🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

The Pope: mothers can breastfeed at the Sisteen Chapel

Statistikhengst

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2013
deep within the statistical brain!!
If he keeps this up, Conservative Catholics are going to experience heart-attacks, I think!

Breastfeed babies if you want pope tells mothers in Sistine Chapel - Yahoo News

Pope Francis baptized 32 babies in the Sistine Chapel on Sunday and told their mothers, including one who was married in a civil service rather than in church, to have no qualms about breast-feeding them there.

Unlike his predecessors, who usually delivered long and theology-laden homilies at the yearly baptism event, the pope offered a brief, improvised homily of some 300 words centered on the children.

"Today the choir will sing but the most beautiful choir of all is the choir of the infants who will make a noise. Some will cry because they are not comfortable or because they are hungry," he said in a familiar, relaxed tone to the parents...

..."If they are hungry, mothers, feed them, without thinking twice. Because they are the most important people here," he said, speaking in the same room where he was elected on March 13 as the first non-European pope in 1,300 years.

Francis said in an interview last month that mothers should not feel uncomfortable breastfeeding during his ceremonies.

In another apparent first in the Vatican, the parents of one of the babies, 7-month-old Giulia Scardia, at the ceremony were not married in church but only at a civil service in a town hall - meaning their marriage is technically not recognized by the Catholic Church.

But the pope has said several times since his election that the Church must not make children of couples in irregular situations feel like second-class faithful, and he agreed to baptize Giulia Scardia into the faith.

Cool guy.

:thup:

If he keeps this up, Conservative Catholics are going to experience heart-attacks, I think!

Pope Francis baptized 32 babies in the Sistine Chapel on Sunday and told their mothers, including one who was married in a civil service rather than in church, to have no qualms about breast-feeding them there.

Unlike his predecessors, who usually delivered long and theology-laden homilies at the yearly baptism event, the pope offered a brief, improvised homily of some 300 words centered on the children.

"Today the choir will sing but the most beautiful choir of all is the choir of the infants who will make a noise. Some will cry because they are not comfortable or because they are hungry," he said in a familiar, relaxed tone to the parents...

..."If they are hungry, mothers, feed them, without thinking twice. Because they are the most important people here," he said, speaking in the same room where he was elected on March 13 as the first non-European pope in 1,300 years.

Francis said in an interview last month that mothers should not feel uncomfortable breastfeeding during his ceremonies.

In another apparent first in the Vatican, the parents of one of the babies, 7-month-old Giulia Scardia, at the ceremony were not married in church but only at a civil service in a town hall - meaning their marriage is technically not recognized by the Catholic Church.

But the pope has said several times since his election that the Church must not make children of couples in irregular situations feel like second-class faithful, and he agreed to baptize Giulia Scardia into the faith.

Cool guy.

Doesn't surprise me at all. When my daughters were babies, there was never an issue of discreetly breastfeeding them in a Catholic church. Needless to say, tried to arrange things so a feeding was not necessary in public, and was very discreet when it was.

• Banned
51965.jpg

Beautiful avi, Meriweather !

Cool guy.

Doesn't surprise me at all. When my daughters were babies, there was never an issue of discreetly breastfeeding them in a Catholic church. Needless to say, tried to arrange things so a feeding was not necessary in public, and was very discreet when it was.
That's all fine and dandy but using formula or bottle feeding breast milk can actually decrease milk supply. The stimulation from the baby's suckling helps with milk supply. If others don't like what they see, they can look away. I personally am not shy about breastfeeding in public, with or without a cover. Covering the baby's head blocks the baby from looking at you and can cause the baby to get too hot.

51965.jpg

Beautiful avi, Meriweather !

Thank you. There are a couple of owls who have taken up residence in the belfry of the Catholic church I most often attend. Sometimes I put on the telephoto lens and try to capture one or both owls despite height and darkness of the belfry.

Christmas morning my daughter and I looked to see if the owls were up there. They weren't, and she commented, "So when we were singing Noel a few minutes ago, there really was No Owl."

Strange of the Pope to talk about breasfeeding.

Oh well! :dunno:

That's all fine and dandy but using formula or bottle feeding breast milk can actually decrease milk supply. The stimulation from the baby's suckling helps with milk supply. If others don't like what they see, they can look away. I personally am not shy about breastfeeding in public, with or without a cover. Covering the baby's head blocks the baby from looking at you and can cause the baby to get too hot.

Never used bottle or formula, and creative covering resolved the other issue. I had a friend who was rather an exhibitionist when it came to breastfeeding, frankly confessed she enjoyed some people's embarrassment or horror. As far as I was concerned, I had the comfort of three to see to: The baby's, my own, and the people around me. Turns out I could do all three at once, which impressed people who knew I had problems walking and chewing gum at the same time. :wink:

But the point is, while the Catholic churches I have attended throughout my life are not the Sistine Chapel, I can't remember anyone ever discouraging mothers nursing their babies in church. I suppose this acceptance might vary depending on location, but my experience does cover churches in five states.

Never used bottle or formula, and creative covering resolved the other issue. I had a friend who was rather an exhibitionist when it came to breastfeeding, frankly confessed she enjoyed some people's embarrassment or horror. As far as I was concerned, I had the comfort of three to see to: The baby's, my own, and the people around me. Turns out I could do all three at once, which impressed people who knew I had problems walking and chewing gum at the same time. :wink:

But the point is, while the Catholic churches I have attended throughout my life are not the Sistine Chapel, I can't remember anyone ever discouraging mothers nursing their babies in church. I suppose this acceptance might vary depending on location, but my experience does cover churches in five states.
I'm not religious, so I've never nursed in a church. I am indifferent to how people feel when it comes to providing my baby with the best. I haven't nursed in public just to spite people. I did it because its natural. If people don't see it, then it will always be stigmatized. Society has to eventually come to terms with the fact that women will breastfeed and babies get hungry. Resorting to formula for any purpose dramatically increases health risks to the child, both long term and short term. That's a scientifically proven fact. Formula gets recalled all the time for safety and quality concerns (i.e. too many beetle parts). You can't recall a breast.

I personally see no problem with a woman breastfeeding in public, either covered or exposed.

Why? Simple.............I don't hate children and wish to see ALL kids grow up happy and healthy.

One of the main reasons I'm so strong about breastfeeding is that it is the BEST way for a mother to pass on antibodies (which fight sickness) to the child.

And yes. I was breastfed as a baby.

The Pope is normalizing what is normal for Catholics. Shame has always been a powerful weapon in Catholicism.

The Pope is normalizing what is normal for Catholics. Shame has always been a powerful weapon in Catholicism.

Shame has? For example?
"Original sin" and term "living in sin" are a couple of examples that come to mind. I am sure I can think of a few more if I want to. I do not have a problem with it but I see it for what it is: Control

Cool guy.

There's not enough space!

SistineChapel_Gallery_002_copy.jpg

Shame has? For example?
"Original sin" and term "living in sin" are a couple of examples that come to mind. I am sure I can think of a few more if I want to. I do not have a problem with it but I see it for what it is: Control
It's a favorite of the Catholic Church especially. Most religions use it, too.

Forum List

Back