There are Good and Bad Everywhere

How many years did YOU live there? What gives you more insight than everyone else in the world? How is it that YOU know any better than the people writing those articles I posted?

Don't be rude. Answer my question before asking one of your own.

How about this. I've never been to Japan.

So, how long did YOU live there? ;)

Using 'I'm an MMA fan' as an argument for Japanese xenophobia is obviously ridiculous. On the other hand, he is at least pointing to SOMETHING on which his opinion is based.
Did I say that since in an MMA fan, Japanese people are therefore xenophobic? That would be an absurd statement. Of course I never said that. What I said was.. Being a fan of MMA has led me to articles and interviews with fighters who talk about xenophobia in Japan. What the fuck man? Why am I wrong for simply talking about other peoples testimonies? Do these experiences count for nothing? Is the problem that they are fighters, therefore they are assumed to be lying? What's your beef?

Last edited:
How about your personal experiences during all the years you lived there? Tell us about that. What has traumatized you so?

How many years did YOU live there? What gives you more insight than everyone else in the world? How is it that YOU know any better than the people writing those articles I posted?

No, I've never been to Japan. Have YOU?

Last edited:

So, how long did YOU live there?

About three years, and we go back for a couple of weeks every few years or so. In addition, I've worked with thousands of Japanese here in the US. Many of our close family friends are Japanese. None of that gives me any reason to believe I know how every Japanese person on earth thinks, of course, but I have enough direct, personal experience to call bullshit on sweeping generalizations from some asshole on the internet who has zero experience beyond Google.

So, how long did YOU live there? ;)

Using 'I'm an MMA fan' as an argument for Japanese xenophobia is obviously ridiculous. On the other hand, he is at least pointing to SOMETHING on which his opinion is based.
Did I say that since in an MMA fan, Japanese people are therefore xenophobic? That would be an absurd statement. Of course I never said that. What I said was.. Being a fan of MMA has led me to articles and interviews with fighters who talk about xenophobia in Japan. What the fuck man? Why am I wrong for simply talking about other peoples testimonies? Do these experiences count for nothing? Is the problem that they are fighters, therefore they are assumed to be lying? What's your beef?

No, you didn't say being an MMA fan means Japanese are xenophobic. On the other hand, you are using accounts from an extremely small portion of the population (both the Japanese and visitors to the country) who likely have a very different culture from the average person. I wouldn't use the Richie Incognito situation as evidence of the mindset of most Americans. ;)

Also, I'm an MMA fan as well. I've been watching UFC for years, I watched the WEC before it was bought out, I watched a little Strikeforce as well. I never did watch Pride, though.

It was really your presentation that was poor.
Being a fan of MMA, I know a lot of the history of fighting in Japan. Ive heard countless stories about Japanese fans wanting the Japanese fighter to win.
The first sentence makes it sound like all MMA fans know a lot of the history of fighting in Japan. The second makes it seem that fans in other countries don't cheer based on nationality. Both of those things are, so far as I can tell, incorrect.

Like I said, you are basing your argument on something, but I think the experiences in the MMA community are far too limited a sample to use if making judgements about an entire country.

The Japanese may well tend to be xenophobic. It's certainly a stereotype I've heard before.

I suppose ALL the articles I linked are meaningless too? Why do you suppose Japan has this reputation? Come on, don't act like "xenophobia in Japan" is a baseless claim.

I suppose ALL the articles I linked are meaningless too? Why do you suppose Japan has this reputation? Come on, don't act like "xenophobia in Japan" is a baseless claim.

People seem to fall for all sorts of (usually untrue) generalities about Japan. I suppose it's because it has a unique culture, is sufficiently 'exotic,' and yet widely (though inaccurately) known around the world that a certain type will so readily believe anything they hear - the stranger the better.

The "claim" only has a base in as much as it is true of any country.

Forum List

Back