both.

I came across this video today of a song I've been learning.. it's not a carnival song but I have to wonder what's going on in the background about a minute in.... masks and kings and blindfolds - it's dripping with symbolism.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywgy9Qdqzlo"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywgy9Qdqzlo[/ame]

The day went too fast for me today.....Didn't have much time to spend here, and I'm having withdrawal syndrome.....
Hopefully tomorrow will be better.....

goodnight.gif

No silly, they are molars, not front teeth. And, I never could whistle, anyway. Everyone thinks it's odd that I can't whistle...hmmmm, dang, no matter how hard I try....:(
Hey! I can't whistle either.

I'm so glad to hear that....until now, I've never met anyone that couldn't whistle, but now I can say I'm not the only one.....:)

If you mean the shrill long-distance kind of whistle, as opposed to the musical kind, then I can't either.

Our language needs two terms for these...

Hey! I can't whistle either.

I'm so glad to hear that....until now, I've never met anyone that couldn't whistle, but now I can say I'm not the only one.....:)

If you mean the shrill long-distance kind of whistle, as opposed to the musical kind, then I can't either.

No, I can't do any of them.....all that comes out is air....nothing musical about that!:eek:

No, I can't do any of them.....all that comes out is air....nothing musical about that!:eek:

Oh the musical one's easy. You just wet your lips and pucker up. :tongue:
After that use your tongue as a kind of slide whistle.

Shut your dirty minds, readers....

Stealing a march from somebody around here.... today's Famous People On a Swing:

01_stars_in_residence.jpg

wtf? Why doesn't my spoiler show up?

Pooh.

Oh the musical one's easy. You just wet your lips and pucker up. :tongue:
After that use your tongue as a kind of slide whistle.

Shut your dirty minds, readers....

/subscribe!!!

The day went too fast for me today.....Didn't have much time to spend here, and I'm having withdrawal syndrome.....
Hopefully tomorrow will be better.....

goodnight.gif

But we love having you around even if it is only for a short time! :smiliehug:

Sorry to dump that bummer story on you guys...it just was one of those "parents' worst nightmare" kind of things....

You don't need to feel sorry at all, [MENTION=20112]bodecea[/MENTION]. Everyone needs an outlet for their feelings and this has obviously upset you too. As a parent I know exactly what you mean by your "worst nightmare". So sharing this with us is perfectly normal and understandable. :smiliehug:

Peace
DT

Thanks, DT....and everyone else. I think it actually put me in a state of shock yesterday....today I'm much better.......but that poor family. :(

On the cheerful side....we're getting rain here soon.

About time too! Let's hope that it is the slow gentle soaking kind of rain.

Forum List

Back