The RED FLAGS are waving inches from our faces. How many even notice them?

Our economic engine relys on China far too much. From production to resources to our stock market and even mass transportation. And our ENTIRE government doesn't really seem to care.
This virus, that some argue is insignificant while others claim is the final days, is wrecking havoc on too many industries.
One could argue that this virus is an intentional incident based on the facts around its origin. Not to mention if anyone was paying attention they would notice an alarming pattern of viruses originating in China.
So how long are we going to allow our entire lives to hang on Chinas ability to sell us what we already know how to make/supply for ourselves? Why is it "okay" for an American company to make the majority of it's products for the American people in China just so they can maximize their profit margin? Is our national security worth the sacrifice so board executives can play McScrooge in a pile of money?
Think about it. Look at the chaos this seemingly minor virus is causing. Now imagine that on a "serious" scale. All that risk so some board members and the Chinese government can get rich...

Now I know some of you will try to spin this as me hating the rich (which is laughable) or maybe you'll single in on me minimizing the impact of the virus. Either way that is not the point of this thread. This thread is about American prosperity & security vs our Chinese overlords.

Personally I think it's past time for Congress to act so we can regain control of our own future. I don't pretend to know the solution as that's what we elect our leaders to solve. Having said that I will toss out an idea.
I believe that congress should enact a law that says something to the effect of the following....

No American based company should be allowed to import goods manufactured by them in another country that exceed the exact same amount of goods they produce HERE. Any imports exceeding that amount should be taxed at such a rate as the make the viability of such actions unfeasible.

In other words if you make 10 widgets here and import 11 from China, the 11th widget will be taxed out of feasibility.

I support my country first and foremost. Political ideology should take a back seat when it comes to our national security.

"I support my country first and foremost. Political ideology should take a back seat when it comes to our national security."

mike pence

"I am a christian first! a conservative second and a republican third!....."

do you see loyalty to country on that list?

cus I sure don't

Last edited:
To make our own industries competitive we would need to lower our salaries to match theirs...are you up for a pay cut?

Not at all. I also don't buy it because labor is such a small part of the manufacturing equation today. Most manufacturing is automated, and process improvement has eliminated more jobs than offshoring did.

I would be all for cutting bloated CEO Pay, though. Let's start there.

Hey, if we replaced China with Central and South America as our primary trading partner, we'd not only not have to worry about this shit, we'd have FAR more control, and we'd stop feeding & financing one of our primary adversaries.

Again, Stormy, no one thinks that's a good idea.

What we need to do is make our own industries competitive through investment in infrastructure and education. Not just find a new bunch of brown people for the One Percent to exploit.

Our educational system is broken I agree we need to eliminate the Department of Indoctrination

To make our own industries competitive we would need to lower our salaries to match theirs...are you up for a pay cut?

Not at all. I also don't buy it because labor is such a small part of the manufacturing equation today. Most manufacturing is automated, and process improvement has eliminated more jobs than offshoring did.

I would be all for cutting bloated CEO Pay, though. Let's start there.

You are correct, automation and process improvement has eliminated far more jobs than offshoring did, and yet we still cannot compete price wise...

How do you plan to force CEO pay cuts?

Hey, if we replaced China with Central and South America as our primary trading partner, we'd not only not have to worry about this shit, we'd have FAR more control, and we'd stop feeding & financing one of our primary adversaries.

What we need to do is make our own industries competitive through investment in infrastructure and education. Not just find a new bunch of brown people for the One Percent to exploit.

Our educational system is broken I agree we need to eliminate the Department of Indoctrination

The Dept of Ed needs to go, that is for sure.

Schools need to quit being rated based upon the number of kids that go to a 4 year college.

We need to bring back all the "shop" classes of old...metal, wood, automotive and more.

Our high schools need to partner with trade schools and community colleges to teach skills that are in need.

A few schools are starting to do these things, my bosses son goes to high school for 1/3 of the day and spends the rest of the day at a local trade school earning credits for graduation while leaning a skill. This needs to be more widespread.

Schools need to quit being rated based upon the number of kids that go to a 4 year college.

We need to bring back all the "shop" classes of old...metal, wood, automotive and more.

Our high schools need to partner with trade schools and community colleges to teach skills that are in need.

A few schools are starting to do these things, my bosses son goes to high school for 1/3 of the day and spends the rest of the day at a local trade school earning credits for graduation while leaning a skill. This needs to be more widespread.

^ this

Our economic engine relys on China far too much. From production to resources to our stock market and even mass transportation. And our ENTIRE government doesn't really seem to care.
This virus, that some argue is insignificant while others claim is the final days, is wrecking havoc on too many industries.
One could argue that this virus is an intentional incident based on the facts around its origin. Not to mention if anyone was paying attention they would notice an alarming pattern of viruses originating in China.
So how long are we going to allow our entire lives to hang on Chinas ability to sell us what we already know how to make/supply for ourselves? Why is it "okay" for an American company to make the majority of it's products for the American people in China just so they can maximize their profit margin? Is our national security worth the sacrifice so board executives can play McScrooge in a pile of money?
Think about it. Look at the chaos this seemingly minor virus is causing. Now imagine that on a "serious" scale. All that risk so some board members and the Chinese government can get rich...

Now I know some of you will try to spin this as me hating the rich (which is laughable) or maybe you'll single in on me minimizing the impact of the virus. Either way that is not the point of this thread. This thread is about American prosperity & security vs our Chinese overlords.

Personally I think it's past time for Congress to act so we can regain control of our own future. I don't pretend to know the solution as that's what we elect our leaders to solve. Having said that I will toss out an idea.
I believe that congress should enact a law that says something to the effect of the following....

No American based company should be allowed to import goods manufactured by them in another country that exceed the exact same amount of goods they produce HERE. Any imports exceeding that amount should be taxed at such a rate as the make the viability of such actions unfeasible.

In other words if you make 10 widgets here and import 11 from China, the 11th widget will be taxed out of feasibility.

I support my country first and foremost. Political ideology should take a back seat when it comes to our national security.

"I support my country first and foremost. Political ideology should take a back seat when it comes to our national security."

mike pence

"I am a christian first! a conservative second and a republican third!....."

do you loyalty to country on that list?

cus I sure don't

loyalty to this country means you support individual freedom of choice not collective compliance,,,

^ this

My son mentioned to someone in his school that he was thinking about a community college and they said "isn't that for kids that didn't graduate high school?"

This is what they have been taught

You're rare then.

Americans consume more than they earn. And by "Americans," I mean American people, American companies, American organizations and American governments. American households are net savers, but American governments and American companies are not. You add all those up and Americans consume more than they save.

American households are net savers,

I do not think this is accurate.
yes. most nets are discarded immediately after use. only fishermen are net savers.

I don't know how a reasonable person can look at our overall educational system and be satisfied with the status quo.

It's also difficult to believe that the Department of Education's priority really is what's best for the students.

This needs a complete overhaul before it's too late.

I simply avoid the China label whenever possible. Not an easy task.
China makes inferior products, especially auto parts. Pure garbage.

Saying no to China starts with Americans themselves.

China can deliver as good a quality as their customer demands

You are correct, automation and process improvement has eliminated far more jobs than offshoring did, and yet we still cannot compete price wise...

Confiscatory tax rates. IRS Audits of companies that abuse the system.

Problem solved.

This isn't complicated. Back in the 1950's, CEO's didn't live in huge mansions and shit.

Confiscatory tax rates. IRS Audits of companies that abuse the system.

Problem solved.

This isn't complicated. Back in the 1950's, CEO's didn't live in huge mansions and shit.

You seem to be missing the point that it would be against the Constitution to put an earnings cap on a private entity or individual

If you passed a law which tried to balance imports with exports
That wasn't really what I was suggesting. Maybe I just wasn't articulate enough.
My overall point is that we need to curtail the desire of American companies to use chinese labor for production. We need to produce goods here. Not limiting exports to imports. Limiting imports of AMERICAN products if they can be made here.
So....force companies to use American workers? Isn't that the antithesis of a capitalistic free market?

Some products China makes are inferior, some are the best to be found.

Sometimes buying American is the right thing to do, but I am not going to buy American when it is not the best deal.

For example over the last two years I bought two new cars. The first we wanted a small sedan type that got good mileage. We ended up with a Kia, nothing any US car company made came close to the combination of value and price. Then the next purchase we wanted something big enough to travel comfortably in, including the dog. We got a Ford mid-sized SUV, far and away the best deal we could find.

If an American company wants me to buy their product they have to do better than merely stamping "made in America" on it.

allegiance to America vs. corporate interests can be dealt with far before the consumer needs to decide Gator

~S~

Some products China makes are inferior, some are the best to be found.

Sometimes buying American is the right thing to do, but I am not going to buy American when it is not the best deal.

For example over the last two years I bought two new cars. The first we wanted a small sedan type that got good mileage. We ended up with a Kia, nothing any US car company made came close to the combination of value and price. Then the next purchase we wanted something big enough to travel comfortably in, including the dog. We got a Ford mid-sized SUV, far and away the best deal we could find.

If an American company wants me to buy their product they have to do better than merely stamping "made in America" on it.

allegiance to America vs. corporate interests can be dealt with far before the consumer needs to decide Gator

~S~

Corporations should have not allegiance to America, that is very anti-capitalist idea. Their only allegiance should be to their shareholder and stakeholders.

Forum List

Back