🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

The Meaning of Life

rightwinger

Award Winning USMB Paid Messageboard Poster
Aug 4, 2009
You spend your life writing your book. Some are exciting, some are dull, some are evil. Day by day, you add chapters to your book.
When you die, your book is placed on a shelf.

Most books are pretty mundane and are only read by a few people. But those people will read them over and over.
Other books are spectacular and read by people around the world.
Others are quickly forgotten and never read again

You spend your life writing your book. Some are exciting, some are dull, some are evil. Day by day, you add chapters to your book.

Most books are pretty mundane and are only read by a few people. But those people will read them over and over.
And after you're dead it doesn;t matter

You spend your life writing your book.
Approached a math student who seemed a little blue and wasn't working. Went over to see if he needed help. Before I could say anything he asked me, "What is the meaning of life?"

I smiled and said, "To learn and to have fun."

His eyes grew wide as he thought about this. Then he smiled and began working on his math problem with no further help from me.

Yes, our lives are a story. No, that story is not the meaning of life. Worrying about what one's story says about them is vanity.

I am amazed, how few people there are who know what the correct answer is, when asked “What is The Meaning of Life?”

Most people think that the answer must be some profound philosophical bullshit.

I do like one of the four answers through which Google cycles when you ask the question via it's voice-based Assistant, which cites the two late 20th century philosophers Bill & Ted, even though that answer is incorrect.

The correct answer is that it's the title of a Monty Python film from 1983.

Why does there always have to be a "meaning" to life?
Why cant it just be?
There are those of us who see the absolute absurdity of life and know that it has no meaning.

Just enjoy the ride because that's all life is.

They will use yours for toilet paper

Approached a math student who seemed a little blue and wasn't working. Went over to see if he needed help. Before I could say anything he asked me, "What is the meaning of life?"

I smiled and said, "To learn and to have fun."

His eyes grew wide as he thought about this. Then he smiled and began working on his math problem with no further help from me.
Ah yes… special Ed was a fun class. #thegoodoldays

And after you're dead it doesn;t matter
Sure it does. A legacy should be important to your family. However, I ask people all the time these questions"
1. What is your father's name and what kind of work does he do?
2. What is your grandfather's name and what kind of work did he do?
3. What is your great-grandfather's name and what kind of work did he do?
Most people get stumped with their grandfather's name or work. Rarely can I get an answer with great-grandfathers.
Then, I ask them, if your great-grandfather was Bill Gates or Elon Musk, would you remember his name and what he did and why? It's all about the legacy one leaves behind. Not always about money but can be about other important family traditions or things done in life. Family History is a great way to remember our kindred dead and build their legacy so they aren't left on a shelf.

There is no concrete meaning to life. And ironically, by the time we start to figure things out - we are past the time when it would make a difference.
I love truisms... and I love this one- the greatest tragedy in life is the most important decisions we make, come at at a time we are the least capable of making them.

The more important phrase is not what is the meaning of life, rather, what are the secrets to a good life.

Your life is what you make of it

Some make the world better
Most lead a good life and build a strong family that outlives them
Some are evil and make the world worse

The meaning of life is meaningless. The secret to life is having something to look forward to.

IMO the meaning of life is to learn lessons.

Life is like a school..... people are in different classes, some are in kindergarten, others in High School others at the University.....but all of us are here to learn our lessons.

My two cents.:dunno:

You spend your life writing your book

Most people's book is ...

shutterstock_2800547.0.0.jpg

Sure it does. A legacy should be important to your family. However, I ask people all the time these questions"
1. What is your father's name and what kind of work does he do?
2. What is your grandfather's name and what kind of work did he do?
3. What is your great-grandfather's name and what kind of work did he do?
Most people get stumped with their grandfather's name or work. Rarely can I get an answer with great-grandfathers.
Then, I ask them, if your great-grandfather was Bill Gates or Elon Musk, would you remember his name and what he did and why? It's all about the legacy one leaves behind. Not always about money but can be about other important family traditions or things done in life. Family History is a great way to remember our kindred dead and build their legacy so they aren't left on a shelf.
I can answer those.

My father was a deadbeat alcoholic who died when I was 8 and who wanted nothing to do with me.
My mother was a drug addict who overdosed and died when I was 14
Don;t know my grandparents

Why does it matter? I don't think it does.

Forum List

Back