The Reprehensible Right: Huckabee calls for repeal of 17th Amendment

What's funny here is that the RWnuts don't think that normal, sane people can see right through their support for changing the 17th amendment.

It has NOTHING to do with principle. It has EVERYTHING to do with conservatives once more trying to jigger the system to give undue advantage to conservatives.
You mean it gives "undue advantage" to freedom. Yeah, that's exactly what we want, a system that is slanted against government solutions and in favor of market based solutions. Only boot licking toadies believe government is the best solution to every problem.

“Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee (R) on Friday called for the repeal of the 17th Amendment and the return to senators selected by state legislatures after the Senate GOP's effort to repeal and replace ObamaCare died in a late-night vote.”

Huckabee calls for repeal of 17th Amendment after healthcare failure

Such advocacy of ‘repeal’ is made in bad faith, of course – motivated by rightist partisanism given the majority of the states are controlled by Republicans.

Needless to say, if a majority of the states were controlled by Democrats, we wouldn’t hear anything from the reprehensible right about ‘repealing’ the 17th Amendment.
Huckabee calls himself a man of God.

He want's to screw over the poor and middle class in favor of the rich. More Satan than Sanity.

He said the Obama's were lousy parents for letting their daughters listen to Beyonce.

Son’s Past Could Come Back to Bite Huckabee

Huckabee Squashed Charges Against His Son For Stoning, Hanging Dog

Mike Huckabee, An ordained Baptist minister, a monster.

I agree. Huckabee and Ayatollah Pence have a lot in common - RELIGIOUS HYPOCRISY. I respect "true" Christians - but not these evil assholes.
sure you do.....most here have read what you think of religious people....

Wrong. The US Constitution imposes no limits on the number of terms a US Senator can serve.

The constitution gives the power of term limits to the states.

Where does it say that? The states have term limits on their governors and several states have term limits on their state representatives.

Interesting though, Alabama Governor George Wallace was against term limits. Are you saying that you side up with George Wallace??
It's called voting them out every 2 years for Reps or every 6 years for Senators.
This begs the question of why though. Why do we need two houses of the legislature with the exact same purpose? The original setup at least makes sense on the face of it: One house to cater to the general public of the state and the other to cater to the state government. Now obviously we could make the argument that there's not that much difference since the state government is elected by the general public of the state, but if we accept that then it still undermines the purpose of the 17th Amendment.

Regardless, having two houses directly answerable to the general public doesn't make sense to me. So, and I ask in all seriousness, why have two? If this is how we're going to do it wouldn't it make more sense to just eliminate one of them?

“Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee (R) on Friday called for the repeal of the 17th Amendment and the return to senators selected by state legislatures after the Senate GOP's effort to repeal and replace ObamaCare died in a late-night vote.”

Such advocacy of ‘repeal’ is made in bad faith, of course – motivated by rightist partisanism given the majority of the states are controlled by Republicans.

Needless to say, if a majority of the states were controlled by Democrats, we wouldn’t hear anything from the reprehensible right about ‘repealing’ the 17th Amendment.

Why would you have a problem with term limits for Senators?

Would you go to a surgeon with little experience, or choose one with lots of experience? Would you to a fertilizer salesman, or an attorney for legal advice?
Wry are you trying to say a senator with 30 years in the senate is a better senator than one with 5?.....because there are plenty up there with lots of "experience" who are not that great at what they do...

I'm saying experience trumps inexperience. I'm not opposed to term limits, but if we limit the senate to one term (six years) we are setting up a system to pack The District with former Senators working for the Special Interests.

We've all had the experience of being stuck with teachers who have used the same lesson plan for decades. New blood bring fresh ideas and we sure need that today.

BUT none of this has anything to do with the 17th Amendment, as I noted above, which is a direct attack on democracy in America. When the Republicans found that the USSC overruled their efforts to suppress voting, if the 17th is repealed, we can be sure that gerrymandering will create a one party Congress and soon my fear noted in the signature line will be our future.

Calling it "an attack on democracy" is pure idiocy. Your theory is that any limitation on democracy is an "attack" on it. As if only using gasoline in your car instead of water is an "attack" on your car.

There's nothing inherently superior about democracy as a decision making process. In fact, it's grossly inferior to allowing people to make their own decisions. When you limit the scope of democracy, you increase personal freedom, and that's what you really oppose.

"Calling it "an attack on democracy" is pure idiocy...When you limit the scope of democracy, you increase personal freedom, and that's what you really oppose.

I'm now convinced bripat9643 is insane.

What's funny here is that the RWnuts don't think that normal, sane people can see right through their support for changing the 17th amendment.

It has NOTHING to do with principle. It has EVERYTHING to do with conservatives once more trying to jigger the system to give undue advantage to conservatives.
Why would this be an advantage to conservatives? Do you think they'd suddenly become more competitive in places like California or Connecticut? Why wouldn't the opposite be just as true for Democrats in Texas or Alabama?

Wrong. The US Constitution imposes no limits on the number of terms a US Senator can serve.

Where does it say that? The states have term limits on their governors and several states have term limits on their state representatives.

Interesting though, Alabama Governor George Wallace was against term limits. Are you saying that you side up with George Wallace??
It's called voting them out every 2 years for Reps or every 6 years for Senators.
This begs the question of why though. Why do we need two houses of the legislature with the exact same purpose? The original setup at least makes sense on the face of it: One house to cater to the general public of the state and the other to cater to the state government. Now obviously we could make the argument that there's not that much difference since the state government is elected by the general public of the state, but if we accept that then it still undermines the purpose of the 17th Amendment.

Regardless, having two houses directly answerable to the general public doesn't make sense to me. So, and I ask in all seriousness, why have two? If this is how we're going to do it wouldn't it make more sense to just eliminate one of them?
We all know that the purpose of the 17th Amendment was to destroy the independence of the states. Without that amendment, the federal government couldn't impose anything on the states without their consent. Senators stopped being the representative of the states and became just another cog in the federal machinery.

Would you go to a surgeon with little experience, or choose one with lots of experience? Would you to a fertilizer salesman, or an attorney for legal advice?
Wry are you trying to say a senator with 30 years in the senate is a better senator than one with 5?.....because there are plenty up there with lots of "experience" who are not that great at what they do...

I'm saying experience trumps inexperience. I'm not opposed to term limits, but if we limit the senate to one term (six years) we are setting up a system to pack The District with former Senators working for the Special Interests.

We've all had the experience of being stuck with teachers who have used the same lesson plan for decades. New blood bring fresh ideas and we sure need that today.

BUT none of this has anything to do with the 17th Amendment, as I noted above, which is a direct attack on democracy in America. When the Republicans found that the USSC overruled their efforts to suppress voting, if the 17th is repealed, we can be sure that gerrymandering will create a one party Congress and soon my fear noted in the signature line will be our future.

Calling it "an attack on democracy" is pure idiocy. Your theory is that any limitation on democracy is an "attack" on it. As if only using gasoline in your car instead of water is an "attack" on your car.

There's nothing inherently superior about democracy as a decision making process. In fact, it's grossly inferior to allowing people to make their own decisions. When you limit the scope of democracy, you increase personal freedom, and that's what you really oppose.

"Calling it "an attack on democracy" is pure idiocy...When you limit the scope of democracy, you increase personal freedom, and that's what you really oppose.

I'm now convinced bripat9643 is insane.
We all understand that you find reality to be insane.

Term Limits and Mandatory Retirement Age for all Politicians and Judges.
This would solve 99% of our problems

It was a compromise with language written in to do away with it at a later date. .

You mean by the 13th amendment?

If you call for the repeal of the 17th, why not the repeal of the 13th, or the 2nd?

Either you believe in the original constitution, or in the amendments.
I believe in the Amendment process. That does not mean I'm some kind of autonomic idiot who thinks that every single admendment to the Constitution is a good alteration of the original document. Prohibition was wrong, and it was repealed. How was it repealed is important? It was repealed with an Amendment, which makes it part of the Constitution.

An amendment repealing the 17th is, in My opinion, the correct thing to do. I was advocating for this many years before this last election so you don't have to bother with phony charges of supporting Trump.

The 13th has some things of merit, other things that are wrong. However, this is a discussion on the 17th. We need to return the voices of the States to the Federal Government.
Oh do tell us....what things in the 13th Amendment are wrong?
This thread is about the 17th. Do stick to it or be ignored.
I am responding to YOUR comment that there are things wrong with the 13th Amendment.....feel free to report me rather than answer my totally legitimate question based on your earlier comment.
Naw, I'll just ignore you. Won't even have to use the software to do it.

Edit to add: My bad, I was thinking the 14th when replying to the other guy who posted about the 13th.

Last edited:

He want's to screw over the poor and middle class in favor of the rich. More Satan than Sanity.

He said the Obama's were lousy parents for letting their daughters listen to Beyonce.

I agree. Huckabee and Ayatollah Pence have a lot in common - RELIGIOUS HYPOCRISY. I respect "true" Christians - but not these evil assholes.
sure you do.....most here have read what you think of religious people....
going by your reply to what i said lakota i take it im right....otherwise im sure a "respectful" guy like yourself would have proven me wrong...

Why would this be an advantage to conservatives? Do you think they'd suddenly become more competitive in places like California or Connecticut? Why wouldn't the opposite be just as true for Democrats in Texas or Alabama?

If it wasn't seen as an advantage to conservatives, conservatives wouldn't be widely in support of it.

The problem here is simple,

there's nothing wrong with electing Senators the way we elect them now.

Read up on The Great Compromise. One house treats all states equally no matter their size and one House takes into consideration the population of each state. Bicameral System.

Read up on The Great Compromise. One house treats all states equally no matter their size and one House takes into consideration the population of each state. Bicameral System.

Having state legislatures choose Senators was part of the compromise, moron.

Something must be done to end the corruption and rigging of elections that enable Senators to rig/bribe/corrupt their way into serving 40 years in the senate.

How about Citizens United v. FEC and CU v. McCutcheon go the way of Drew Scott and Plessy? And that real reform, not the fake shit the R's proposed on health care and soon on tax reform, making every dime donated to a campaign be accounted for by name of the person who donated. No money should be given to anything put before the voters without full transparency of who paid for it. No longer can money be given to a ballot measure or a candidate from "The American people who love apple pie, baseball and God"

So your solution is to end free speech rather than to restore the republic to its original state

It is too late to revert to the original Constitution since state legislatures are pretty much occupied by Swamp Rats. The solution is national elections for Senators residing in and representing each state, and they to have lived in that state for 20 years, be a natural born US citizen, etc. Swamp Rats like Schumer would be voted out immediately obviously.

Something must be done to end the corruption and rigging of elections that enable Senators to rig/bribe/corrupt their way into serving 40 years in the senate.

How about Citizens United v. FEC and CU v. McCutcheon go the way of Drew Scott and Plessy? And that real reform, not the fake shit the R's proposed on health care and soon on tax reform, making every dime donated to a campaign be accounted for by name of the person who donated. No money should be given to anything put before the voters without full transparency of who paid for it. No longer can money be given to a ballot measure or a candidate from "The American people who love apple pie, baseball and God"

So your solution is to end free speech rather than to restore the republic to its original state
More government control is always the leftwing solution to everything they fuck up.

Only a fool would allow anyone to listen to beyonce, not only is she a really shitty singer her and her husband are really shitty people… Fact
You dumbasses will defend any stupid criticism of Obama regardless of what it is.

Just one more ploy by the RWnuts to make our system less democratic.

We are not nuts, and making the system more democratic was the problem.

That was my point. Conservatives hate democratic government.
Yes, there's nothing especially divine about democracy. It's a terrible way to run anything. Just try to run a corporation by a majority vote of its workers and see what happens. The mob is often cruel, unjust, greedy, short sighted and vindictive.

Ok, so you've converted from anarchist to oligarch. I guess Trump and his idol Putin have won you over.

Huckabee pulled political strings to get beach home permitted

Forum List

Back