The Pope: mothers can breastfeed at the Sisteen Chapel

The Pope is normalizing what is normal for Catholics. Shame has always been a powerful weapon in Catholicism.

Shame has? For example?
"Original sin" and term "living in sin" are a couple of examples that come to mind. I am sure I can think of a few more if I want to. I do not have a problem with it but I see it for what it is: Control
It's a favorite of the Catholic Church especially. Most religions use it, too.
I agree and I really do not have a problem with it. I get more good than bad from religion and nothing is perfect.

"Original sin" and term "living in sin" are a couple of examples that come to mind. I am sure I can think of a few more if I want to. I do not have a problem with it but I see it for what it is: Control

Original Sin simply designates the fallen condition of man--i.e., we tend to do what is easiest, not what is best. There is no shame in that, it is simply a heads up.

I lived in sin. It was one of the more stressful times of my life because I didn't know if I had a commitment, or did not have one. If I became pregnant would I be capable of raising a child on my own, or have the courage to put it up for adoption. Do you really think God wanted me to have these worries, or do you think a better plan may have been for me to wait for the commitment and the knowledge if a pregnancy occurred the child would be born into a stable home?

During this time, it was help and encouragement I received--not shame--a further understanding it is the blessings, not worries, of life God wants us to have.

The Pope is normalizing what is normal for Catholics. Shame has always been a powerful weapon in Catholicism.

Not just in Catholicism. Plenty of shame tactics to be found in Judaism:

"What, you don't like my brisket? WHAT?!?!?!?!?"

Original Sin simply designates the fallen condition of man--i.e., we tend to do what is easiest, not what is best. There is no shame in that, it is simply a heads up.

I lived in sin. It was one of the more stressful times of my life because I didn't know if I had a commitment, or did not have one. If I became pregnant would I be capable of raising a child on my own, or have the courage to put it up for adoption. Do you really think God wanted me to have these worries, or do you think a better plan may have been for me to wait for the commitment and the knowledge if a pregnancy occurred the child would be born into a stable home?

During this time, it was help and encouragement I received--not shame--a further understanding it is the blessings, not worries, of life God wants us to have.
Heads up? We are born with a stain, defective, impure and we can only hope for salvation.

The fact that the Pope spoke of his approval of breast feeding is proof enough that the element of shame is always at work.

Heads up? We are born with a stain, defective, impure and we can only hope for salvation.

The fact that the Pope spoke of his approval of breast feeding is proof enough that the element of shame is always at work.

It is also proof that many know (and teach) what is shame and what is not shame. There is no shame in breastfeeding. There should be shame if we do not help feed the hungry, shelter the homeless, clothe the naked, etc.

It is also proof that many know (and teach) what is shame and what is not shame. There is no shame in breastfeeding. There should be shame if we do not help feed the hungry, shelter the homeless, clothe the naked, etc.
I agree with you.

Forum List

Back