The risk of income inequality

If the top 5% are collecting that much of our nations available income

There you go again, thinking income (or wealth) is finite...like a pile of cash from which we all must draw. You really should stop that.

There is no "available income". Wealth can be created or destroyed. There is no limit to it, there is no distribution of it. You earn what you earn, which has NO BEARING on what someone else earns.

My God, you really do see everything through a collectivist lens don't you...

There you go again, thinking income (or wealth) is finite...like a pile of cash from which we all must draw. You really should stop that.

There is no "available income". Wealth can be created or destroyed. There is no limit to it, there is no distribution of it. You earn what you earn, which has NO BEARING on what someone else earns.

the liberal mind is a very strange thing.

No I'm for small government an low taxes.

Your clearly for big government and high taxes.

I'm for the right sized government and the right amount of taxes

the top 5% are paying 40% of the income taxes, the bottom 50% are paying nothing. Is that "fair" ?

The top 10% own more wealth than the bottom 90% combined, is that fair? They own, 90% of the wealth, seems to me, they should be paying 90% of the taxes.

the top 5% are paying 40% of the income taxes, the bottom 50% are paying nothing. Is that "fair" ?

The top 10% own more wealth than the bottom 90% combined, is that fair? They own, 90% of the wealth, seems to me, they should be paying 90% of the taxes.

No, we need a flat rate tax. Those receiving gov benefits, and pay no taxes, should be made to work on government projects that otherwise would be paid by my tax dollars.

Example- Take some of the government contracts for cleaning services, grounds maintenance etc and employ those we are paying to sit at home.

-Geaux

No, we need a flat rate tax. Those receiving gov benefits, and pay no taxes, should be made to work on government projects that otherwise would be paid by my tax dollars.

Example- Take some of the government contracts for cleaning services, grounds maintenance etc and employ those we are paying to sit at home.

-Geaux

So cut the contracts and put more people out of work?

Do you know what an "income tax" is?

If the top 5% are collecting that much of our nations available income, you bet your ass that is fair

I asked if you think its fair that 50% pay no income tax, and in fact many have a negative income tax due to EIC.

What specific things would you do to take income from the top earners and GIVE it to the lower 50%?

raising taxes will do nothing but drive successful people out of this country, you fricken libtards are determined to punish the job creators, because of your insane jealousy of their success.

Why are the rich leaving California and New York? Any idea, Norton? Puniative taxation, thats why.

OK..lets look at it this way

U.S._Distribution_of_Wealth,_2007.jpg

40% of our population controls 2 TENTHS of a percent of our nations wealth. That is the population you are complaining so much about

5% of our population controls 61.9% of our wealth. That is the population you believe is oppressed

You realize income taxes are based on...wait for it...income, not wealth, right?

Further, unless you have evidence that someone in that top 10% stole his wealth, then how is their net worth, whatever it may be, NOT fair? Do you think there is some magical distribution of wealth that constitutes "fair"? Who determines that?

Lastly, while I think the idea of taxing a person's labor...ANY person...is immoral, if we're going to have an income tax, how is a flat tax with the first $X exempt not "fair"? Can you explain that in your own words?

If the top 5% are collecting that much of our nations available income, you bet your ass that is fair

It's not the nation's income, nitwit. Income belongs to those who receive it. it doesn't belong to the government or "the nation."

the liberal mind is a very strange thing.

The phrase "liberal mind" is an oxymoron.

It's not the nation's income, nitwit. Income belongs to those who receive it. it doesn't belong to the government or "the nation."

Only to anarchists who still do not accept the fact that they are members of a society

There goes the liberal mind again.. thinking that the wealth owned belongs to someone else or the government.. and completely misunderstanding the difference between wealth and income

You realize income taxes are based on...wait for it...income, not wealth, right?

Further, unless you have evidence that someone in that top 10% stole his wealth, then how is their net worth, whatever it may be, NOT fair? Do you think there is some magical distribution of wealth that constitutes "fair"? Who determines that?

Lastly, while I think the idea of taxing a person's labor...ANY person...is immoral, if we're going to have an income tax, how is a flat tax with the first $X exempt not "fair"? Can you explain that in your own words?

Very true, which is why our super wealthy try to set up their compensation as capital gains rather than income

You know all those executives who claim they are only paid $1 a year but have huge stock options?

It's not about YOU or ME you fucking imbecile.

US_productivity_and_real_wages.jpg

This is just another excuse. You can improve your income in a matter of months, if you really want to, and there is nothing this graph can do to stop you.

You can mow lawns and make $36K a year.
You can drive a truck, free schooling, and make $45K a year starting.
You can work at Walmart, enter their management training program, and end up $70K a year.

I could list off the first hand stories of people who have done all of this.

There's a popular restaurant down the road from me, started by a guy who made his living as a cook for a tiny hole in the wall shop. Mexican immigrant, no education, barely speaks English. Now he owns his own store.

I worked at an auto parts store, where the assistant manager worked his way up from being a minimum wage employee. Now he's the store manager at a new store.

I know a guy from Romania, who started out flipping burgers at Wendy's where I worked in high school. Now he's store manager of the largest Hertz rent-a-car in Columbus. He didn't even own a car when he worked at Wendy's. Now he's pulling $70K plus store profit bonus.

All of these people, and dozens of others I could list, are now making good money. The difference between those people, and people like you, are that they didn't b!tching about a graph. They are standing up, moving, and making life happen for them.

The people like me, on the right, are not suggesting merely "you should work harder".

It's not 'working harder' that solves everything. It's working smarter. That Mexican dude's solution, wasn't to "work harder" at being a low wage cook at a tiny hole in the wall diner. The solution was to save up cash, not blow it on beer and parties, and then open a his own store.

That guy at the auto part stores solution, wasn't to b!tch about a "living wage" and complain about the little man can't get ahead. The solution was to take the companies free management classes, and work for promotions, until they gave him his own store.

That Romanian guy's solution was not to stomp around outside the Wendy's with a sign saying "We want $15/hr!". His solution was to find a job that paid more, and work that.

If you waste your life b!tching and complaining about how things should be, you'll just waste your life. Get off your butt.... and go make life happen.

Your "I know a guy" analogies do not work

Nobody is questioning whether it is still possible to find good paying jobs in this country. The issue is there are not enough good paying jobs out there for the 30 million who have to rely on additional government support to get by

There are not 30 million lawn mowing jobs out there. There are not 30 million "second jobs" out there

The problem with income inequality is that there are fewer career paths open to jobs that you can sustain yourself on

If a guy from Romania can come here with no education, and is able to support a family of 4 on minimum wage at Wendy's, then the entire concept of "the 30 million who have to rely on additional government support to get by" theory is false.

It's just false. You can make it on very little. I have. In 2012, I made a grand total of $12K for the whole year. I survived. I managed. I didn't take a penny from the tax payers.

Was it easy? No. Was it fun. Absolutely not. Was it something I want to continue? No.

But the solution to that problem wasn't a government program. It was me, getting a better job. Which is what I did.

-Geaux

Not entirely, you augment your hiring plan. I would rather see we start with the those enabled to stay at home as they have no incentive to work. Those who truly seek work will find it

-Geaux

No I'm for small government an low taxes.

Your clearly for big government and high taxes.

That's a good way to put it.

So many in the right seem to have no clue how the actions of the rich are increasing government. Send jobs to China, more people on welfare. Cut health benefits, obamacare. Eliminate pensions, people rely on social security. And on and on. Now government has made some bad moves to so it's not just the rich, but the rich have really benefitted by sticking the bill on the government.

That makes no sense. That actions that send jobs to China, is actions that make it unprofitable to build stuff here in the US.

What actions have the right taken to make it unprofitable to build things domestically?

Environmental regulations? Nope. Labor laws? Nope. Taxes? Nope. All of those things are things the left have pushed, that have driven out jobs. Not the right.

Very true, which is why our super wealthy try to set up their compensation as capital gains rather than income

You know all those executives who claim they are only paid $1 a year but have huge stock options?

And still pay a higher % of tax on those capital gains than a majority of citizens pay on their total income
Again.. answer.. flat tax on all income without exception, exemption, ceiling, floor, deduction, or excuse...

I asked if you think its fair that 50% pay no income tax, and in fact many have a negative income tax due to EIC.

What specific things would you do to take income from the top earners and GIVE it to the lower 50%?

raising taxes will do nothing but drive successful people out of this country, you fricken libtards are determined to punish the job creators, because of your insane jealousy of their success.

Why are the rich leaving California and New York? Any idea, Norton? Puniative taxation, thats why.

OK..lets look at it this way

U.S._Distribution_of_Wealth,_2007.jpg

40% of our population controls 2 TENTHS of a percent of our nations wealth. That is the population you are complaining so much about

5% of our population controls 61.9% of our wealth. That is the population you believe is oppressed

Must be nice to own most of the wealth and get a bunch of poor repubs to believe you are also the victim

-Geaux

Not entirely, you augment your hiring plan. I would rather see we start with the those enabled to stay at home as they have no incentive to work. Those who truly seek work will find it

-Geaux

Not entirely? If it costs jobs it's a pretty bad plan. Will only grow the number not working.

How about we create incentives for companies to employ here? That makes a lot more sense.

Forum List

Back