The Sequester

Does anyone buy into Obama's BS on this? He is claiming that the entire economy will collapse if 80 billion is cut from the federal spending.

The congress just spent almost that much on Sandy relief.

This is just more scare tactic rhetoric by the marxist kenyan.

If the sequester kicks in, no one will feel it--no one. If anyone thinks there is not 10% fat in the DOD budget then I have some underwater investment property to sell you in the swamp.

Certain sectors of the economy and certain areas of the country will be hit very hard.

You mean like the parasite sector? Actually, not even that will be "hit hard." $80 is 2% of the budget. Anyone who claims that's a "big hit" is simply a hosebag.

I think there is plenty in the defense budget that can be cut seeing as how it's at least 50% higher now than it was before 9-11. But the sequester wasn't planned out in a methodical way since it was never seriously believed that it would happen. It was meant to be something that would be so unacceptable as to force the Democrats and the Republicans to reach a consensus compromise. From what I can see, it's not working out that way.

I think we can cut the EPA back to where it was before Obama was elected. That will net $80 billion right there.

the Republicans are running with their tax breaks - just like they did during their Iraqi war that led to the Republican 07-09 Great Recession.

not History but Stupidity is what repeats itself.

what fucking "tax breaks" are you referring to? We just had a $600 billion tax increase, asshole.

Does anyone buy into Obama's BS on this? He is claiming that the entire economy will collapse if 80 billion is cut from the federal spending.

If the sequester kicks in, no one will feel it--no one. If anyone thinks there is not 10% fat in the DOD budget then I have some underwater investment property to sell you in the swamp.

Perhaps you don't understand that the U.S. economy, since Ronald Reagan was elected, has been largely supported by federal deficit spending. I have no doubt at all that a severe recession will revisit us if we have the sequester.

Unfortunately, I think that's exactly what it will take to get these stupid fucking Republicans in Congress to think beyond "deficit reduction."

Finally! Someone with some Damn common sense. Rep dude.

I don't buy into what he's doing but he's doing it and he's doing it well enough to put a choke hold on the Republicans AND their party platform.

He's using a method of the Republican strategy of "Starving the Beast" to choke the Republicans in this second term. If the Republicans don't win in 2016....

It's a done deal.

Perhaps you don't understand that the U.S. economy, since Ronald Reagan was elected, has been largely supported by federal deficit spending. I have no doubt at all that a severe recession will revisit us if we have the sequester.

That's like saying you filled the bathtub by scooping water our of one end and pouring it into the other. Every single dime the federal government spends comes out of the economy, one way or another. The claim that federal deficit spending "supports the economy is in the top 10 dumbest ever posted to this forum.

Unfortunately, I think that's exactly what it will take to get these stupid fucking Republicans in Congress to think beyond "deficit reduction."

What will it take to get the stupid fucking Democrats to think beyond spend, spend, spend?

It's truly precious to see how little understanding Republicans have of basic economics. Consider this, my pointy-headed little friend: Every dollar that circulates through the U.S. economy comes from debt created by the U.S. government through the FRS. You said, "Every single dime the federal government spends comes out of the economy, one way or another." Actually, you have it quite backwards--every dime in the economy originates from the U.S. government. That's the nature of monetary growth.

DUH

It was his idea and now he wants to blame someone else. Typical Maobama, marketing an empty box, himslef.

Actually the sequester was and remains the Messiahs proposal. As for gutting defense that too was the main portion of his deficit reduction plan, as well, the threat to the defense industry not to lay anyone off prior to the election. So after defense is gutted you as well will have to face the reality that further cuts will be forthcoming and that congress must face the fact that the era of simply printing money and living off credit has come to an end.
As usual, the Misinformation Voter gets it wrong and just parrots the GOP scripted lies spread through the GOP hate media echo chamber.

Actually it was Lyin' Ryan who demanded the sequester be part of the bill and bragged about it being "in the law" after it passed. Lyin' Ryan owns the sequester, he wanted it then and he still wants it now and is making it part of his new budget proposal!!! Lyin' Ryan sold the sequester to Boner who included it as part of his powerpoint presentation to House Republicans just before the House vote.

“what conservatives like me have been fighting for, for years are statutory caps on spending, literally legal caps in law that says government agencies cannot spend over a set amount of money and if they breach that amount across the board sequester comes in to cut that spending. You can’t turn it out without a supermajority. We got that into law."
- Paul Ryan, August 2011

1361370106003.png.CROP.article568-large.png

A slide from the final page of Speaker John Boehner's Powerpoint to House Republicans on July 31st, 2011

That's like saying you filled the bathtub by scooping water our of one end and pouring it into the other. Every single dime the federal government spends comes out of the economy, one way or another. The claim that federal deficit spending "supports the economy is in the top 10 dumbest ever posted to this forum.

What will it take to get the stupid fucking Democrats to think beyond spend, spend, spend?

It's truly precious to see how little understanding Republicans have of basic economics. Consider this, my pointy-headed little friend: Every dollar that circulates through the U.S. economy comes from debt created by the U.S. government through the FRS. You said, "Every single dime the federal government spends comes out of the economy, one way or another." Actually, you have it quite backwards--every dime in the economy originates from the U.S. government. That's the nature of monetary growth.

DUH

You are grossly misinformed.
Obama just took $800B from the economy in a tax increase. And that's supposed to benefit everyone. But a cut in gov't spending of 400B is going to plunge us into recession and abyss.
Hello?
Are you paying attention? You've been had.

You are grossly misinformed.
Obama just took $800B from the economy in a tax increase. And that's supposed to benefit everyone. But a cut in gov't spending of 400B is going to plunge us into recession and abyss.
Hello?
Are you paying attention? You've been had.

This is a stupid statement.

Guess where the lion's share of the deficit is "borrowed" from? American citizens. Guess who pays it back? American citizens. Guess who gets the money when it is repaid? American citizens.

As long as you consider governance and monetary policy as being equivalent to business operations, you will remain clueless and ignorant.

The debt MUST be increased to reflect increased asset value of the goods produced in the economy. Debt creation is the way our system uses to create new money. I can't believe you people still don't get that concept.

What will happen if we reduce the money supply when the economy continues to expand? Any ideas?

Classic left vs right BS. Clueless sheep follow whatever their respective party says and repeat as gospel. Truth is waaaay above your intellectual pay grade.

Let the sequester take effect. It's the only way we'll get any meaningful cuts in defense.

Let it take effect, and then let the Congress try to reinstate the spending without busting the budget.

DUH

That has got to be the most ignorant statement I have ever seen on any internet board.

All money in the economy comes from the govt???? are you a fucking baboon living in a zoo?

Yes, the govt has the printing presses, is that what your foolish rant is about?

That has got to be the most ignorant statement I have ever seen on any internet board.

All money in the economy comes from the govt???? are you a fucking baboon living in a zoo?

Yes, the govt has the printing presses, is that what your foolish rant is about?

Well, at least your stupidity is consistent. I recommend that you read the words on the currency.

Without the existence, backing, and assurance of the U.S. government, American currency would have zero value. ZILCH.

LOL, the sequester is 80 billion, we just spent 60 billion on Sandy recovery. Without Sandy would the sequester only be 20 billion?

This is nothing but political bullshit, obama has never had any intention of doing whats best for the economy, he wants to see it crumble between now and nov 2014 so the dem/libs can take complete control of DC and declare him president for life.

We are living in very dangerous times and 70% of the country does not give a shit.

You are 100% correct. 80 Billion is a pimple on a flea compared to the 3.16 TRILLION we spend every year. It is NOTHING but a very small START.

Old folks (like me) are not going to have to eat horse meat. Those on Social Security (like me) will get their checks. The "hundreds of thousands of teachers" (Obama's go to crisis) will NOT lose their jobs. The Nation will still be defended.

Besides, let's say for a moment that it WAS a big deal (it is not) but let's assume for a second that it was. Why the hell was Barry out playing golf, if it is such a "big deal"? Why is the House and Senate on yet another vacation if it is such a big deal??

Just more democrats looking for a way to blame republicans for their own incompetence. THE SKY IS FALLING!!! THE SKY IS FALLING!!! THE SKY IS FALLING!!!

And it's all the repubs fault. Shoot, Just once I'd like to see the sky fall and hit the commie democrats squarely on their collective heads.

DUH

Works well enough until the middle starts feeding the top in a increasingly imbalanced system which will crash under its own top heavy weight sooner or later.

Well, at least your stupidity is consistent. I recommend that you read the words on the currency.

Without the existence, backing, and assurance of the U.S. government, American currency would have zero value. ZILCH.

Of course, but in your inane ignorance do you think the economy would not work without government printed money?

But thats a little off topic. you earlier claimed that all money in the economy comes from government spending----not that dollars are used as the medium of exchange.

nice try, but my earlier statement stands, your earlier post is the dumbest I have ever seen on any internet forum.

DUH

Works well enough until the middle starts feeding the top in a increasingly imbalanced system which will crash under its own top heavy weight sooner or later.

Oh, here we go again---the evil rich and obama is robin hood. are you that dumb?

DUH

Oh, here we go again---the evil rich and obama is robin hood. are you that dumb?

America is a system, like an ecosystem, there is the government, business, military, young, not so young, red, first generation south easterner. All these categories have to live in a balance. The term checks and 'balances' meant that the government had to stay in balance but the whole system also has to stay in balance. So in a way this isn't a spending problem, it is not a revenue problem, it is a balance problem. At one time it was a race imbalance, one time it was a gender imbalance, one it was an Irish imbalance, one time it was a military imbalance. Right now it is a financial imbalance. Those who are heavy one the scale have to put some over on the other side of the scale. Is it 'fair'? I don't know and I don't really care. I do care about America however and because I do I am advocating for restoring balance to the Experiment. Otherwise we are just another milestone in the history of man who tried to get it right but failed. Better luck next time.

Of course, but in your inane ignorance do you think the economy would not work without government printed money?

But thats a little off topic. you earlier claimed that all money in the economy comes from government spending----not that dollars are used as the medium of exchange.

nice try, but my earlier statement stands, your earlier post is the dumbest I have ever seen on any internet forum.

NO, dumbass. All new money in the economy comes from issuance of new debt, and if you don't know that, you need to shut the fuck up.

America is a system, like an ecosystem, there is the government, business, military, young, not so young, red, first generation south easterner. All these categories have to live in a balance. The term checks and 'balances' meant that the government had to stay in balance but the whole system also has to stay in balance. So in a way this isn't a spending problem, it is not a revenue problem, it is a balance problem. At one time it was a race imbalance, one time it was a gender imbalance, one it was an Irish imbalance, one time it was a military imbalance. Right now it is a financial imbalance. Those who are heavy one the scale have to put some over on the other side of the scale. Is it 'fair'? I don't know and I don't really care. I do care about America however and because I do I am advocating for restoring balance to the Experiment. Otherwise we are just another milestone in the history of man who tried to get it right but failed. Better luck next time.

If you are calling for a balanced federal budget--- I agree 100%. we are spending too much and collecting too little. I favor achieving balance by reducing spending---the way most of us have to operate our personal finances.

Sounds like you just want to grow the govt--- more revenue and more spending.

NO, dumbass. All new money in the economy comes from issuance of new debt, and if you don't know that, you need to shut the fuck up.

Yes, when the govt prints worthless money, debt is created and each dollar in circulation is worth less.

The govt is currently borrowing 46 cents of every dollar is spends---think about that, almost half of govt spending is borrowed.

we are not paying anything on the principal of that debt--only the interest.

do you consider that sound fiscal policy?

Forum List

Back