The US military is on the wrong side of history

I am a military veteran. I served in the 37th Engineer Battalion, part of the famous 82nd Airborne Division. I have ample experience of the military from within.

But right now, I am speaking from the point of view of a civilian: the people you swore an oath to defend. A millennial male, not yet 25 years old, who has lived in both New York City and the rural west. I have been to college, and will continue my studies this fall semester. I believe that my views represent those of the average American young adult, the voters, politicians, and citizens of the future.

When the average educated young adult thinks about the military, certain issues pop up immediately. One issue that has been making headlines for some time is the huge crisis of sexual assault within our armed forces.pentagon-rand-sexual-assault-reportsWhen a non-misogynistic person who follows the news sees that this has been a problem for a very long time, and no progress is being made, he or she starts to ask questions about how much the military really cares for the well being of women in uniform. From my brief experience with the army, the SHARP program is treated like a joke. Nobody, from the privates all the way up the chain of command, seems to actually give a shit about stopping sexual harassment and assault. The word "SHARP" is treated like a joke, a mockery. And even though my experience is very limited, there documented evidence that sexual assault in the "real army" is being covered up at the highest levels.Inside the U.S. military’s culture of sex abuse, denial and cover-up

Another thing which a well-informed person notices about the armed forces is that the racial, religious, and political demographics of the military are not representative of the country. Some States Have Much Higher Enlistment Rates Than Others The Widening Gap Between Military and Society The south is way overrepresented in enlistment numbers. The military is far more republican and conservative than the public as a whole. The problem with this is manyfold. First off, the vast majority of the country's educated population, the thinkers and leaders of the future, come from the northeast. In contrast, the less educated, more ignorant south makes up the majority of the armed forces, placing the military years behind the rest of the country in terms of social attitudes and progress. Also, since conservatives and the republican party are dying out, The Dying Republican Base the political views held by the majority of the military, which are already the minority in the public as a whole, will become even less representative of the country as a whole. A smart, educated citizen can draw no other conclusion than the fact that the military does not represent the people, but is an antiquated, regressive institution whose members are far too reactionary, and far too entrenched in the uneducated, bigoted ways of the south from where most of its members come.

Is it any wonder that fewer and fewer young americans, especially those who are well educated and come from modern and progressive regions of the country, are enlisting in the armed forces? The US military’s real problem: Fewer Americans are joining I think not. The modern generation of educated young adults, the future of this country, is tired of the misogyny, the reactionary ideals, and the misguided political beliefs of the average service member.

My generation is more kind, more empathetic than any previous generations.http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/17/fashion/the-millennials-are-generation-nice.html?_r=0Why Millennials Will Be More Empathetic Leaders My generation is more educated than any previous generations: Millennials Are the Most Educated, Worst Paid Generation . All of these stand in direct contrast to the far-right politics, violent purpose, and extreme sociopathy so prevalent in our redneck dominated armed forces. You can try to deny it or bury your head in the sand as much as you want. But the fact of the matter is that the military is on the wrong side of history.

Your generation is among the LEAST educated ever produced by this country. The vast majority of you can't find the country you live in on a unmarked globe. The level of your ignorance is stunningly profound, and your reveling in your ignorance is astounding. No wonder the vast majority of you still live at home with your parents.

Its no shock that enlistment is down . Would you trust our pols with your life ? They have no qualms of shipping kids to some god awful place on the very loose tie of "defending America ".

Job market is up, enlistments go down

That is how it always works

More people out of the work force than has been seen since the 1970's Good job obummer!

Its no shock that enlistment is down . Would you trust our pols with your life ? They have no qualms of shipping kids to some god awful place on the very loose tie of "defending America ".

People aren't inspired to join . POst 9-11 there was a rush of people looking to enlist .

Why would you join now ? Other than for the benefits .

People aren't inspired to join . POst 9-11 there was a rush of people looking to enlist .

Here's what you're really asking: When our President doesn't have a coherent Middle East strategy making friends with the evil Iranian leadership, working with ISIS to topple Syria and helping Al Qaeda topple Libya, why would anyone still believe in defending their country when the leader of our military isn't really on our side?

The answer according to the people in my family, which includes my nephew who's about to go back to Afghanistan for like the seventh time and my cousin who's back in the US but still working for the military is they still do believe in defending our country. It was never on behalf of Obama in the first place

I am a military veteran. I served in the 37th Engineer Battalion, part of the famous 82nd Airborne Division. I have ample experience of the military from within.

But right now, I am speaking from the point of view of a civilian: the people you swore an oath to defend. A millennial male, not yet 25 years old, who has lived in both New York City and the rural west. I have been to college, and will continue my studies this fall semester. I believe that my views represent those of the average American young adult, the voters, politicians, and citizens of the future.

When the average educated young adult thinks about the military, certain issues pop up immediately. One issue that has been making headlines for some time is the huge crisis of sexual assault within our armed forces.pentagon-rand-sexual-assault-reportsWhen a non-misogynistic person who follows the news sees that this has been a problem for a very long time, and no progress is being made, he or she starts to ask questions about how much the military really cares for the well being of women in uniform. From my brief experience with the army, the SHARP program is treated like a joke. Nobody, from the privates all the way up the chain of command, seems to actually give a shit about stopping sexual harassment and assault. The word "SHARP" is treated like a joke, a mockery. And even though my experience is very limited, there documented evidence that sexual assault in the "real army" is being covered up at the highest levels.Inside the U.S. military’s culture of sex abuse, denial and cover-up

Another thing which a well-informed person notices about the armed forces is that the racial, religious, and political demographics of the military are not representative of the country. Some States Have Much Higher Enlistment Rates Than Others The Widening Gap Between Military and Society The south is way overrepresented in enlistment numbers. The military is far more republican and conservative than the public as a whole. The problem with this is manyfold. First off, the vast majority of the country's educated population, the thinkers and leaders of the future, come from the northeast. In contrast, the less educated, more ignorant south makes up the majority of the armed forces, placing the military years behind the rest of the country in terms of social attitudes and progress. Also, since conservatives and the republican party are dying out, The Dying Republican Base the political views held by the majority of the military, which are already the minority in the public as a whole, will become even less representative of the country as a whole. A smart, educated citizen can draw no other conclusion than the fact that the military does not represent the people, but is an antiquated, regressive institution whose members are far too reactionary, and far too entrenched in the uneducated, bigoted ways of the south from where most of its members come.

Is it any wonder that fewer and fewer young americans, especially those who are well educated and come from modern and progressive regions of the country, are enlisting in the armed forces? The US military’s real problem: Fewer Americans are joining I think not. The modern generation of educated young adults, the future of this country, is tired of the misogyny, the reactionary ideals, and the misguided political beliefs of the average service member.

My generation is more kind, more empathetic than any previous generations.http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/17/fashion/the-millennials-are-generation-nice.html?_r=0Why Millennials Will Be More Empathetic Leaders My generation is more educated than any previous generations: Millennials Are the Most Educated, Worst Paid Generation . All of these stand in direct contrast to the far-right politics, violent purpose, and extreme sociopathy so prevalent in our redneck dominated armed forces. You can try to deny it or bury your head in the sand as much as you want. But the fact of the matter is that the military is on the wrong side of history.
You may be a millennial male, but I couldn't give a rat's ass. I am old enough to know bullshit when read,see or smell it.

So, your post is bullshit.

May a millennial male, but I could give a rat's ass. I am old enough to know bullshit when read,see or smell it.

So, your post is bullshit.

His military experience was actually in a video game he played in his underwear in his parents basement

After the Great Bush Recession of 2008, there were few job opportunities for HS Grads and even College grads were signing up. The pay and benefits were better than they could get in the private sector.

Now, employment is up and salaries are slowly catching up. Enlistments are down like they usually are in a rising market

I remember the Clinton years in the 90s. Employers were raiding the military for anyone with a technical background

The OP is on the wrong side of the Intelligence Divide.

Here's what you're really asking: When our President doesn't have a coherent Middle East strategy making friends with the evil Iranian leadership, working with ISIS to topple Syria and helping Al Qaeda topple Libya, why would anyone still believe in defending their country when the leader of our military isn't really on our side?

The answer according to the people in my family, which includes my nephew who's about to go back to Afghanistan for like the seventh time and my cousin who's back in the US but still working for the military is they still do believe in defending our country. It was never on behalf of Obama in the first place

He has a great one . It's called "don't get our troops killed " .

Why do righties always want to go to war ?

He has a great one . It's called "don't get our troops killed " .

Why do righties always want to go to war ?

:lmao:

He has a funny way of showing that with all the troops he got killed on what he claims were lies in Iraq and Afghanistan.

And seriously, dumb ass, I oppose Iraq regardless of WMDs (not our job), the Afghanistan invasion (I do support attacking them and destroying the Taliban for attacking us) and the other Middle East wars and I want all our troops out of the Middle East entirely.

And you say you're less military than that? Fuck you, you lying bag of shit. You just want Democrats to call the shots. You're full of shit

No matter how many darn years you go to college, when you get a job, the first thing they will do is train you to do what they want,,, and how it is to be done...which will make college seem like a waste...

So long as you can read and write at that level.

What evidence?

The low quality product the public system and universities are producing. Never before have so many CEOs complained that they have trouble finding employees because the two most recent generations can't do a goddam thing of any worth to them without remedial education.

Fuck CEOs.

OMG, that is so partisan

Only to your cohort.

I forgot, Democrats can't be partisan, only Republicans. You did tell me that, I forgot

Depends, you tell me. It sounds to me like you feel that if only one party could prevail, all would be well, or at least demonstrably better.
And I do not.

Oh you are a young adult! That's what's wrong with you. Take your kind and enlightened self and find a safe space.

Well, people get MORE progressive as they age, so our generation's ideals and fight for equality are not going away any time soon.

Busting Myth, People Turn More Liberal With Age

Interesting. I don't know a single retiree who wants Hillary to rush in and take their money to pay for her illegal invaders, just for starters.

Oh you are a young adult! That's what's wrong with you. Take your kind and enlightened self and find a safe space.

Well, people get MORE progressive as they age, so our generation's ideals and fight for equality are not going away any time soon.

Interesting. I don't know a single retiree who wants Hillary to rush in and take their money to pay for her illegal invaders, just for starters.

But they want to build a wall

That's because they were brainwashed by the right wing dominated school system when the grew up in the 1960's and 1970's, where the only source of news was right wing dominated newspapers.

With the rise of the internet, alternative news sources such as Salon and Counterpunch, and the fact that this country is growing less and less white dominated, the conservatism of the older generations will die out within a decade or two.

The low quality product the public system and universities are producing. Never before have so many CEOs complained that they have trouble finding employees because the two most recent generations can't do a goddam thing of any worth to them without remedial education.

Fuck CEOs.

OMG, that is so partisan

Only to your cohort.

I forgot, Democrats can't be partisan, only Republicans. You did tell me that, I forgot

Depends, you tell me. It sounds to me like you feel that if only one party could prevail, all would be well, or at least demonstrably better.
And I do not.

Well, I disagree. The Libertarian party may not be perfect, but it would be "at least demonstrably better" than one of the two loser parties that will win.

What's partisan is your view that Republicans and Democrats can be the same, yet Democrats will be better. Why would Tweedledum be better than Tweedledee, explain

That's because they were brainwashed by the right wing dominated school system when the grew up in the 1960's and 1970's, where the only source of news was right wing dominated newspapers.

With the rise of the internet, alternative news sources such as Salon and Counterpunch, and the fact that this country is growing less and less white dominated, the conservatism of the older generations will die out within a decade or two.

I like someone with a communist avatar talking about other people being "brainwashed." I was going to say that's stupid, but I'm told by Democrat posters I need to be nicer. Let's go with it's ironic. That's not as bad, right?

Fuck CEOs.

OMG, that is so partisan

Only to your cohort.

And I do not.

Well, I disagree. The Libertarian party may not be perfect, but it would be "at least demonstrably better" than one of the two loser parties that will win.

What's partisan is your view that Republicans and Democrats can be the same, yet Democrats will be better. Why would Tweedledum be better than Tweedledee, explain

Donald Trump is a fascist who wants to persecute people based on the color of their skin or their religion.

Hillary is a rich, stuck up snob, but at least she doesn't advocate for genocide.

Forum List

Back