The Senate Is Unmoved

Far from it

Republicans are setting a new paradigm where filling the Supreme Court takes second fiddle to partisan politics

They will live to regret it

LOL, See Ted Kennedy or Joe Biden. When it comes to partisan Supreme Court hackery, no one is more partisan than they.
They asked tough questions didn't they?

It is part of the confirmation process.....a process Republicans won't even consider. They will live to regret it

They grandstanded and made political statements, often cutting off nominees in mid explanation of their decisions and directly calling them racist sexist bigots.

The only reason Democrats went ahead with hearings was because Reagan, knowing that the Democrats aimed to block his appointee, nominated a left of center justice. The difference between then and now was that Reagan compromised with a Democrat congress. Obama would have never pulled such a move.
Nobody said confirmation is easy

Republicans say you can't even get a hearing. If they have tough questions for Garland, let's hear them

they don't.... they'd rather sit there like the radical, rabid dolts they are and pretend the black guy isn't president.
Obama is tossing them a softball

Hillary will not be so kind

Republicans have decided their political party is now the only god they bow and pray to. The Constitution has no meaning for them now. They have a year to interview and grill and whatever else to whomever is nominated and then vote, but for their politics alone they said they are suspending the Constitution.

This is a dead party. Once you cross that line and say 'we are going to cheat everywhere all the time because living within the Constitution means we lose' then your party is dead. Stop pretending to be Americans, you aren't. You've given up on this democracy. That is what it boils down to and all the gnashing of teeth and searching the internet for this or that speech or quote and acting as if you have now elevated a speech or something some person said to the supreme law of the land because it suits your purpose, isn't going to change anything.

The Republicans are using their politics to ignore the Constitution. Conservatism has become the anti-Constitution worldview. That document does not work for conservatives so, just as in 1860, they've decided it's time to ignore it.

All because this group of people cannot accept the society has changed around them and they will also have to change in some small to moderate way. It is the selfishness of a child writ large. 'If I can't have my way then nobody gets to play'.

How these people can look their own children in the eye is one of those moments of lying to one's self to the point of schizophrenia. You cannot act in this lowlife way and also say you love and want what's best for your own children. You are burning the Constitution; nothing else you could do is worse.

Republicans have decided their political party is now the only god they bow and pray to. The Constitution has no meaning for them now. They have a year to interview and grill and whatever else to whomever is nominated and then vote, but for their politics alone they said they are suspending the Constitution.

This is a dead party. Once you cross that line and say 'we are going to cheat everywhere all the time because living within the Constitution means we lose' then your party is dead. Stop pretending to be Americans, you aren't. You've given up on this democracy. That is what it boils down to and all the gnashing of teeth and searching the internet for this or that speech or quote and acting as if you have now elevated a speech or something some person said to the supreme law of the land because it suits your purpose, isn't going to change anything.

The Republicans are using their politics to ignore the Constitution. Conservatism has become the anti-Constitution worldview. That document does not work for conservatives so, just as in 1860, they've decided it's time to ignore it.

All because this group of people cannot accept the society has changed around them and they will also have to change in some small to moderate way. It is the selfishness of a child writ large. 'If I can't have my way then nobody gets to play'.

How these people can look their own children in the eye is one of those moments of lying to one's self to the point of schizophrenia. You cannot act in this lowlife way and also say you love and want what's best for your own children. You are burning the Constitution; nothing else you could do is worse.

From the guy who supported the nuclear option for Obama care comes the I wanna justice that adapts the U.S. Constitution to the opinions of "society," whatever that is, without so much as the Constitutional Amendment process.

Ya gotta love this headline. Senate is back from Spring Break (you mean they were doing anything before that) and all set to not do a single thing about a huge number of things.

Especially to pay attention to Obama's choice of someone to fill the vacant seat on the Supreme Court.

Read full story @ The Senate Will Not Confirm Merrick Garland

hey... they're your do-nothing congress.

congrats :thup:

It is part of the confirmation process.....a process Republicans won't even consider. They will live to regret it

They grandstanded and made political statements, often cutting off nominees in mid explanation of their decisions and directly calling them racist sexist bigots.

The only reason Democrats went ahead with hearings was because Reagan, knowing that the Democrats aimed to block his appointee, nominated a left of center justice. The difference between then and now was that Reagan compromised with a Democrat congress. Obama would have never pulled such a move.

Republicans say you can't even get a hearing. If they have tough questions for Garland, let's hear them

Perhaps you might .... In November. Perhaps not.
November?

I thought they were waiting for the new President. Are you admitting Republicans are slimy enough to confirm Obama 's appointment if Hillary is elected?

I wouldn't put it passed them. Would you? Do you think that Democrats would be slimy enough to block the vote?

If they try a fast track, lame duck appointment, I wouldn't be surprised if Obama pulls the nomination

Hillary will not nominate someone as old or moderate as Garland

Ya gotta love this headline. Senate is back from Spring Break (you mean they were doing anything before that) and all set to not do a single thing about a huge number of things.

Especially to pay attention to Obama's choice of someone to fill the vacant seat on the Supreme Court.

Read full story @ The Senate Will Not Confirm Merrick Garland

November?

I thought they were waiting for the new President. Are you admitting Republicans are slimy enough to confirm Obama 's appointment if Hillary is elected?

I wouldn't put it passed them. Would you? Do you think that Democrats would be slimy enough to block the vote?

If they try a fast track, lame duck appointment, I wouldn't be surprised if Obama pulls the nomination

So your official position is politics for me but not for thee? Glad we cleared that up.

It's all the Republicans have left

Full time filibuster, gerrymander and blocking judicial appointments

They have moved past blocking judges to leaving a Supreme Court vacancy open for over a year

November?

So your official position is politics for me but not for thee? Glad we cleared that up.
It's more consequences for your actions

Wanna wait for a new President? Pay the consequences

They have moved past blocking judges to leaving a Supreme Court vacancy open for over a year

And this surprises you? The republic is at stake. Can't say I blame them.

November?

Oh, so your position is that "democrats are holier than thou except when they aren't." Well, we will see. Obama has already told Chris Wallace that he will not retract his nominee if a democrat is elected in Nov. We will see.

Conservatives have had a majority on the court since the 70s

Do they think the republic depends on them controlling the courts?

November?

Oh, so your position is that "democrats are holier than thou except when they aren't." Well, we will see. Obama has already told Chris Wallace that he will not retract his nominee if a democrat is elected in Nov. We will see.
We shall see how it plays out

Regardless, Republicans will hold the losing hand

They will beg for Garland

Last edited:

Certainly it does. The U.S. Constitution should not magically change from generation to generation without so much as an amendment. Stare decisis especially makes liberal judges so dangerous. The difference between a liberal justice and a conservative justice can be seen below.

Considerations of a Conservative justice on statutory or constitutional interpretation

Text
History
Tradition
Precedent

Considerations of a Liberal Justice on statutory or constitutional interpretation

Text
History
Tradition
Precedent
Purpose (WILDLY SUBJECTIVE)
Consequences (WILDLY SUBJECTIVE)

Indeed, the Republic is at stake. Purpose and Consequences are completely new tools of Constitutional interpretation made up by liberal justices within the last 60 years. That and the idea a legal text can change without so much as an amendment is also a liberal phenomenon. Liberals have rendered useless the amendment process and today the U.S. Constitution, in their eyes, can mean everything and anything they want it to.

We shall see how it plays out

Regardless, Republucans will hold the losing hand

They will beg for Garland

You'll want to see this Chris Wallace talks his interview with President Obama . Of course I don't believe a word of it.

LOL, See Ted Kennedy or Joe Biden. When it comes to partisan Supreme Court hackery, no one is more partisan than they.

they don't.... they'd rather sit there like the radical, rabid dolts they are and pretend the black guy isn't president.
Obama is tossing them a softball

Hillary will not be so kind

they're so pathetic.

and then they'll whine that they're being mistreated.

wackos.

Certainly it does. The U.S. Constitution should not magically change from generation to generation without so much as an amendment. Stare decisis especially makes liberal judges so dangerous. The difference between a liberal justice and a conservative justice can be seen below.

Considerations of a Conservative justice on statutory or constitutional interpretation

Text
History
Tradition
Precedent

Considerations of a Liberal Justice on statutory or constitutional interpretation

Text
History
Tradition
Precedent

Indeed, the Republic is at stake. Purpose and Consequences are completely new tools of Constitutional interpretation made up by liberal justices within the last 60 years.

ah... if only you were equipped to understand the constitution.

and you forgot the whole part where the rightwing judges simply make up things like that corporations are people or after 200 plus years, suddenly there is a private right of gun ownership..

:rofl:

Text
History
Tradition
Precedent

Text
History
Tradition
Precedent

Indeed, the Republic is at stake. Purpose and Consequences are completely new tools of Constitutional interpretation made up by liberal justices within the last 60 years.

Sounds like a challenge. Lets go! I'll even let you choose the topic.

Only after they got Kennedy as a compromise. Kennedy was and is far more left than right when it comes to the interpretation of Constitutional and legal texts. If Obama were to do the equivalent it would be as if he nominated Roberts. Fat chance. The Kennedy example reflects on the Republicans ability to compromise on a Supreme Court nominee more so than it does the Democrats who vowed to black the possible Supreme Court pick until a leftist was chosen. If, for example, Reagan chose someone to the right of Kennedy, Dems would have never brought it to a vote. If Obama nominated someone who was the distance to the right as Kennedy is to the left then I think Republicans would bring it to a vote. He didn't. So all history tells us is that a Republican president was able to nominate a liberal moderate to the Court to break the democrat sanctioned blockade. Obama, on the other hand, has nominated someone who is to the left of even Kennedy. No surprise. If he pulled a Reagan I think he could get the vote he desires. Obama won't do that.

Reagan did nominate someone to the right of Kennedy, his name was Bork and he got a floor vote.

>>>>

Indeed he was "Borked." It was immediately after Bork when Democrats tried to block any further nominees until Reagan gave them Kennedy. Once again this goes to show how a Republican president found compromise more so than it shows Republican obstructionism. This doesn't exactly make your point. Democrats were trying to run out the Reagan clock after they borked Bork. In my opinion, that's even worse. If I'm not mistaken, the dems were going to sit on it for far longer than the republicans are sitting on the nominee today.

Why go as low as Dead Ted Kennedy ?

The slimewad.

Obama should nominate and the GOP should allow the process to run.

Republicans only have themselves to blame.

Better get your guns before it's to late !!!

Text
History
Tradition
Precedent

Text
History
Tradition
Precedent

and you forgot the whole part where the rightwing judges simply make up things like that corporations are people or after 200 plus years, suddenly there is a private right of gun ownership..

B.. b..bu...bu...but...but....

Al Gore said the Constitution was a "living document".

How'd that work out for him.

Not that I agree, at all, with Citizens United.

It's just funny to see you left wing asswipes bit by your own snakes.

Text
History
Tradition
Precedent

Text
History
Tradition
Precedent

The Constitution says the President nominates the Senate gives consent/approval

Republicans are willing to leave one branch of Government unfilled for political purposes

Throwin a tantrum because conservatives no longer control SCOTUS is not in the Constitution

Text
History
Tradition
Precedent

Text
History
Tradition
Precedent

The Constitution says the President nominates the Senate gives consent/approval

Republicans are willing to leave one branch of Government unfilled for political purposes

Throwin a tantrum because conservatives no longer control SCOTUS is not in the Constitution

Yes indeed, the Republic is at stake and they should hold firm.

Forum List

Back