The Hamas Charter, it's significance and some context...

The Covenant of the Islamic Resistance Movement indicates it is a branch of the Muslim Brotherhood. It more than likely came out of Egyptian MB although it's final version could very well have been written by Sheikh Ahmad Yassin. No. Nobody threw additional text in there. It was first published in August of 1988.
So the parenthetical items were in the original?

Does you know where the Hamas "Covenant" from 1988 came from or if there is an original, and if so, where it can be read?

And it says: "The Day of Judgement will not come about until Moslems fight the Jews (killing the Jews), when the Jew will hide behind stones and trees. The stones and trees will say O Moslems, O Abdulla, there is a Jew behind me, come and kill him." This, as they continue is due to the: "Jews' usurpation of Palestine..."

Does the actual document say (killing the Jews) or did the Yale editor throw that in?

This is in the original text, and, to my understanding, in the hadith which is the source.

Here is another translation:

As the prophet [Muhammad], may the prayer of Allah and his blessing of peace be upon him, said: “The time [Judgment Day] will not come until Muslims fight the Jews and kill them...

This source also has the original Arabic if anyone happens to be fluent in that language.

We have a certain poster that mentions 'The Hamas Charter' on many threads. I decided to investigate.

I found a Hamas "Covenant" from 1988 from Yale's site which is the one we have seen posted here many times: The Avalon Project : Hamas Covenant 1988

I am not sure where this document comes from or who wrote it. Does anyone know?

It talks about the Islamic Resistance Movement and a struggle against the zionist invaders that goes back to 1939. They hold the zionists responsible for undermining society, destroying values and corrupting consciences through an over representation in the media, an idea not only held by Hamas. It acknowledges the zionist plan for Eretz Israel which they see as the real goal of the zionist regime.

And it says: "The Day of Judgement will not come about until Moslems fight the Jews (killing the Jews), when the Jew will hide behind stones and trees. The stones and trees will say O Moslems, O Abdulla, there is a Jew behind me, come and kill him." This, as they continue is due to the: "Jews' usurpation of Palestine..."

Does the actual document say (killing the Jews) or did the Yale editor throw that in? Does anyone know where this came from or if there is an original?

It continues: "In their Nazi treatment, the Jews made no exception for women or children. Their policy of striking fear in the heart is meant for all. They attack people where their breadwinning is concerned, extorting their money and threatening their honour. They deal with people as if they were the worst war criminals. Deportation from the homeland is a kind of murder." And: "We should not forget to remind every Moslem that when the Jews conquered the Holy City in 1967, they stood on the threshold of the Aqsa Mosque and proclaimed that "Mohammed is dead, and his descendants are all women.""

And then I came across a story about a new charter, released just this year from this Jewish source: Hamas presents new charter supporting Palestinian state along 1967 borders

They agree to a free Palestine based on the 1967 map which is a huge concession in their eyes and they clarify their position on Jews and zionists. While they refuse to recognize the legitimacy of the zionist entity, they affirm that their conflict is with the "Zionist project not with the Jews because of their religion."

Palestine is a land that was seized by a racist, anti-human and colonial Zionist project...

Catastrophes... cannot erase the identity of the Palestinian people nor can they negate it...

Hamas in 2017: The document in full

I realize the zionists hate international law, especially regarding right of return, but the updated version sounds pretty reasonable, yes? Are the zionists willing to commit to the '67 map? Do they want two states like they tell the world?

Alas, whilst the new 'charter' goes some way to removing the hatred for Jews it is still an article of non debate and still makes some claims that are virtually impossible to achieve, even with negotiations, it would be near impossible to achieve everything written in the new 'charter'.

Take the support of the '67 'borders' as just one example...

“Hamas advocates the liberation of all of Palestine but is ready to support the state on 1967 borders without recognising Israel or ceding any rights” - Khaled Meshal

Just how would that work exactly? A border with a country that isn't recognised?

There have been far too many 'mistakes' by Palestinian leaders over the years, still are. It is time for Hamas to step aside, Fatah too if necessary, and bring in a leadership that is prepared to think clearly, logically, without simply considering their own agenda above all others, to the exclusion of all others.

I don't think that it is helpful for Israel to have dismissed the new 'charter' before it was fully released. Kind of indicates that Israel has zero interest in trying to work for a solution.

Totally agree.

We have a certain poster that mentions 'The Hamas Charter' on many threads. I decided to investigate.

I found a Hamas "Covenant" from 1988 from Yale's site which is the one we have seen posted here many times: The Avalon Project : Hamas Covenant 1988

It talks about the Islamic Resistance Movement and a struggle against the zionist invaders that goes back to 1939. They hold the zionists responsible for undermining society, destroying values and corrupting consciences through an over representation in the media, an idea not only held by Hamas. It acknowledges the zionist plan for Eretz Israel which they see as the real goal of the zionist regime.

Does the actual document say (killing the Jews) or did the Yale editor throw that in? Does anyone know where this came from or if there is an original?

It continues: "In their Nazi treatment, the Jews made no exception for women or children. Their policy of striking fear in the heart is meant for all. They attack people where their breadwinning is concerned, extorting their money and threatening their honour. They deal with people as if they were the worst war criminals. Deportation from the homeland is a kind of murder." And: "We should not forget to remind every Moslem that when the Jews conquered the Holy City in 1967, they stood on the threshold of the Aqsa Mosque and proclaimed that "Mohammed is dead, and his descendants are all women.""

And then I came across a story about a new charter, released just this year from this Jewish source: Hamas presents new charter supporting Palestinian state along 1967 borders

They agree to a free Palestine based on the 1967 map which is a huge concession in their eyes and they clarify their position on Jews and zionists. While they refuse to recognize the legitimacy of the zionist entity, they affirm that their conflict is with the "Zionist project not with the Jews because of their religion."

Palestine is a land that was seized by a racist, anti-human and colonial Zionist project...

Catastrophes... cannot erase the identity of the Palestinian people nor can they negate it...

I realize the zionists hate international law, especially regarding right of return, but the updated version sounds pretty reasonable, yes? Are the zionists willing to commit to the '67 map? Do they want two states like they tell the world?
The so called Hamas Charter was a recruiting flyer written by one man during the first intifada. It was never endorsed by any of the Hamas leadership.

The so called Hamas Charter was a recruiting flyer written by one man during the first intifada. It was never endorsed by any of the Hamas leadership.
I there a link to the original? Are the parenthetical references in document from the Yale site that Hollie posts from there in the original? Who wrote it? How did it become known?

Last edited:
I don't think that it is helpful for Israel to have dismissed the new 'charter' before it was fully released. Kind of indicates that Israel has zero interest in trying to work for a solution.
There is no new charter, but rather "A Document of General Principles and Policies".
A Document of General Principles and Policies
Israel has zero interest to work with a terrorist group wishing to destroy the Jewish state. Replacing "Jews" by "Zionists" doesn't change anything.

The Covenant of the Islamic Resistance Movement indicates it is a branch of the Muslim Brotherhood. It more than likely came out of Egyptian MB although it's final version could very well have been written by Sheikh Ahmad Yassin. No. Nobody threw additional text in there. It was first published in August of 1988.
So the parenthetical items were in the original?

Does you know where the Hamas "Covenant" from 1988 came from or if there is an original, and if so, where it can be read?

Yep. Just gave it to you.

Link?

Odd that you would suggest the Hamas charter is not endorsed by the Hamas leadership. Could it be that the Hamas leadership were just too busy counting their welfare fraud checks to be bothered to remove the term “Hamas” from the Hamas charter?

It's called let's rewrite history. Hamas is a terrorist organization and a branch of the MB. Always has been. They were given the opportunity to sit at the grown ups table in 2006. They could not handle that. Frankly, Hamas should be driven to the sea. For those members of Hamas that live in the states, they should be deported.

Link?
Give me the list of people who endorsed this document.

Link?

Can I provide you with a list of the Hamas Islamic terrorist leadership?

Link?

Just the ones who endorsed that document would suffice.

Last edited:

Link?

Just the ones who endorsed that document wound suffice.

I’m afraid I don’t personally know any Islamic terrorists representing that particular franchise of Islamic Terrorism Intl., Inc.

Provide a list of Hamas officials who have repudiated their charter.

Link?

I’m afraid I don’t personally know any Islamic terrorists representing that particular franchise of Islamic Terrorism Intl., Inc.

That's easy. They usually sign the bottom. That should be right on the document.

Sheikh Ahmad Yassin, Mahmoud Zahar, Khaled Mishal, Salah Shehadah, Mousa Abu Marzook, Imad al-Alami, Osama Hamdan, Ismail Haniyeh, and Sheikh Jamal Salim are a few.

That's easy. They usually sign the bottom. That should be right on the document.

I can understand I hurt your tender islamo-feelings with criticism of your Islamic terrorist heroes. You will have to adjust to that.

Please identify why, for example, Khaled Mashal would have signed a document originating in 1987 prior to his membership in the Cult?

Still nothing about why Hamas would not publicly disavow their charter? As the self-promoted politburo spokesbeard for the Hamas Islamic terrorist franchise, why can’t you provide the names of the Hamas officials who have repudiated the charter? Their names should appear on the bottom of the document.

They don't need to sign. Simply promote and speak on. Yassin, folks. Hamas............still the bad guys. A branch of the Muslim Brotherhood.........still the bad guys.

What everyone is forgetting here is that Israel played "footsie" with Hamas prior to the PA. They had a form of diplomacy with them as a counter to Fatah. Some Israeli leaders saw Hamas as an org focused on community and religious development and harbored deep historical grudges for Fatah.

Of course -- this all changed with the PA and the hand-over of Gaza and the subsequent Civil War. Hamas militarized their mission once there was something to fight over.

The "right of return" clauses in the 2000 Hamas C&R document that they ran on is the equivalent of denying Israels' sovereignty. When right of return means uncontrolled, unvetted access to Israel -- it's no different than a ploy to invade at will. There's a FORM of "right of return", but only for people who want to live under Israeli law and authority.

In the beginning Hamas wasn't viewed as a threat and initially their targets were not Israelis. The MB looked like crap at the time and needed a different front.

Forum List

Back