The Islam Thread

Jesus also said judgment is for the afterlife... not for men to judge others. He was fairly specific on the subject, no?

Its funny how you non-Christian liberals think you're so smart when you start quoting the bible.

Here's a few more verse for you to ponder over:

And if anyone causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to be thrown into the sea with a large millstone tied around his neck. 43If your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life maimed than with two hands to go into hell, where the fire never goes out.[c] 45And if your foot causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life crippled than to have two feet and be thrown into hell.[d] 47And if your eye causes you to sin, pluck it out.

And how about Jesus on marriage and adultry?

5"It was because your hearts were hard that Moses wrote you this law," Jesus replied. 6"But at the beginning of creation God 'made them male and female.'[a] 7'For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, 8and the two will become one flesh.'[c] So they are no longer two, but one. 9Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate."

10When they were in the house again, the disciples asked Jesus about this. 11He answered, "Anyone who divorces his wife and marries another woman commits adultery against her. 12And if she divorces her husband and marries another man, she commits adultery."

You still think Jesus is a liberal? He wouldnt even allow a woman to remarry.
And For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh, notice he doesn't say man will be united to his wife or husband...

Its funny how you non-Christian liberals think you're so smart when you start quoting the bible.

Here's a few more verse for you to ponder over:

And how about Jesus on marriage and adultry?

You still think Jesus is a liberal? He wouldnt even allow a woman to remarry.
And For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh, notice he doesn't say man will be united to his wife or husband...

Your first quote was about CAUSING others to sin.... It doesn't apply to not judging, which is what we were discussing.

As for your post about marriage, it was in the context of a discussion about a man and woman... it has nothing to do with homosexuality. And his comments on divorce, while interesting, are in accordance with Jewish law at the time.

Do you believe one can't be divorced?

No one is talking about final Judgement. And to my knowlege, it has mostly to do with belief in Jesus, not so much the sins one has commited. And yes, that certainly is up to Jesus in the End :clap1:

I'm certainly not an expert, but it seems to me any reasonable reading of Jesus' words have nothing to do with belief in him but are an admonition against men judging each other. That is the province of the divine.

I don't think it will have anything to do with Jesus in the end. It will have to do with the Almighty, though. And I think it interesting that you glossed over Jesus' words about how people will be treated in the hereafter with the same harshness with which they treated others.

Your first quote was about CAUSING others to sin.... It doesn't apply to not judging, which is what we were discussing.

Jillian, if I may please interject. The very famous command "Judge not, lest you too be judged," is also one of the most abused. The rest of the passage talks about removing the plank from your own eye so that you can remove the speck in someone else's eye. In other words, Jesus is speaking against hypocritical judging, not judgment altogether. In fact, in another passage, Jesus commands, "Stop judging by mere appearances, and make a right judgment." (John 7:24)

Jillian, if I may please interject. The very famous command "Judge not, lest you too be judged," is also one of the most abused. The rest of the passage talks about removing the plank from your own eye so that you can remove the speck in someone else's eye. In other words, Jesus is speaking against hypocritical judging, not judgment altogether. In fact, in another passage, Jesus commands, "Stop judging by mere appearances, and make a right judgment." (John 7:24)

Of course you can interject! I appreciate your input and certainly never claimed expertise, though the topic interests me.

Now...first, you understand that I don't see the Bible as a literal document and, frankly, the NT isn't my Book. I'll assume your interpretation to be correct, but I have this question. If we take as fact that the admonition was against hypocritical judging, then who's determination is it as to whether the person judging is hypocritical or not?

Of course you can interject! I appreciate your input and certainly never claimed expertise, though the topic interests me.

Now...first, you understand that I don't see the Bible as a literal document and, frankly, the NT isn't my Book. I'll assume your interpretation to be correct, but I have this question. If we take as fact that the admonition was against hypocritical judging, then who's determination is it as to whether the person judging is hypocritical or not?

I understand where you're coming from (I think :) ).

Who determines whether judgment is hypocritical? Well, I would say that if you are admonishing someone for their behavior/views, and doing the same thing yourself, that's hypocritical judgment. So if I chided you for speeding down the freeway, when I speed myself, that would fit the definition. I'm sure that one could hide his hypocrisy pretty well, but that doesn't make them unhypocritical.

I don't think you're stupid in any way. You just come across as pissed off all the time...

Oh, I forgot one classic liberal poster quality: The accusation that the other guy is angry. This is one of the best comebacks liberals use because it's impossible to defend against. And they really believe it, too, so like other reactions liberals have to ideas they don't like, it allows them to further demonize their adversary by simply dismissing any opinion that person has by claiming they're irrational because they're "pissed off".

Trust me, Dr. Grump. When I get pissed off, you'll know it.:beer:

I understand where you're coming from (I think :) ).

Who determines whether judgment is hypocritical? Well, I would say that if you are admonishing someone for their behavior/views, and doing the same thing yourself, that's hypocritical judgment. So if I chided you for speeding down the freeway, when I speed myself, that would fit the definition. I'm sure that one could hide his hypocrisy pretty well, but that doesn't make them unhypocritical.

Fair enough on that end and with a fairly uncomplicated fact-pattern. But... what about a situation where one judges the morality of another lacking in a more general way? For example, say person A chastizes person B for general immorality... you know, as was done to me a little while because, of course, you know, "liberals" can't be moral. Right? Yet, assume that person supports governmental positions which I find morally repugnant, such as leaving our poorest and weakest and oldest without a safety net. Isn't that more complicated fact-pattern why Jesus says that people shouldn't be passing judgment? And didn't he say he who is without sin should throw the first stone?

As for your post about marriage, it was in the context of a discussion about a man and woman... it has nothing to do with homosexuality. And his comments on divorce, while interesting, are in accordance with Jewish law at the time.

Do you believe one can't be divorced?

Wow, you are more delusional than I thought. "It has nothing to do with homosexuality" LOL, no shit, because he clearly states that a man will marry a woman. But in your delusional mind that leaves the door open for a man to marry a man. And what in the hell does being in accordance with Jewish law at the time have to do with anything? As if Jesus would have a different view on the subject if the Jews allowed divorce and remarriage at the time?

I mean seriously Jillian, do you honestly believe Jesus would approve homosexuality as a moral act?

Wow, you are more delusional than I thought. "It has nothing to do with homosexuality" LOL, no shit, because he clearly states that a man will marry a woman. But in your delusional mind that leaves the door open for a man to marry a man. And what in the hell does being in accordance with Jewish law at the time have to do with anything? As if Jesus would have a different view on the subject if the Jews allowed divorce and remarriage at the time?

I mean seriously Jillian, do you honestly believe Jesus would approve homosexuality as a moral act?

I already told you. It's irrelevant what Jesus would have thought of homosexuality. I DO believe he'd have defended them from oppression by others.

Fair enough on that end and with a fairly uncomplicated fact-pattern. But... what about a situation where one judges the morality of another lacking in a more general way? For example, say person A chastizes person B for general immorality... you know, as was done to me a little while because, of course, you know, "liberals" can't be moral. Right? Yet, assume that person supports governmental positions which I find morally repugnant, such as leaving our poorest and weakest and oldest without a safety net. Isn't that more complicated fact-pattern why Jesus says that people shouldn't be passing judgment? And didn't he say he who is without sin should throw the first stone?

Jillian, every person I know who quotes that verse to support a "you can't judge sin" argument, forgets(?) the subsequent absolutely key statement by Jesus. His final words to the adulteress? "Go, and sin no more". Jesus did not use the situation to tell us that we cannot or should not abhor sin.

Jillian, every person I know who quotes that verse to support a "you can't judge sin" argument, forgets(?) the subsequent absolutely key statement by Jesus. His final words to the adulteress? "Go, and sin no more". Jesus did not use the situation to tell us that we cannot or should not abhor sin.

Fair enough. But to that end, doesn't it seem like saying "go and sin no more" is an instruction for governing one's persoanal behavior as opposed to judging someone else's?

Fair enough. But to that end, doesn't it seem like saying "go and sin no more" is an instruction for governing one's persoanal behavior as opposed to judging someone else's?

Not necessarily. We are to "call people out" on their sins, if you will to keep them from sin:
"Brothers, if anyone is caught in any transgression, you who are spiritual should restore him in a spirit of gentleness. Keep watch on yourself, lest you too be tempted. Bear one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ." (Galatians 6:1-2)

Not necessarily. We are to "call people out" on their sins, if you will to keep them from sin:
"Brothers, if anyone is caught in any transgression, you who are spiritual should restore him in a spirit of gentleness. Keep watch on yourself, lest you too be tempted. Bear one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ." (Galatians 6:1-2)

Isn't there something in the NT too about airing dirty laundry or something? The only reason I ask is because I've seen Christians do that many times. They accuse each other of violating some rule that says Christians shouldn't judge other Christians in public. Something like that.

No, I don't believe so. In fact, Jesus did not argue the right of the locals to stone adulteresses; even though that is exactly what the crowd was trying to get him to do to trip him up and get him in trouble.

The spirit in which it is done is important. I don't believe, for example, that Jesus would be a fan of the Fred Phelps "God hates fags" sort of judgment.

The Bible shows us how to tell who is acting with God's spirit, and who is not. It's not an easy standard to follow without God's help.

Galatians 5
19 Now the works of the flesh are obvious, which are: adultery, sexual immorality, uncleanness, lustfulness,

20 idolatry, sorcery, hatred, strife, jealousies, outbursts of anger, rivalries, divisions, heresies,

21 envyings, murders, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these; of which I forewarn you, even as I also forewarned you, that those who practice such things will not inherit the Kingdom of God.

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faith,

23 gentleness, and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

Yet another tried and tired argument by the liberals: 'CONSERVATIVES WANT TO KILL THE POOR'! What a whack job!

Now, now, Glock. Jillian didn't say that.

Some of the liberal rhetoric is definately over the top but they've never actually come and said conservatives want to kill anybody. They just accuse them of killing people all the time. Like Katrina and black people. But they say things like that when they're upset so you have to cut them some slack sometimes.

Isn't there something in the NT too about airing dirty laundry or something? The only reason I ask is because I've seen Christians do that many times. They accuse each other of violating some rule that says Christians shouldn't judge other Christians in public. Something like that.

Christians are not supposed to gossip. That is in the NT.

Oh, I forgot one classic liberal poster quality: The accusation that the other guy is angry. This is one of the best comebacks liberals use because it's impossible to defend against. And they really believe it, too, so like other reactions liberals have to ideas they don't like, it allows them to further demonize their adversary by simply dismissing any opinion that person has by claiming they're irrational because they're "pissed off".

Trust me, Dr. Grump. When I get pissed off, you'll know it.:beer:

I am not talking about your posts per se – they live and die on their own merit. I’m talking about what comes through with what you post. I don’t think I’ve read the content of one of your posts and dismissed it because you seem angry all the time. I’m just commenting on what appears to be your state of mind when you post. If you think I’m dismissing the content due to your state of mind, you are dead wrong and I think I have proven that by addressing content the vast majority of the times I have rebutted your posts. IOW, that dog won’t hunt…but I’d also add, I find a lot of what you do say interesting..

Forum List

Back