The Warmergate Scandal

Nothing theoretical about 250Gs of e-mails and documents, little sister.
True enough...but I personally haven't seen anything in them that leads me to believe these eggheads were involved in a hoax...let alone that the majority of scientists were.

That's the conspiracy...thinking what was in those emails disproves global warming.

Indeed. The admission these were 'true' should make it a front page story. That it's not, Ravi should be praising the MSM.
Maybe the MSM isn't as gullible as you are...though I have read articles on CNN and Reuters and many other "main" stream sites about this.

True enough...but I personally haven't seen anything in them that leads me to believe these eggheads were involved in a hoax...let alone that the majority of scientists were.

That's the conspiracy...thinking what was in those emails disproves global warming.
That's only because you haven't looked and are relying upon others to do your research and thinking for you.

Nothing new under the sun there.

No, you are now officially conspiracy theorists.

Is exposing someone elses lies conspiracy?

Well at the very least, those e-mails show how "scientists" sluff their results to come to a conclusion that benefits their agendas.

You cant simply wax out entire decades of information, to bolster a result that is nothing short of fraudulent. For the die hard GWer, where obviously you put yourself, this is more evidence that shows just how much fraud there is in the scientific community. Just because someone has the label "scientist" doesnt make them immune to fluffing numbers. They are still human beings with their own biases.

Last edited:

That's only because you haven't looked and are relying upon others to do your research and thinking for you.

One of the e-mails...

To: Phil Jones [...]
Subject: 1940s
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2009 23:25:38 -0600
Cc: Ben Santer [...]
Phil,
Here are some speculations on correcting SSTs to partly explain the 1940s warming blip. If you look at the attached plot you will see that theland also shows the 1940s blip (as I’m sure you know).
So, if we could reduce the ocean blip by, say, 0.15 degC, then this would be significant for the global mean – but we’d still have to explain the land blip. I’ve chosen 0.15 here deliberately. This still leaves an ocean blip, and i think one needs to have some form of ocean blip to explain the land blip (via either some common forcing, or ocean forcing land, or vice versa, or all of these). When you look at other blips, the land blips are 1.5 to 2 times (roughly) the ocean blips—higher sensitivity plus thermal inertia effects. My 0.15 adjustment leaves things consistent with this, so you can see where I am coming from.
Removing ENSO does not affect this.
It would be good to remove at least part of the 1940s blip, but we are still left with “why the blip”.
Let me go further. If you look at NH vs SH and the aerosol effect (qualitatively or with MAGICC) then with a reduced ocean blip we get continuous warming in the SH, and a cooling in the NH—just as one would expect with mainly NH aerosols.
The other interesting thing is (as Foukal et al. note – from MAGICC) that the 1910-40 warming cannot be solar. The Sun can get at most 10% of this with Wang et al solar, less with Foukal solar. So this may well be NADW, as Sarah and I noted in 1987 (and also Schlesinger later). A reduced SST blip in the 1940s makes the 1910-40 warming larger than the SH (which it currently is not)—but not really enough.
So … why was the SH so cold around 1910? Another SST problem? (SH/NH data also attached.)
This stuff is in a report I am writing for EPRI, so I’d appreciate any comments you (and Ben) might have.
Tom.

Are you really saying this after reading? Maybe before reading?

Have fun with your ad homs...I'll enjoy laughing at your partisanship.

Are you really saying this after reading? Maybe before reading?

Nah, she's just another denier.

Just follow the money!

EU Environment Commissioner Margot Wallstroem says Kyoto "is not a simple environmental issue, where you can say scientists are not unanimous. This is about international relations, this is about the economy, about trying to create a level playing field for big businesses throughout the world. You have to understand what is at stake and that is why it is serious," she declaimed. And French President Jacques Chirac has termed the Kyoto Protocol "the first component of authentic global governance."

Prophets, False Prophets and Profiteers

Have fun with your ad homs...I'll enjoy laughing at your partisanship.
Ad hom nothing. Anyone who doesn't see something terribly amiss here either isn't looking or is in denial.

But if exaggerating numbers, destroying conflicting evidence and attempting to blackball other people and publications who don't toe your line isn't a big deal, that tells everyone else more about your partisanship than anything else.

The scientific community is buzzing over thousands of emails and documents -- posted on the Internet last week after being hacked from a prominent climate-change research center -- that some say raise ethical questions about a group of scientists who contend humans are responsible for global warming.

The correspondence between dozens of climate-change researchers, including many in the U.S., illustrates bitter feelings among those who believe human activities cause global warming toward rivals who argue that the link between humans and climate change remains uncertain.

Some emails also refer to efforts by scientists who believe man is causing global warming to exclude contrary views from important scientific publications.

"This is horrible," said Pat Michaels, a climate scientist at the Cato Institute in Washington who is mentioned negatively in the emails. "This is what everyone feared. Over the years, it has become increasingly difficult for anyone who does not view global warming as an end-of-the-world issue to publish papers. This isn't questionable practice, this is unethical." ...

Most climate scientists today argue that the earth's temperature is rising, and nearly all of those agree that human activity is likely to be a prime or at least significant cause. But a vocal minority dispute one or both of those views. ...

In the emails, which date to 1996, researchers in the U.S. and the U.K. repeatedly take issue with climate research at odds with their own findings. In some cases, they discuss ways to rebut what they call "disinformation" using new articles in scientific journals or popular Web sites.

The emails include discussions of apparent efforts to make sure that reports from the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, a United Nations group that monitors climate science, include their own views and exclude others. In addition, emails show that climate scientists declined to make their data available to scientists whose views they disagreed with. ...

In one email, Benjamin Santer from the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in Livermore, Calif., wrote to the director of the climate-study center that he was "tempted to beat" up Mr. Michaels. Mr. Santer couldn't be reached for comment Sunday. ...

Climate Emails Stoke Debate - WSJ.com

Thanks for the link Toro.

Suddenly, it's quiet here...

These emails perfectly fits assumed narrative of many. It's been in the air for quite some time that social science along with other sciences has experimental conclusion often written concurrently with the grant check. Agenda science was everywhere and pretty easy to "hokey up" when the science was squishy. Just ask Al Gore did he benefit from it. Climate science is almost as squishy, and there is probably more agenda in the subject than any other area of study. The stakes are beyond ordinary understanding and to think is was a game played on the up and up is to disregard all of history. There are always cheaters when there's money in the game.

I wonder if these news will be driven by nothing besides the alternative media? I doubt it. Left have such a stranglehold and will ignore the matter for as long they need to push their cap & trade agenda, or will just drive the attention to something else. But it's a start.

I am surprised that nobody replied with: But Bush... :)

In the other news... this is hilarious!

In a dramatic shift, the Chamber of Commerce announced Monday that it is throwing its support behind climate change legislation making its way through the U.S. Senate.

CNBC, Reuters fall for climate hoax

Oops,,, it didn't happen. Check out the link and videos at the link. When you want to drink the cool aid, it is so easy. :)

The New York Times is refusing to publish the emails...

___

NYTimes: We Won't Publish "Statements that Were Never Intended for the Public Eye."
With the release of hundreds of emails by scientists advocates of global warming showing obvious and entirely inappropriate collusion by the authors -- including attempts to suppress dissent, to punish journals that publish peer-reviewed studies casting doubt on global warming, and to manipulate data to bolster their own arguments -- even the New York Times is forced to concede that "the documents will undoubtedly raise questions about the quality of research on some specific questions and the actions of some scientists." But apparently the paper's environmental blog, Dot Earth, is taking a pass on publishing any of the documents and emails that are now circulating. Andrew Revkin, the author of that blog, writes,

The documents appear to have been acquired illegally and contain all manner of private information and statements that were never intended for the public eye, so they won’t be posted here.

This is the position of the New York Times when given the chance to publish sensitive information that might hinder the liberal agenda. Of course, when the choice is between publishing classified information that might endanger the lives of U.S. troops in the field or intelligence programs vital to national security, that information is published without hesitation by the nation's paper of record. But in this case -- the documents were "never intended for the public eye," so the New York Times will take a pass. I guess that policy wasn't in place when Neil Sheehan was working at the paper.

As a journalist, there is no greater glory than publishing materials that were not meant to be published. If I could, I would only publish emails and documents that were never meant to see the light of day -- though, unlike the New York Times, I draw the line at jeopardizing the lives of American troops rather than jeopardizing the contrived "consensus" on global warming.

The Weekly Standard

I believe the zip file is readily available from many sources...

Hard to slow information once it's been released on Algore's interwebs... (lol - how ironic, huh?)

The documents appear to have been acquired illegally and contain all manner of private information and statements that were never intended for the public eye, so they won’t be posted here.
Didn't stop them when they published the Pentagon Papers.

How dare you accuse the NYT of cherry-picking principles!!!!

Inconceivable!!!!

Hard to slow information once it's been released on Algore's interwebs... (lol - how ironic, huh?)

Ah, but the arrogance of the NYT, even though the WSJ far surpasses it in weekly readership, is that nothing exists until the Times says it exists...

They're unzipped and ready for perusal HERE

This thread has almost as many views as a Palin thread! :eusa_angel:

(That's actually pretty sad as this developing story is much bigger and more important than Sarah Palin...)

Forum List

Back