The Official Zimmerman Trial Verdict Thread

What are your Initial Thoughts on the Guilt or Innocence of George Zimmerman?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's up a jury.

No. It's not. It is a matter of law. The judge will TELL the jury as much. The jury will NEVER ever be told that the injuries on Zimmerman needed to BE life threatening. Such an instruction would be erroneous, in fact.

What the defense has to do is demonstrate enough evidence to show the jury that a defendant reasonably felt that his life was in danger or that he was facing the risk of serious physical injury.

And..by the evidence..it seems that:

A. Zimmerman instigated the fight.
B. He was not in danger at any time. None of his injuries were life threatening. The fight itself was very short. And the police arrived 15 seconds after Martin was killed.

It does NOT "seem" that GZ instigated the fight. That is without ANY support in the evidence.

And it DOES seem that he WAS in danger MUCH of the time while he was getting pummeled.

What you are saying is that YOU choose not to see that.

Thank God YOU are not on the jury.

That's up a jury.

No. It's not. It is a matter of law. The judge will TELL the jury as much. The jury will NEVER ever be told that the injuries on Zimmerman needed to BE life threatening. Such an instruction would be erroneous, in fact.

What the defense has to do is demonstrate enough evidence to show the jury that a defendant reasonably felt that his life was in danger or that he was facing the risk of serious physical injury.

And..by the evidence..it seems that:

A. Zimmerman instigated the fight.
B. He was not in danger at any time. None of his injuries were life threatening. The fight itself was very short. And the police arrived 15 seconds after Martin was killed.

How exactly does evidence point to GZ instigating the fight?
And your second claim is just to stupid to respond to.

Bottom line - M2 is a trumped up charge brought about because of the success of incendiary tactics employed by a PR firm hired by Martin family attorneys Crump and Jackson at the family's behest and on their behalf. The Martins wanted GZ arrested. Nothing short of that would do.

And when the investigators did not agree, their attorneys hired others who knew how to whip up activists into frenzies. From coast-to-coast and directly to the White House, the erroneous message was spread that a poor defenseless hoodied black boy was racially-profiled and gunned down in cold blood.

That impression still lingers over this trial whether we like it or not.

Besides (N)Obama, the Judge is clearly in the tank for the prosecution. Not unusual, and has been discussed here yesterday, but many of her rulings have been unduly prejudicial to the defense, I feel.

Two off the top of my head...1) allowing in "profiling" and "wannabe cop" into openings, and 2) disallowing GZ's family to be present in court to support their son. The limited testimony they were on witness lists for did not warrant their ban. And the P never even called them. Again, been discussed, but still not a fair Judge-ment call.

how about “the dead man cannot stand Fact ”

vital testimony

Dead men don't wear plaid. :evil:

Assuming that GZ gets acquitted, will the dopey loudmouth in chief, Barack Obummer, invite GZ over for a beer in the Rose Garden?

Since the left didn't object to their surrogate media referring to him as a WHITE Hispanic--have you EVER seen that designation attached to somebody before now?--and he isn't gay or a liberal activist, it seems unlikely.

The overall impression, even by many anti-Zimmerman media outlets, is that the prosecution has failed miserably to prove elements of the M2 charge. Since their side has rested, and the motion for dismissal of the charge(s) was well-argued by M O'M, I am shocked at the total lack of consideration Judge Nelson paid to those arguments.

Usually motion to dismiss is a standard motion at the end of the P case and it is merely a formality done to preserve the defendant's rights in the event of an appeal. But in this case that motion deserved more thought and weight given the prosecution's failure to present evidence to support the M2
charge. Where is evidence or testimony to prove depravity or disregard for human life? Nothing shown to even remotely prove that. Could the speed in which the Judge ruled on this motion be a basis for appeal? Or no, because she had the arguments in writing for review prior to them being presented in court?

Last edited:
Race came into play the second Zimmerman started following Martin because he was black. Deny it all the hell you want, but the reason an innocent kid walking in HIS (Zimmermans) area was considered "suspect" was because he was black.

Zimmerman is the one who started the race thing.

If you are denying this fact, explain what Martin did wrong when he was walking home? Why was he a "suspect". That is what makes me say, fuck you Zimmerman.

Well, that and the fact that he did not just stay in his truck and let the real cops do their thing. You know, approach Martin for no reason and send him on his way without shooting him.

Per Florida stats and FBI stats:
So crime statistics in Florida that black males are 7 % of the population and commit burglary 9 times greater than whites is racist.
Nationally of the 770,000 violent interracial crimes committed every year involving blacks and whites blacks commit 85% of them and whites 15%.
Blacks commit violent crimes at a rate 40 times more against whites than whites against blacks.
Blacks males are 7% of the population yet commit crime 8 times the rate of whites.
Following someone that is black in your neighborhood is not a crime and is not racist.
Statistics are not racist.

You are very right. Profiling is not bad. But before you go after someone, you have to have a reason more than race, and I question GZ's suspicions. "He's up to something" doesn't define what made TM suspicious.

Was he looking in windows, was he using a flashlight looking in windows...just what was he doing that made him suspicious looking?

Per Wiki, Zimmerman said:
"This guy looks like he's up to no good, or he's on drugs or something. It's raining and he's just walking around, looking about" and "looking at all the houses".

This is in the context of a string of break-ins in his neighborhood. Zimmerman had reason to be on alert.

And as we know, though the judge didn't let it be entered into evidence, Martin did have drugs in his system, at a level which could have had an influence on his behavior according to the medical examiner. The judge's refusal to let the ME tell that is what could help Zimmerman win on appeal if he is not acquitted outright.

So it's your contention that Zimmerman's injuries, what you know up to this point, were life threatening, right?

Nope. As I have repeatedly tried to tell you (and others) the defense has exactly NO BURDEN WHATSOEVER to show that any injury was life threatening.

That is not a requirement of the justification defense. Never was and still isn't.

First off..yeah..he does have a burden to show why he thought it was reasonable to kill an unarmed human being not involved in criminal activity.

This is not self defense..per se..this is murder.

The defense HAD the burden of going forward. The STATE did that FOR the defendant.

The burden then goes right the fuck BACK to the State. And THEY are obliged by law to disprove the defense of justification once raised -- beyond a reasonable doubt.

And your spin is ridiculous in light of the evidence. The victim WAS engaged in criminal behavior (pummeling the defendant) at the time that GZ allegedly found it necessary to defend himself.

So crime statistics in Florida that black males are 7 % of the population and commit burglary 9 times greater than whites is racist.
Nationally of the 770,000 violent interracial crimes committed every year involving blacks and whites blacks commit 85% of them and whites 15%.
Blacks commit violent crimes at a rate 40 times more against whites than whites against blacks.
Blacks males are 7% of the population yet commit crime 8 times the rate of whites.
Following someone that is black in your neighborhood is not a crime and is not racist.

You are very right. Profiling is not bad. But before you go after someone, you have to have a reason more than race, and I question GZ's suspicions. "He's up to something" doesn't define what made TM suspicious.

Was he looking in windows, was he using a flashlight looking in windows...just what was he doing that made him suspicious looking?

"This guy looks like he's up to no good, or he's on drugs or something. It's raining and he's just walking around, looking about" and "looking at all the houses".

This is in the context of a string of break-ins in his neighborhood. Zimmerman had reason to be on alert.

And as we know, though the judge didn't let it be entered into evidence, Martin did have drugs in his system, at a level which could have had an influence on his behavior according to the medical examiner. The judge's refusal to let the ME tell that is what could help Zimmerman win on appeal if he is not acquitted outright.
I agree...and did you hear the judge deny the defense's requests to approach the bench?...multiple times? I seem to recall a commentator pointing that out.

Why should a judge EVER refuse to let counsel from either side from approaching the bench? Is there a knowledgeable trial lawyer in the USMB house?

Last edited:

under florida rules

the defense can not bring up those things about the victim

unless he/she knew the victim

they can however bring them up if a door to it was opened

JQPublic1 said:
Do you also know that things like hands are movable objects that can defy gravity? The fingers can also reach around behind objects like GZ's head to get a firmer grasp while the thumbs are placed somewhere near the face to facilitate a more secure "hold." Meanwhile, a struggle is ensuing which means GZ was probably turning his head from side to side to avoid blows from at least one of Martin's fists or open hands. You failed the physics test, sir!

Quantum Windbag said:
Is it normal, for you, to hold an object that you intend to hit against something in such a way that your hand is between the object and the impact area? If so, can I please watch the next time you pick up a hammer to pound a nail?

In a fit of desperation anything is possible but, as I said before, Blood from Zimmerman's wounds would likely have been spattered or smeared to the point of being in contact with Martin's hands had he grabbed Z's head and "repeatedly" pounded it into the ground as alleged! It's not rocket science but the physical probabilities seem to have flown over your head by a mile!

You DO have the right to shoot another person when that other person is beating you and pounding your head into the pavement if, under those circumstances, you reasonably feel that your life is in peril or your are facing the risk of serious physical injury because of the beat down.

It doesn't matter if the other guy is armed or not. Oh, and that kind of a beat down IS breaking the law.

Quite often, the one who resorts to self defense IS the only surviving witness.

The only problem with that..is that you have to establish that it was the type of beating that warranted the action.

You make thing a few boo boos are life threatening. I don't.

And given that it was Zimmerman that initiated the incident, I think that "self defense" here should require, at the very least, a reasonable fear that death was imminent.

GZ and his defense team DID establish that he got the kind of beating that warrants raising the claim of justification. NOW it is up to the STATE to DISPROVE it.

It is not the degree of injury suffered that justifies the action.

It is the kind of injury one reasonably feels, under the circumstances, that he is confronted with.

And no. I don't think a few boo boos are life threatening. But I DO think that if you have a guy on top of you pounding your noggin onto the pavement after you have had your nose broken by that guy, you MIGHT very well think that it is going to END badly for you. REAL badly. You might think you are about to have your skull busted or that you are about to die. (I also don't think a broken nose is anywhere near akin to a mere boo boo.)

YOU seem to think that such a thought process is unreasonable unless the injuries are already severe. I think you are simply and totally wrong on that point.

I agree with you that he may have felt threatened. But he started it. He caused it. If I am walking along at night, minding my own business, and some weirdo starts following me, and we run into each other and I ask "Why are you following me?" and he reaches for his gun so I punch him and knock him down and try to disable him from pulling that gun...I AM THE ONE DEFENDING MYSELF!!!!

Zimmerman started it, therefore he needs to be held accountable. He wasn't just innocently walking along and Martin attacked him. He was stalking Martin, for crying out loud.

Last edited:
No, it won't... I have come to expect the worst and most unjust of outcomes when it comes to justice for Black people in this country. I just hope the prosecutors reach down and dig into Zimmerman's mind. did he have his gun drawn as would be expected when chasing a dangerous suspect through darkened areas? Why hasn't that question been brought up?

:lmao:

yes, it will suck to be you.

In that case, if GZ is acquitted it will suck to be any unarmed person who ventures into the night. It won't suck to be me because I am armed!

BTW, you did not answer my question... Why would a coward like GZ chase a "dangerous suspect" without having his gun out and ready when and if he caught up to him? Ignoring that question won't make it go away!

he never described martin as "dangerous"

or dont you understand the difference between dangerous and auspicious/out of place?

Nor was GZ chasing anyone.... he clearly says he "lost him" in the 911 tape.

under florida rules

the defense can not bring up those things about the victim

unless he/she knew the victim

they can however bring them up if a door to it was opened

The prosecution's witness sure opened that door. But the judge slammed it shut.

Trayvon was provoked...that much is obvious. He saw a gun during the struggle and continued the pounding...if he were here to defend himself in court, GZ would be going away for awhile. In fact, he might still, even with the lousy job the prosecution is doing...thats the way I see it. But then again, I hold no bias, therefore I can think clearly.

Besides (N)Obama, the Judge is clearly in the tank for the prosecution. Not unusual, and has been discussed here yesterday, but many of her rulings have been unduly prejudicial to the defense, I feel.

Two off the top of my head...1) allowing in "profiling" and "wannabe cop" into openings, and 2) disallowing GZ's family to be present in court to support their son. The limited testimony they were on witness lists for did not warrant their ban. And the P never even called them. Again, been discussed, but still not a fair Judge-ment call.

how about “the dead man cannot stand Fact ”

vital testimony

Dead men don't wear plaid. :evil:

"We measah with the lance because dead man cannot stand"

Well thank God for expert testimony to tell us the things we didn't know.

The only problem with that..is that you have to establish that it was the type of beating that warranted the action.

And given that it was Zimmerman that initiated the incident, I think that "self defense" here should require, at the very least, a reasonable fear that death was imminent.

GZ and his defense team DID establish that he got the kind of beating that warrants raising the claim of justification. NOW it is up to the STATE to DISPROVE it.

It is the kind of injury one reasonably feels, under the circumstances, that he is confronted with.

And no. I don't think a few boo boos are life threatening. But I DO think that if you have a guy on top of you pounding your noggin onto the pavement after you have had your nose broken by that guy, you MIGHT very well think that it is going to END badly for you. REAL badly. You might think you are about to have your skull busted or that you are about to die. (I also don't think a broken nose is anywhere near akin to a mere boo boo.)

YOU seem to think that such a thought process is unreasonable unless the injuries are already severe. I think you are simply and totally wrong on that point.

I agree with you that he may have felt threatened. But he started it. He caused it. If I am walking along at night, minding my own business, and some weirdo starts following me, and we run into each other and I ask "Why are you following me?" and he reaches for his gun so I punch him and knock him down and try to disable him from pulling that gun...I AM THE ONE DEFENDING MYSELF!!!!

Zimmerman started it, therefore he needs to be held accountable. He wasn't just innocently walking along and Martin attacked him. He was stalking Martin, for crying out loud.

No. He didn't "start" or "cause" anything. He saw someone whom he found to be suspicious and as he was entirely permitted to do, he followed the young man.

That is not "starting" anything.

it was INDEED a matter of innocently being there. For GZ.

And no. Following is NOT stalking. That's just more baseless spin by those who seek to "get" GZ. What all of you leave out of your analyses is the fact that you have YET to show that GZ actually DID anything wrong.

can you prove that GZ "started it"?

no, you cant. It is you opinion that GZ stated it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back