🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

There can no longer be any doubt.

Not really a surprise as Rome is considered the Holy city to Catholics.

• Banned
Nothing holy about Rome. The only holy city is Jerusalem. You know, the city that Jesus will rule from during His millennial reign on Earth.

Look, the point being is Rome is the Holy City to Catholics. Jerusalem is to Christians and Jews.
Nothing holy about Rome. The only holy city is Jerusalem. You know, the city that Jesus will rule from during His millennial reign on Earth.

Look, the point being is Rome is the Holy City to Catholics. Jerusalem is to Christians and Jews.

Look, the point being this is a Catholic posting and I've never heard of this. Your posting it on a message board doesn't magically make it into a real thing. K?

I grew up Catholic and this is the first I've heard of a "holy city".
Weird concept.
I have always heard that from my Catholic friends. And-

Rome is the holy city to western Christianity because it became the seat of the Pope. Even Protestants tend to defer to Rome as a holy city. However, Constantinople was regarded as the holy city of the Greek Orthodox Church because this was the seat of the Patriarch. In a similar style, the Greek Orthodox Patriarch of Jerusalem is known as the Patriarch of the Holy City of Jerusalem, and indeed many Christians would regard Jerusalem as the holiest city in Christendom.

The Catholic Church asserts that the apostle Peter went to Rome, where he led the church as Rome's first bishop, appointing his successor there, but this claim is far from certain. Even at the end of the first century, the author of 1 Clement appears unaware that St. Peter ever came to Rome. Written from Rome, 1 Clement mentions Peter's 'many labours' and makes a general comment about Peter's death, without mentioning Rome: "There was Peter who by reason of unrighteous jealousy endured not one not one but many labours, and thus having borne his testimony went to his appointed place of glory." Rex Wyler, in The Jesus Sayings, page 252, says the legend that Peter visited Rome appears in the non-canonical Acts of Peter, composed in about 185 CE.

Even in the absence of St. Peter in Rome, the city became the holy city of the Catholic Church because it was the centre of the Roman Empire, and thus the most powerful city on Earth. During the early years, the eastern Church had divided loyalties, between Constantinople, Jerusalem and Alexandria, whereas the entire Church in western Europe had Rome alone as its major centre, in turn giving the bishop of Rome considerable power and influence - in addition to the claim of Petrine succession. Nevertheless, Rome will never replace Jerusalem as the most holy city in Christendom.

Why is Rome the holy city?

The significance of Rome lies primarily in the fact that it is the city of the pope. The Bishop of Rome, as the successor of St. Peter, is the Vicar of Christ on earth and the visible head of the Catholic Church. Rome is consequently the centre of unity in belief, the source of ecclesiastical jurisdiction and the seat of the supreme authority which can bind by its enactments the faithful throughout the world. The Diocese of Rome is known as the "See of Peter", the "Apostolic See" , the "Holy Roman Church " the "Holy See" -- titles which indicate its unique position in Christendom and suggest the origin of its preeminence.
Rome - Encyclopedia Volume - Catholic Encyclopedia - Catholic Online

Last edited:

Weird concept.

Rome is the holy city to western Christianity because it became the seat of the Pope. Even Protestants tend to defer to Rome as a holy city. However, Constantinople was regarded as the holy city of the Greek Orthodox Church because this was the seat of the Patriarch. In a similar style, the Greek Orthodox Patriarch of Jerusalem is known as the Patriarch of the Holy City of Jerusalem, and indeed many Christians would regard Jerusalem as the holiest city in Christendom.

The Catholic Church asserts that the apostle Peter went to Rome, where he led the church as Rome's first bishop, appointing his successor there, but this claim is far from certain. Even at the end of the first century, the author of 1 Clement appears unaware that St. Peter ever came to Rome. Written from Rome, 1 Clement mentions Peter's 'many labours' and makes a general comment about Peter's death, without mentioning Rome: "There was Peter who by reason of unrighteous jealousy endured not one not one but many labours, and thus having borne his testimony went to his appointed place of glory." Rex Wyler, in The Jesus Sayings, page 252, says the legend that Peter visited Rome appears in the non-canonical Acts of Peter, composed in about 185 CE.

Even in the absence of St. Peter in Rome, the city became the holy city of the Catholic Church because it was the centre of the Roman Empire, and thus the most powerful city on Earth. During the early years, the eastern Church had divided loyalties, between Constantinople, Jerusalem and Alexandria, whereas the entire Church in western Europe had Rome alone as its major centre, in turn giving the bishop of Rome considerable power and influence - in addition to the claim of Petrine succession. Nevertheless, Rome will never replace Jerusalem as the most holy city in Christendom.

The Bible mentions a city on seven hills. There is only one city that matches this description. It is also the Whore of Babylon. Couldn't be any clearer than that.

There is only one Holy City mentioned in Scripture. And it's not Rome.

Weird concept.

The significance of Rome lies primarily in the fact that it is the city of the pope. The Bishop of Rome, as the successor of St. Peter, is the Vicar of Christ on earth and the visible head of the Catholic Church. Rome is consequently the centre of unity in belief, the source of ecclesiastical jurisdiction and the seat of the supreme authority which can bind by its enactments the faithful throughout the world. The Diocese of Rome is known as the "See of Peter", the "Apostolic See" , the "Holy Roman Church " the "Holy See" -- titles which indicate its unique position in Christendom and suggest the origin of its preeminence.
Rome - Encyclopedia Volume - Catholic Encyclopedia - Catholic Online

Pffft.

Once AGAIN I'm telling you Catholicism has no "holy city". Nobody worships a city.

Just yesterday though was the anniversary of the "Cesena Bloodbath" waged by the papal forces against Italian city-states. Those forces, and the papacy, were based in Avignon at the time, which somehow didn't show up in your post.

And btw "Catholic Online" is a notorious fake news site.

Of the 7 candlesticks (churches) that follow Christ into the Temple, the Church of Rome doesn't even get honorable mention.

Yep. You caught us. The Pope is really just part of the DEEP STATE which is a subsidiary of the Illuminati. Eventually, you will find that Santa Clause, The Easter Bunny, Roger Rabbit, and the Stay Puff Marshmallow Man from Ghost Busters are also involved.

Why should the Pope, or any monotheistic leader, disparage another monotheistic faith-based belief system? If one believes there is only one god, the god of all monotheistic systems must be the same god. Is it simply not possible in your mind that that god uttered different words to the humans with whom S/He chose to chat about "whatever?"

Forum List

Back