The Violence Against Women Act Just Expired

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
The landmark legislation, which protects domestic violence and sexual assault survivors, expired on Friday amid the government shutdown.

The Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) officially expired at midnight last Friday due to the partial government shutdown that is now in its sixth day.

“Don’t let this go unnoticed: the Violence Against Women Act, which helps survivors of domestic abuse and sexual assault, expired with the government shutdown,” Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.) tweeted on Sunday, adding, “It’s deeply concerning.”

Actor and Me Too activist Alyssa Milano added her disappointment, tweeting: “What kind of country allows its Violence Against Women Act to expire?”

The landmark legislation, which protects domestic violence and sexual assault survivors, was set to expire on Sept. 30 and later on Dec. 7, but was given short-term extensions each time. Prior to the shutdown, both the House and Senate passed budget agreements that would cover the costs of VAWA programs through Feb. 8, 2019.

More: The Violence Against Women Act Just Expired

Sad. It's also sad that we still need special laws to protect women. What do you think?

I think violence against women is still illegal. Why do we need special laws to protect people against something thats already illegal? Violence against men is illegal too do we need a special to protect men too? I think more men are killed violently than women so maybe so maybe we should be a protected class or maybe we should just inforce the laws that are already on the books.

The landmark legislation, which protects domestic violence and sexual assault survivors, expired on Friday amid the government shutdown.

The Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) officially expired at midnight last Friday due to the partial government shutdown that is now in its sixth day.

“Don’t let this go unnoticed: the Violence Against Women Act, which helps survivors of domestic abuse and sexual assault, expired with the government shutdown,” Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.) tweeted on Sunday, adding, “It’s deeply concerning.”

Actor and Me Too activist Alyssa Milano added her disappointment, tweeting: “What kind of country allows its Violence Against Women Act to expire?”

The landmark legislation, which protects domestic violence and sexual assault survivors, was set to expire on Sept. 30 and later on Dec. 7, but was given short-term extensions each time. Prior to the shutdown, both the House and Senate passed budget agreements that would cover the costs of VAWA programs through Feb. 8, 2019.

Sad. It's also sad that we still need special laws to protect women. What do you think?

Duh, the States have laws that address that, it's not a federal function. I hope it never comes back.

So we can have violence against women ?

How is that possible when we are a Christian nation and go by God's laws??

That piece of shit, feel-good legislation that did COCK-SUCKING SHIT to protect women needed to die.

You're a Goddamn idiot if you think that act did one bit of good.

I'm almost 50 and I can't remember a time in all those years that violence against women or sexual assault was legal. Typical liberal bullshit redundant legislation that creates special classes and rights.

Lakhota is already planning how to attack women now that violence against women is completely fine and normal.

Klamato Hairus needs her nasty lying nose busted.

Just in time for the cult to force them to undress with deranged males in their locker rooms.

Timing couldn’t be better. Sorry girls but you know how progress doesn’t turn its head back to look at its wake.

Women are equal to men...we need special laws for them!

i have no need to be violent towards women, as long as my right to ignore them is protected

I am curious....was it legal to be violent against women before this act was created? Were there no laws in place to keep women safe? Now that it has expired, can you beat your wife or girlfriend and not face consequences?

Really?

26903718_1669840689740925_8868053825924283315_n.jpg

Gawd almighty, that has to be the most repetitive blab, ever.

What country realizes that women are particularly vulnerable, and legislates protections against violence that are set to expire at some later date? Did they somehow convince themselves that these vulnerabilities are somehow going to go away at some time, obviating the need for protection?

Oh, and whoever is so much as prepared to feign surprise at a Goober Congress less than eager to extend these protections, please raise your right hoof!

If your against violence against women you should be a big supporter of the 2nd Amendment.

Forum List

Back