The History of Curry.

Mindful

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2014
Here, there, and everywhere.
The History of Curry
You probably know that curry comes from India and that there are many different curry dishes. But what were its origins? And how did it end up in the UK? In this blog we’ll be answering those questions.

The History of Curry in India

The story of curry goes all the way back to the Indus Valley Civilisation. This culture in the Northwest of Asia dates back to the time between 3300 BCE to 1300 BCE. Archaeologists have found evidence that they used a mortar and a pestle to blend spices such as cumin, fennel and tamarind pods and mixed them with their food. Another spice that is related to the Indian subcontinent and South Asia is black pepper, which was first introduced all the way back in 2000 BCE.

The Mughal Empire, which dates from the early 15th century, also had a major influence on certain types of curry, largely in the North. Portugal’s establishment of a trading centre in Goa in 1510 also influenced some curry dishes and was followed by the introduction of chilli peppers from America to the Indian subcontinent.

Where Does the Name Curry Come From?

I do use hot peppers in mine and I do like the Tumeric, supposed to help with inflammation..

Last edited:
History of Curry-
Golden State Warriors 2009-2022
You're welcome

Try a few tablespoons of canned pumpkin pie filling (it's not sweetened) with a little soymilk and curry to make a thick curry sauce over cuts of chicken and rice.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back