The Future Of Egypt’s Copts – OpEd

Sally

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2012
When you read something like this, you can see why the Pope is worried about the Christians in the Middle East. The Copts are some of the original followers of Jesus, and look what is happening to them now.

The Future Of Egypt’s Copts – OpEd

February 8, 2014 Hudson Institute
By Hudson Institute

By Samuel Tadros

The fall of the Mubarak regime in February 2011 unleashed a monumental and contagious wave of optimism. Images of Christians and Muslims holding hands in Tahrir Square were broadcast around the world and gave credence to the narrative that a new more liberal and democratic Egypt was being born. The truth was entirely different.

Copts were never enthusiastic about the revolution. Perhaps it was the wisdom of centuries of persecution that taught minorities the eternal lesson of survival: that the persecuting dictator was always preferable to the mob. The ruler, after all, could be bought off or persuaded to back off, or constrained by foreign powers, but with the mob, you stood no chance. Some of the Coptic youth were lured by the promise of a liberal Egypt in which their plight might finally come to an end, but the older generation knew better. The promises of January 2011 soon gave way to the reality of May, when the churches of Imbaba were attacked, and October, the time of the Maspero massacre. The complete collapse of the police and the state’s repression apparatus liberated Islamists from any constraints. On the national level, Islamists soon swept elections and dominated the political sphere, and on the local level, Islamists, much more emboldened by the rise of their brethren nationally and the collapse of the police were asserting their power on Egyptian streets and villages and enforcing their views. While their leaders such as the Muslim Brotherhood’s Deputy General Guide, Khairat El Shater, were proclaiming their goal of the “Islamization of life,” local Islamists were making that goal a reality on the ground.

Patterns of persecution continued after the revolution and were reinforced. The number and scope of the attacks swelled dramatically and they were no longer limited to obscure villages or shantytowns but spread to the streets of Cairo and in front of the official TV headquarters. Church buildings were attacked and burned, mob violence against Copts was on the rise, and the new horror of forced evacuations from villages was becoming more common. Copts in small villages were increasingly forced to adhere to the Islamists’ standards and vision enforced on the ground. Accusations of blasphemy and insulting religion rose with Copts as their primary targets. Seven Copts today linger in Egyptian prisons as a result of court verdicts due to such accusations. The most worrisome aspect for Copts remains the participation of their neighbors, coworkers, and people they had grown up with in attacking them. Even if the Egyptian state ruled by the Muslim Brotherhood miraculously decided to intervene, the local hatreds are now impossible to contain.

To read more, go to:

The Future Of Egypt's Copts - OpEd Eurasia Review

Sadly, it appears the oldest organized Christian sect is facing extinction at the hands of the Muslim Brotherhood that practices that religion of peace and inclusion. :evil:

I just hope the monks possessing priceless scrolls and writing will be able to smuggle them out so scholars can study them. Perhaps even the Holy Grail and the Ark of the Covenant.

Sadly, it appears the oldest organized Christian sect is facing extinction at the hands of the Muslim Brotherhood that practices that religion of peace and inclusion. :evil:

I just hope the monks possessing priceless scrolls and writing will be able to smuggle them out so scholars can study them. Perhaps even the Holy Grail and the Ark of the Covenant.

Did you ever get the chance to visit the Getty Museum when the Icons of the Holy Land were being exhibited about 7 years ago. Anyone looking at these Icons (from the 2nd to the 4th Century A.D. and lent by St. Catherine's Church in the Sinai) could see how devout these original Christians were.

I wonder if there is any danger of a program of DESTRUCTION ---
of the ancient stuff?

I wonder if there is any danger of a program of DESTRUCTION ---
of the ancient stuff?

We know that the Muslim Brotherhood is determined to wipe our Israel and anything to do with Christianity. So, that goal would not surprise me. Just who is going to step up and try to save that stuff.

th

Forum List

Back