The Olympics and the Uyghurs: Who sacrificed the most?

These heartfelt stories about athletes eating cold biscuits, stuck in their tiny little room, complaining about their dire situation, sent off to isolation for days, being tested multiple times at night and crying about it is a real laugher!

Nobody. That is my point. The athletes have the same choice in when, where, or if they compete.

Nice try on that, though.

And you have some choice on buying tech, but somehow it is different when you do it. Why is that?
Yeah, whereas the athletes have a choice. How many times must I say this?

As do you....but you are righteous and they are not.

This from the guy that discarded his morals just so he could log onto the internet and tell everyone how immoral they are!

Cute. Coming from the guy who is lives in complete ignorance of the circumstances surrounding these games in particular. The moral and ethical implications in particular.

Don't you dare lecture me.

Yeah, they are not doing well at all. I have been doing my part though. I am watching the Luge right now.

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact most Americans do not really relate well with the winter sports they have shown so far. Most people will not watch cross country skiing or the Biathlon

Well, the ratings are a tad better than last year. I haven't watched them in a long time though. Mainly for the reasons you stated.

Cute. Coming from the guy who is lives in complete ignorance of the circumstances surrounding these games in particular. The moral and ethical implications in particular.

Don't you dare lecture me.

I will lecture you any time I choose. You freely choose to buy tech from China and your are blameless, they choose to compete in the only place the Olympics are being held and they are of the devil themselves.

You are a joke.

These heartfelt stories about athletes eating cold biscuits, stuck in their tiny little room, complaining about their dire situation, sent off to isolation for days, being tested multiple times at night and crying about it is a real laugher!

Those get old in about 5 min. I just tune those parts out. One of the benefits of watching it on my laptop built in China! :laughing0301: :laughing0301: :laughing0301: :laughing0301:

And you have some choice on buying tech, but somehow it is different when you do it. Why is that?

Mincing words. How tiresome. Our American athletes have complete autonomy over themselves, when to compete, where to compete, or if they compete.

The difference for me is that if I boycotted anything not made here in the US, I would live largely in a non-air-conditioned home in destitution.

Whereas the athletes can boycott China's games, compete in trials and domestic competitions here and abroad for the next four years, and then compete in another country that doesn't participate in such blatant human rights abuses. Their lives would go largely unaffected.

Mincing words. How tiresome. Our American athletes have complete autonomy over themselves, when to compete, where to compete, or if they compete.

And you have complete autonomy over yourself and what you choose to buy.

The difference for me is that if I boycotted anything not made here in the US, I would live largely in a non-air-conditioned home in destitution.

So, your comfort is more important than your moral stance.

Thanks for admitting that

I will lecture you any time I choose. You freely choose to buy tech from China and your are blameless, they choose to compete in the only place the Olympics are being held and they are of the devil themselves.

No, you will not.

Okay, so this Samsung monitor I have is put together by a Japanese corporation, but I guarantee you some of the parts are Chinese in origin, so is it Japanese or Chinese?

My phone is the same way.

The parts in my custom-built PC, the motherboard, the graphics card, the sound card, the hard drives, the peripherals, all had parts sourced from somewhere in the world by one company or another. Do I give credit to the country where the manufacturer is located or do I give credit to the country where the materials for the parts they assemble is sourced?

In hindsight, not a fair question, but an attempt to trap me in hypocrisy I clearly don't possess.

So, your comfort is more important than your moral stance.

Thanks for admitting that

Actually, my 'comfort' is dictated by my financial situation, you childish brat.

Some months I go without essential comfort just to save some cash for the next month. My decisions are purely economic in nature. If that dictates I buy something Chinese, so be it. I will not buy the more expensive alternative.

Tell me, do the athlete's endorsement deals go away if they choose not to compete in one Olympics or the other? No? What about the other athletes who don't derive their sole income from athletic competition?

Your argument is flawed.

Actually, my 'comfort' is dictated by my financial situation, you childish brat.

And some months I go without essential comfort just to save some cash for the next month.

Maybe you should do something to improve your financial situation.

Tell me, do the athletes endorsement deals go away if they choose not to compete in one Olympics or the other? No? What about the other athletes who don't derive their sole income from athletic competition?

99% of the athletes do not have any endorsement deals, and get their income not from their sport. They are there for the love of their sport and because the Olympics are the Mt Everest of sporting events. Having been a competitive athlete I understand just a small bit what they have gone through to get to this point. All they want to do is have a chance to compete.

Maybe you should do something to improve your financial situation.

Maybe you should butt out of my financial decisions.

99% of the athletes do not have any endorsement deals, and get their income not from their sport.

So like I asked, does their participation or lack thereof impact that income? Not likely.

They are there for the love of their sport and because the Olympics are the Mt Everest of sporting events.
If I climbed to the top of Mt. Everest at the expense of the Sherpa who guided me there, what does that do to my accomplishment? The Sherpa is dead, I am not. But at least I accomplished my dream for the love of hiking!

Gimme a break.

So like I asked, does their participation or lack thereof impact that income? Not likely.

For 99% of them no it does not, they are not there for that.

If I climbed to the top of Mt. Everest at the expense of the Sherpa who guided me there, what does that do to my accomplishment? The Sherpa is dead, I am not. But at least I accomplished my dream for the love of hiking!

Gimme a break.

If you were not responding to me on tech made in China this whole thing might not make you look so hypocritical

So they have a choice? I thought as much. Weren't you contending they didn't?

Yes, I am contending if they wish to compete in the Olympics they do not have a choice on where those are being held.

No different than you wishing to log onto political forums thus you give your money to China so you can do that.

You are the very thing you rail against.

If you were not responding to me on tech made in China this whole thing might not make you look so hypocritical

Actually, I don't have a choice where my tech is made.

Once again, the athletes have a choice on whether to compete within the borders of a genocidal regime or not.

Yes, I am contending if they wish to compete in the Olympics they do not have a choice on where those are being held.

Surprise! That's true.

But the athletes can dictate whether they choose to compete in those Olympics or not. That's the difference.

The technology I buy has parts which are made all over the world, so the final product does not belong to one country or another.

No different than you wishing to log onto political forums thus you give your money to China so you can do that.

Technically, my money goes to South Korea, ergo Samsung. China is being used for the sake of this pointless argument.

You are the very thing you rail against.

No, actually I am not, as I just demonstrated, you wilfully blind creature.

Forum List

Back