The GOPs New Star: Jindal

According to a small article in our local TBT (tampa bay times) it appears that the GOP think Mr. Jindal is the future of the Republican party....their very own Obama or so they say.

I don't see this happening. not if what they say his view are turn out to be accurate. he's against abortion without exception, he's against stem cell research and he's for teaching creationism in schools.

This guy sounds like the kind of rightwing nutter that the GOP should be running away from not running towards.

See I have no problem with guys like Jindal. We don't need to run from these views. We just need people that understand that these views are only part of the platfom, not the platform.

I am drawn to your posts due to the stir your little picture causes in me!
:whip:

:lol:

So, I have to ask as this question which has been building. Why does 2012 worry you so much?

Obama hasn't even been sworn in yet, hey you won!

For God's sake, relax and enjoy it.

I'm not worried but you can't deny that the GOP is already gearing up for 2012 or so the article in question would make it seem. Should I just ignore this until 2011?

By the way, congratulations on really doing some good research on Jindal. And NO, I am not saying that his personal belief system isn't what the article claims, nor am I endorsing it.

sorry, did I claim to have done research on him? nope. I said IF what the article claims is true then it's going to be a problem for him.

The article also went on to say that it's not a matter of IF Jindal is President but rather WHEN....pretty arrogant I'd say of those in the GOP who make those comments.....

I definitely agree with that. But, I also think that it is up to the individual what they choose to stress in their administration regardless of their personal view on a topic. For instance, someone may personally disagree with abortion, but do nothing to effect the status quo on the issue while in office.

Yes, exactly. Personally I don't like abortion, but I think it needs to remain a woman's choice. I feel this way on a lot of social issues. I don't have to like or agree with them but if we're going to say we have liberty and freedom for all we need to actually have it.

According to a small article in our local TBT (tampa bay times) it appears that the GOP think Mr. Jindal is the future of the Republican party....their very own Obama or so they say.

I don't see this happening. not if what they say his view are turn out to be accurate. he's against abortion without exception, he's against stem cell research and he's for teaching creationism in schools.

This guy sounds like the kind of rightwing nutter that the GOP should be running away from not running towards.

He may be the Obama of the Repub party without the brains cause Jindal isn't exactly an intellectual stud by any stretch

He may be the Obama of the Repub party without the brains cause Jindal isn't exactly an intellectual stud by any stretch

LOL.....you lefties crack me up! It's always the same old shit. If they are on the right, they are dumb as a post. Doesn't matter whether they are or not.

So, back up your point. Post Jindal's academic record. I don't really know anything about the guy. He may be smart, dumb or neither, but I want to see some facts.

Jesus Fucking Christ....you unmitigated fucking lying sack of shit!

He's a fucking Rhodes Scholar! And completed ahead of schedule at 23!

Isn't exactly an intellectual stud? You lying piece of shit.

Well, I think we have a clear understanding of the quality of your comments now.

Graduating Baton Rouge Magnet High School at age sixteen, Bobby Jindal left the South for the Ivy League. Opting to attend Brown University, he focused on Biology and Public Policy. Continued academic excellence was rewarded with a Rhodes Scholarship to Oxford University, where he wrote for the New Oxford Review, and received a Masters in political science.

Last edited:

Well, I think we have a clear understanding of the quality of your comments now.

wow...dial it back sparky....seriously...you act like he just called your mother a whore :lol:

you pubs sure are sensitive.... guess you want him to run in 2012 eh?:eusa_whistle:

wow...dial it back sparky....seriously...you act like he just called your mother a whore :lol:

you pubs sure are sensitive.... guess you want him to run in 2012 eh?:eusa_whistle:

I don't know anything about him. In 5 seconds of research I learned a 1000% more than I knew before. I just hate liars.

Last edited:
I don't know anything about him. In 5 seconds of research I learn a 1000% more than I knew before. I just hate liars.

it's not a lie....he didn't say the guy was a retard....just not an intellectual stud....

do you concede that Bill Clinton is intelligent? he's a Rhodes Scholar too.... so is Rachel Maddow apparently.....

it's not a lie....he didn't say the guy was a retard....just not an intellectual stud....

do you concede that Bill Clinton is intelligent? he's a Rhodes Scholar too.... so is Rachel Maddow apparently.....

I will certainly concede the scholastic excellence of anyone that was a Rhodes Scholar including Clinton and Maddow (whoever that is). Unless it were proven that something besides scholastic excellence got them there. Not making any accusation, but my understanding is that scholastic excellence is the way to get a Rhodes scholarship.

I have no issues with Rhodes Scholars. But perhaps, while giving him credit for his intellect, one might have to take away points for confusing religion with science?

Sorry, I don't know the back story on that one. Would you care to say how he has "confused religion with science?" I know he has a Biology degree from Brown, but are you saying he worships biology or something?

I will certainly concede the scholastic excellence of anyone that was a Rhodes Scholar including Clinton and Maddow (whoever that is). Unless it were proven that something besides scholastic excellence got them there. Not making any accusation, but my understanding is that scholastic excellence is the way to get a Rhodes scholarship.

Rachel Maddow is an ultra liberal lesbian who has a show on MSNBC....

and I agree....a Rhodes Scholar is obviously highly intelligent...which makes his views on abortion, stem cell research and creationism all the more interesting.... most educated people don't base their opinions on biblical teachings....they base it on scientific fact.

Rachel Maddow is an ultra liberal lesbian who has a show on MSNBC....

and I agree....a Rhodes Scholar is obviously highly intelligent...which makes his views on abortion, stem cell research and creationism all the more interesting.... most educated people don't base their opinions on biblical teachings....they base it on scientific fact.

Ok, I disagree with her politics and I couldn't care less who she sleeps with on a network I only catch one second at a time as I flip channels past it.

Hmmm....is there a chance his views are being misrepresented? Again, I'm not saying they are, but when confronted with a set of facts that on it's face don't go together, I usually recheck the facts.

FYI

Rhodes Scholars

Rhodes Scholarships were established by the will of Cecil J. Rhodes, English-born South African statesman and financier, who died in 1902. They provide appointments for study in the University of Oxford to students drawn from eighteen countries. Thirty-two students from the United States are selected annually. Rhodes Scholars are also chosen from Australia, Bermuda, the British Caribbean, Jamaica, Canada, Ceylon, Germany, Ghana, India, Malaysia, Malta, Nigeria, New Zealand, Pakistan, Rhodesia, South Africa, and Zambia.

Candidates for the Rhodes Scholarships in the United States are required to be unmarried citizens between the ages of eighteen and twenty-four, and they should have achieved at least junior standing in an accredited university or college. Competitions are held annually in each of the fifty states. Appointments to the scholarship are initially for a period of two years, with the possibility of renewal for a third. The stipend is calculated to cover all tuition expenses and to provide an allowance adequate to cover a student's living requirements.

Intellectual distinction is a necessary, but not the exclusive, condition for election to a Rhodes Scholarship. In keeping with the instructions of Rhodes's will, Rhodes Scholars are also expected to demonstrate qualities of character that promise potential service to others. Although less important than the other criteria for selection, Rhodes Scholars are further expected to possess physical vigor. The will further specifies that "no student shall be qualified or disqualified for election to a Scholarship on account of his race or religious opinions." As Rhodes Scholars are free to pursue any field of study available in the University of Oxford, so also have they chosen to enter a wide variety of professional careers.

Since 1904, when the first American delegation arrived at Oxford, and 2000, exactly 2,918 Americans had been awarded Rhodes Scholarships. Until 1975 the competition for the Rhodes Scholarships was restricted, by the terms of Rhodes's will, to male students. In 1976 changes in British law permitted the opening of the competition to women and Oxford admitted the first class of women Rhodes Scholars. By 2000 more than 298 women had won this scholarship.

Being a Rhodes Scholar is quite an accomplishment.

It's not all about academics, but certainly nobody who recieves this honor is less than brilliant.

Hmmm....is there a chance his views are being misrepresented? Again, I'm not saying they are, but when confronted with a set of facts that on it's face don't go together, I usually recheck the facts.

okay, I did some research... prior to becoming Gov or Lousianna he was in the House of Representatives and here is his voting record on some issues.

Bobby Jindal on the Issues

on the issues:

Abortion:

1. I'm pro-life. (Jun 2008)
  2. Voted NO on expanding research to more embryonic stem cell lines. (Jan 2007)
  3. Voted NO on allowing human embryonic stem cell research. (May 2005)
  4. Voted YES on restricting interstate transport of minors to get abortions. (Apr 2005)
  5. Rated 100% by the NRLC, indicating a pro-life stance. (Dec 2006)
  6. Prohibit transporting minors across state lines for abortion. (Jan 2008)
on civil rights:

1. Supports constitutional amendment to define marriage. (Jun 2008)
  2. Voted YES on Constitutionally defining marriage as one-man-one-woman. (Jul 2006)
  3. Voted YES on making the PATRIOT Act permanent. (Dec 2005)
  4. Rated 0% by the HRC, indicating an anti-gay-rights stance. (Dec 2006)
  5. Rated 33% by the NAACP, indicating an anti-affirmative-action stance. (Dec 2006)

on crime:

Capital punishment for rape as well as murder. (Jun 2008) *wow*

Education

1. Too many of our campuses have buildings with leaking roofs. (Mar 2008)
  2. Tax deductions for tuition & qualified educational expenses. (Mar 2008)
  3. Voted NO on allowing Courts to decide on "God" in Pledge of Allegiance. (Jul 2006)
  4. Voted NO on $84 million in grants for Black and Hispanic colleges. (Mar 2006)

on Homeland security:

1. Voted YES on restricting no-bid defense contracts. (Mar 2007)
  2. Voted YES on allowing electronic surveillance without a warrant. (Sep 2006)
  3. Voted YES on continuing intelligence gathering without civil oversight. (Apr 2006)
  4. Voted YES on federalizing rules for driver licenses to hinder terrorists. (Feb 2005)
  5. Voted YES on continuing military recruitment on college campuses. (Feb 2005)

On Immigration:

1. Voted YES on building a fence along the Mexican border. (Sep 2006)
  2. Voted YES on preventing tipping off Mexicans about Minuteman Project. (Jun 2006)
  3. Rated 100% by USBC, indicating a sealed-border stance. (Dec 2006)
  4. Government services in English only. (Mar 2008)
  5. Declare English as the official language of the US. (Feb 2007)

I am not very knowledgable on stem cell research but aren't most of the discoveries done through Adult Stem Cell research rather then embryonic?

I am not very knowledgable on stem cell research but aren't most of the discoveries done through Adult Stem Cell research rather then embryonic?

good question Andrew...I don't know that answer either.... anyone?

sorry, how do they get adult stem cells? obviously they get them from adults :lol: are they dead or alive though?

Wow, someone needs an anger management course! I was referring to the fact that he wants Creationism taught in schools, that alone - to me, makes me think he's not an intellectual stud. Is that better nutjob?

An adult stem cell is an undifferentiated cell found among differentiated cells in a tissue or organ, can renew itself, and can differentiate to yield the major specialized cell types of the tissue or organ. The primary roles of adult stem cells in a living organism are to maintain and repair the tissue in which they are found. Some scientists now use the term somatic stem cell instead of adult stem cell. Unlike embryonic stem cells, which are defined by their origin (the inner cell mass of the blastocyst), the origin of adult stem cells in mature tissues is unknown.

adult stem cells have been identified in many organs and tissues. One important point to understand about adult stem cells is that there are a very small number of stem cells in each tissue. Stem cells are thought to reside in a specific area of each tissue where they may remain quiescent (non-dividing) for many years until they are activated by disease or tissue injury. The adult tissues reported to contain stem cells include brain, bone marrow, peripheral blood, blood vessels, skeletal muscle, skin and liver.

Scientists in many laboratories are trying to find ways to grow adult stem cells in cell culture and manipulate them to generate specific cell types so they can be used to treat injury or disease. Some examples of potential treatments include replacing the dopamine-producing cells in the brains of Parkinson's patients, developing insulin-producing cells for type I diabetes and repairing damaged heart muscle following a heart attack with cardiac muscle cells.

What are adult stem cells? [Stem Cell Information]

good site, explains it pretty well.

I am going to do some more reading on it, but if anyone knows what are the benefits of embryonic over adult?

edit

ahh, seems that embryonic can be manipluated to duplicate any body part as to where adult can be made t use certain parts of the body

Last edited:

Forum List

Back