The reality of renewable energy

I've been saying for 10 years the climate crusaders need a Plan B. They scoff at it....but 10 years have passed and they still haven't accomplished dick with the same old tired narrative.

The "science" has not transcended anywhere past its own field and some community message boards.
Energy policy makers still not giving a crap. :eusa_dance:
And what the green energy people won't tell you is that there has been no decrease in the use of fossil fuel generated power despite their claims
I don't believe that is correct. What data are you basing that upon?
Watch the documentary

but here

I live in Texas. 20% of our electric power comes from renewables.

I live in Oregon ... 100% of the electric power up North comes from renewables ... if fact, it is illegal to burn coal to produce electricity within the State ... Governor Kate Brown shut down every last coal-fired power plant in the entire state ... woot ... where I live it's only 80% renewables ... the rest is from natural gas ...

ETA: I don't agree with the assumption we're experiencing a mass extinction event ... yes, we're losing individual species, but these niches are quickly re-filled ... for example: we've eliminated the wolf from The West, only to see coyote populations explode and cause the same (if not more) damage to livestock operations ... during the Permian Event, over 70% of all organisms died off, leaving nothing to replace them ... big difference there ...

Pound for pound, mankind and his domesticates comprise 90% of all mammals in the world ... although that number is dwarfed by the tonnage of ants ... mammals are a small part of the ecosystem ... our effects on the microbial world are trivial ...
How much power does Oregon buy from out of state ?

And there is no way the entire state is powered by 100% renewable electricity.

I've been saying for 10 years the climate crusaders need a Plan B. They scoff at it....but 10 years have passed and they still haven't accomplished dick with the same old tired narrative.

The "science" has not transcended anywhere past its own field and some community message boards.
And what the green energy people won't tell you is that there has been no decrease in the use of fossil fuel generated power despite their claims
Watch the documentary

but here

I live in Oregon ... 100% of the electric power up North comes from renewables ... if fact, it is illegal to burn coal to produce electricity within the State ... Governor Kate Brown shut down every last coal-fired power plant in the entire state ... woot ... where I live it's only 80% renewables ... the rest is from natural gas ...

ETA: I don't agree with the assumption we're experiencing a mass extinction event ... yes, we're losing individual species, but these niches are quickly re-filled ... for example: we've eliminated the wolf from The West, only to see coyote populations explode and cause the same (if not more) damage to livestock operations ... during the Permian Event, over 70% of all organisms died off, leaving nothing to replace them ... big difference there ...

Pound for pound, mankind and his domesticates comprise 90% of all mammals in the world ... although that number is dwarfed by the tonnage of ants ... mammals are a small part of the ecosystem ... our effects on the microbial world are trivial ...

Bonneville Power Administration ... buck-o ... read them and weep ... we export energy to California by the cubic furlong ...

Watch the documentary

but here

Bonneville Power Administration ... buck-o ... read them and weep ... we export energy to California by the cubic furlong ...

Impossible.

What you're saying is in Ore gen that doesn't even have 200 sunny days a year gets 100% of its power from wind and solar

You're telling me that at night 100% of all power in Oregon is wind generated?

You're full of it.

Watch the documentary

but here

Impossible.

What you're saying is in Ore gen that doesn't even have 200 sunny days a year gets 100% of its power from wind and solar

You're full of it.
Wind and solar are not the only renewables. There's hydro too. And his comment was northern Oregon was 100% renewables and where he lives is 80% renewables with the remaining coming from natural gas fired power plants.

Nonetheless, under the agreed plan, renewable infrastructure investment, particularly in energy transmission and grid systems, will receive a US$73 billion boost, which paves the way for greater renewable energy capacity moving forward.

The plan will upgrade US “power infrastructure, including by building thousands of miles of new, resilient transmission lines to facilitate the expansion of renewable energy, including through a new Grid Authority,” said a White House statement.

In total, it calls for US$973 billion in spending over the next five years, with US$1.2 trillion proposed over the next eight, factoring in the federal government’s current baseline.

The infrastructure plan agreed yesterday “is the single largest investment in clean energy transmission in American history”, added the White House statement.

The framework will be financed through a combination of taxes, corporate user fees and “the macroeconomic impact of infrastructure investment”.

You didn't watch the documentary did you?

The entire clean energy movement is a farce.

Solar panels are produced by burning coal and degenerate over time
Windmills are a carbon nightmare and don't even last 20 years
Biomass is nothing but wood and now forests are being clear cut to feed furnaces
Large solar farms are destroying desert ecosystems and are nothing but fossil fuel plants at their heart.

In fact even though we have been told that so called renewable power has been installed we have not seen a reduction in fossil fuel based power generation but quite the opposite.

The entire argument that we can simply replace all fossil fuel generated power with "green" "clean" and "renewable " power and see no change in our way of life is a lie.
It is exactly the "way of life" that must change if the worst is to be avoided. Change, however, does not necessarily mean for the worse. We can go forward in another way. As long as extremists insist on two-ton, 300 hp monsters to transport one or two people, the rest of us are "luvved".

Nonetheless, under the agreed plan, renewable infrastructure investment, particularly in energy transmission and grid systems, will receive a US$73 billion boost, which paves the way for greater renewable energy capacity moving forward.

The plan will upgrade US “power infrastructure, including by building thousands of miles of new, resilient transmission lines to facilitate the expansion of renewable energy, including through a new Grid Authority,” said a White House statement.

In total, it calls for US$973 billion in spending over the next five years, with US$1.2 trillion proposed over the next eight, factoring in the federal government’s current baseline.

The infrastructure plan agreed yesterday “is the single largest investment in clean energy transmission in American history”, added the White House statement.

The framework will be financed through a combination of taxes, corporate user fees and “the macroeconomic impact of infrastructure investment”.

Biomass is nothing but wood and now forests are being clear cut to feed furnaces
Large solar farms are destroying desert ecosystems and are nothing but fossil fuel plants at their heart.

In fact even though we have been told that so called renewable power has been installed we have not seen a reduction in fossil fuel based power generation but quite the opposite.

The entire argument that we can simply replace all fossil fuel generated power with "green" "clean" and "renewable " power and see no change in our way of life is a lie.
It is exactly the "way of life" that must change if the worst is to be avoided. Change, however, does not necessarily mean for the worse. We can go forward in another way. As long as extremists insist on two-ton, 300 hp monsters to transport one or two people, the rest of us are "luvved".
What is the worst that must be avoided?

Watch the documentary

but here

Impossible.

You're full of it.

Impossible.
What you're saying is in Ore gen that doesn't even have 200 sunny days a year gets 100% of its power from wind and sola
You're full of it.

Truly narrow-minded ...

Watch the documentary

but here

Impossible.

You're full of it.
Wind and solar are not the only renewables. There's hydro too. And his comment was northern Oregon was 100% renewables and where he lives is 80% renewables with the remaining coming from natural gas fired power plants.
Hydro is a fixed percentage we aren't building anymore dams for hydro power.

As our energy demands keep rising hydro will occupy a smaller and smaller percentage because it is simply too expensive to increase it.

Watch the documentary

but here

Impossible.

You're full of it.

Impossible.
What you're saying is in Ore gen that doesn't even have 200 sunny days a year gets 100% of its power from wind and sola
You're full of it.

Truly narrow-minded ...
You don't have enough windmills in the state to provide even 50% of your power needs

That's not narrow minded that's a hard fact.

You are delusional.

Watch the documentary

but here

Impossible.

You're full of it.

As our energy demands keep rising hydro will occupy a smaller and smaller percentage because it is simply too expensive to increase it.
A quick internet search shows that in 2018 Oregon had a fairly significant amount of surplus electricity from hydro-electric. Such that they were exporting 37% of what they generated.
  • Total Generation (2018): 35,442,773 MWh
  • Total Consumption (2018): 22,125,769 MWh
  • Total Exports (2018): 13,317,004 MWh
How many years do you think it will take before that surplus is gone?

Well, there is one power source that releases very little carbon at all and can produce power efficiently, quietly, and more cleanly than just about any other. But that's been so demonized for so long they're scared to use it.

Watch the documentary

but here

Impossible.

You're full of it.

A quick internet search shows that in 2018 Oregon had a fairly significant amount of surplus electricity from hydro-electric. Such that they were exporting 37% of what they generated.

Not as many as you think

Watch the documentary

but here

Impossible.

You're full of it.

You misunderstand him since he is talking about HYDRO power generation which is classified as a renewable, wind and power is a small part of the renewable package for Washington and Oregon.

Well, there is one power source that releases very little carbon at all and can produce power efficiently, quietly, and more cleanly than just about any other. But that's been so demonized for so long they're scared to use it.
I am a big proponent of LFTR reactors.

We already have enough nuclear waste in storage to power this country and ramp up production to meet higher demands for at least a century

Watch the documentary

but here

Impossible.

You're full of it.

You misunderstand him since he is talking about HYDRO power generation which is classified as a renewable, wind and power is a small part of the renewable package for Washington and Oregon.
OK I'll give you that one but Hydro is not going to be a significant provider of electricity in the future. We are not building dams because they are just too expensive and are really really bad for the environment

I am a big proponent of LFTR reactors.

We already have enough nuclear waste in storage to power this country and ramp up production to meet higher demands for at least a century
That is true. Modern reactor designs are meltdown proof and small reactors can be put just about anywhere.

Watch the documentary

but here

Impossible.

You're full of it.

Not as many as you think
The question was what do you think.

I'm thinking 37 years. Does that sound about right to you?

Watch the documentary

but here

Impossible.

You're full of it.

Impossible.
You're full of it.

Truly narrow-minded ...
You don't have enough windmills in the state to provide even 50% of your power needs

You are delusional.

You are delusional.

My, my ... you are uninformed ... this thread is about renewables ... and that includes hydro ...
We can add turbines to existing dams ... repair dams scheduled for demolition ... and supplement with wind/solar ... conserve ...

Also ... Oregon has some draconian land use laws ... housing is in chronic short supply ... "help wanted" signs in every storefront ... we should be able to stick to renewables for the long term ... it was the wind surfers who discovered the Columbia Gorge's near constant wind field ... and this includes a couple major electric trunk lines running down to SoCal ...

We'll have to check with S'Tommy about the "proof of concept" solar farm out his way ... my understanding is it was a complete success and we're going to scale on this side of the Oregon/Washington state line ... again, right along BPA's trunk lines running down to SoCal ...

Hey ... I understand renewables make no sense where you live ... I get that ... but it's narrow minded to think that's true every place in the world ... it's not ... California is the 8th largest economy, and wholly dependent on BPA juice flowing down the Intermountain desert ... where it's always sunny ... and hot ... it makes economic sense to install solar farms along all 2,000 miles (or so) of those transmission lines ...

Climate change is a hoax ... running out of fossil fuels is not ... the Oil Economy has to change, and we're already twenty years behind on our nuclear power program ...

it makes economic sense to install solar farms along all 2,000 miles (or so) of those transmission lines .
Please don't get me started on the shortsightedness of widespread use of solar panels in the middle of an ice age. Please, please, please, please.

Forum List

Back