The O.J. trial taught us one thing, we are still a racially divided nation.

nycflasher

Apr 15, 2004
CT
"....Minutes after the verdict was announced, we learned something disheartening: The chasm between whites and blacks in this country was more pronounced than anyone imagined. As TV stations started showing various reactions to the verdict around the country, those images confirmed everything we refused to believe for 15 months. The defense was right. This trial wasn't about a double-murder, it was about a distressing racial divide, a legacy of mistrust between blacks and whites.

The O.J. trial taught us one thing, we are still a racially divided nation.

At the time, many African-Americans had trouble trusting police, lawyers, the legal process as a whole ... too many of their own people had been railroaded or mistreated over the years, personified by the revolting images from the Rodney King beating and the subsequent acquittal of the policemen involved. These scars affected every facet of Simpson's defense: the jury selection, the defense, even the verdict. When the system acquitted a clearly culpable man, some of these same African-Americans rejoiced upon hearing the news. One of their own had finally beaten the system. Didn't matter how.

And yes, some blacks believed O.J. was guilty, just like some whites believed he was innocent. But those weren't the images that television chose to show us. And that remains the legacy of the trial, that astonishing moment when the verdict was announced -- My God, he's going to walk -- followed by many blacks celebrating like they won the Super Bowl, many whites recoiling in horror, O.J. and his team rejoicing, and saddest of all, Kim Goldman and her father sobbing uncontrollably. Ten years later, that image of the Goldmans endures over everything else, a sobering reminder of two brutal murders, of the mounds of evidence pointing to one man, of a trial that evolved into something else.

Ten years later, we're still picking up the pieces. And if you can't remember what happened ... maybe you're lucky."more

No, it taught us that the race card can still be counted on to over rule all common sense and overwhelming evidence.

He did it. The murders had nothing to do with race, but his acquital did.

Judge Ito will go down in history as the lamest judge ever. He lost control of the proceedings from day one.

Originally posted by HGROKIT
No, it taught us that the race card can still be counted on to over rule all common sense and overwhelming evidence.

Judge Ito will go down in history as the lamest judge ever. He lost control of the proceedings from day one.

It also reminded us that we are still a racially divided nation.
This time a black guy got off because he was rich and famous.
And this made some people doubly pissed.

It was clear that many blacks still hold a grudge against white people. I heard comments on the radio recently from black men calling in saying that they didnt really care about OJ and they even admitted that they think he probably did it. They just wanted a black guy to get off for something.

Wheres the logic in that?

Originally posted by insein
It was clear that many blacks still hold a grudge against white people.
A grudge? Thats I nice way to put it.

Originally posted by William Joyce
The races don't get along and never will. Our best bet is to move toward racial separation.

That or just kill all the jews and blacks.:rolleyes:

Don't be such a pussy, Joyce.

I have two problems with the premise of the original post.

1)OJ Trial was almost a decade ago. How would it tell us anything about today?

2)Ive seen no evidence of a racial divide between those who thought he was guilty and those who thought he wasnt. In fact almost everyone i know when the verdict was read was cheering simply because the justice system worked. the prosecution didnt prove its case. and until there is sufficienet evidence to prove it he is innocent. I just feel bad cause he got screwed over with the civil law suit despite the fact that he was found not guilty.

Originally posted by Avatar4321

1)OJ Trial was almost a decade ago. How would it tell us anything about today?
------read the whole article. Also, today and ten years are not that far apart in the course of American history. Are they?

2)....I just feel bad cause he got screwed over with the civil law suit despite the fact that he was found not guilty.
------you may be the only one

Originally posted by dilloduck
The NAACP does as much as they can to make SURE we remain a racially divided nation.

Thats for damn sure. Slavery was horrible. Black oppression of the late 19th and early 20th centuries were horrible. But its the 21st century now. Get the fuck over it. How will we ever be one human race if they keep harping on the past. Remember the past yes. Harp on it and seek retribution, HELL NO!!!

Originally posted by insein
Thats for damn sure. Slavery was horrible. Black oppression of the late 19th and early 20th centuries were horrible. But its the 21st century now. Get the fuck over it. How will we ever be one human race if they keep harping on the past. Remember the past yes. Harp on it and seek retribution, HELL NO!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

The difference in opinion from the black community and white america of the OJ trial does show that we are racially divided. But whose fault is it?

Take a glimpse at this story http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/mardi06.shtml

"Some black leaders also blasted news coverage of the Fat Tuesday riot, saying it unfairly portrayed the violence as being largely instigated by blacks."

The problem is that it WAS instigated by blacks. In fact every single one of the assailents were black. And it was all on video tape. But some black leaders still had to claim racism. And the perpetrators were not charged with hate crimes. And the story didn't get national media attention. Yet, whenever a group of whites assualts and kills a black man somewhere in america, it usually gets national media attention and they are not only charged with murder but it is under the category of a race-related hate crime.

So to sum up my point...Who is getting the shit end of the stick here, the black community or the white community?

Originally posted by HGROKIT

The fact he got off had little to do with race. It had do with his money buying the services of one of the most persuasive law teams in the country.
Race only became an issue because most blacks that get charged with murder are dirt poor and rely on a court appointed attorney that knows shit about defending an alledged murderer. However, OJ was a black man with much money.
I think the case is more proof of an unjust justice system. However, the ripples from the case did reveal a slice of the racial divide in America.

Originally posted by menewa
The fact he got off had little to do with race. It had do with his money buying the services of one of the most persuasive law teams in the country.
Race only became an issue because most blacks that get charged with murder are dirt poor and rely on a court appointed attorney that knows shit about defending an alledged murderer. However, OJ was a black man with much money.
I think the case is more proof of an unjust justice system. However, the ripples from the case did reveal a slice of the racial divide in America.

Ya think? Considering cochran flat out told the jury to basically use this as an opportunity to right past wrongs, I have to agree.

Forum List

Back