There is No Future Battle of Armageddon:

has there been a battle on the plains of Megiddo where the blood runs deep.....up to the bridles of the horses?
Yes

Nope
Lemme guess: you're one of those who thinks that when Jesus said to the disciples, "For these are days of vengeance, to fulfill all that is written," he really meant that some things would be fulfilled.

Notice how often they are WRONG and RUDE.
They're steeped in tradition.

Yep.. You'd think they would stop and read scripture .I always learn something from you. Thanks.

has there been a battle on the plains of Megiddo where the blood runs deep.....up to the bridles of the horses?
Yes

Nope
Lemme guess: you're one of those who thinks that when Jesus said to the disciples, "For these are days of vengeance, to fulfill all that is written," he really meant that some things would be fulfilled.

Yep.. You'd think they would stop and read scripture .I always learn something from you. Thanks.
They pluck the language of the Apocalypse out of the Bible and insert it in their own culture.

John’s description of an army alighting on the temple, for example, is reminiscent of the literary style of earlier Jewish writers (Rv 9:2-5). The prophet Jeremiah compared warhorses to bristling locusts (51:27). The prophet Joel lamented a siege on his land by a foreign army with lions’ teeth (1:6), a great and powerful people with the appearance of horses (2:2, 4), the metaphor for which are large swarms of devouring locusts. Job compared a horse’s ability to leap with the agility of a locust (39:19-20). The language of Revelation is very much the language of earlier sacred texts. The language by no means alludes to any future generation.

It's like modern Christians think that the New Testament writers were more like them than their forebears, as if the primitive Christians were not struggling to first shed their former way of life before fully embracing their new one. Modern Christians do not have such a struggle; they do not have to first forsake Moses before embracing Christ. Their culture is completely different.

Yes

Nope

They pluck the language of the Apocalypse out of the Bible and insert it in their own culture.

John’s description of an army alighting on the temple, for example, is reminiscent of the literary style of earlier Jewish writers (Rv 9:2-5). The prophet Jeremiah compared warhorses to bristling locusts (51:27).

The prophet Joel lamented a siege on his land by a foreign army with lions’ teeth (1:6), a great and powerful people with the appearance of horses (2:2, 4), the metaphor for which are large swarms of devouring locusts. Job compared a horse’s ability to leap with the agility of a locust (39:19-20). The language of Revelation is very much the language of earlier sacred texts. The language by no means alludes to any future generation.

It's like modern Christians think that the New Testament writers were more like them than their forebears, as if the primitive Christians were not struggling to first shed their former way of life before fully embracing their new one.

Modern Christians do not have such a struggle; they do not have to first forsake Moses before embracing Christ. Their culture is completely different.

When I think of the locust metaphor, I think of the Scythians with bows on horseback.. They were fast, silent and deadly.

Yes

Nope

John’s description of an army alighting on the temple, for example, is reminiscent of the literary style of earlier Jewish writers (Rv 9:2-5). The prophet Jeremiah compared warhorses to bristling locusts (51:27).

The prophet Joel lamented a siege on his land by a foreign army with lions’ teeth (1:6), a great and powerful people with the appearance of horses (2:2, 4), the metaphor for which are large swarms of devouring locusts. Job compared a horse’s ability to leap with the agility of a locust (39:19-20). The language of Revelation is very much the language of earlier sacred texts. The language by no means alludes to any future generation.

It's like modern Christians think that the New Testament writers were more like them than their forebears, as if the primitive Christians were not struggling to first shed their former way of life before fully embracing their new one.

Modern Christians do not have such a struggle; they do not have to first forsake Moses before embracing Christ. Their culture is completely different.

When I think of the locust metaphor, I think of the Scythians with bows on horseback.. They were fast, silent and deadly.
That's exactly the imagery in Revelation of the siege on the temple.

Meanwhile, dispensationalists are waiting for actual giant scorpions to rise from an actual abyss and torment people for five months when that five-month siege already occurred after Rome breached the wall and besieged the city from within.

Yes

Nope

Meanwhile, dispensationalists are waiting for actual giant scorpions to rise from an actual abyss and torment people for five months when that five-month siege already occurred after Rome breached the wall and besieged the city from within.

JustAGuy1

Hahaha.. I know.. You have to admit that's pretty funny. Wonder what happened to our friend?

Yes

Nope

JustAGuy1

Hahaha.. I know.. You have to admit that's pretty funny. Wonder what happened to our friend?

LOL, some folks work for a living ;)

I am happy with my living Lord, I am content with you having your interpretations.

Yes

Nope

JustAGuy1

LOL, some folks work for a living ;)

I am happy with my living Lord, I am content with you having your interpretations.

The people of the first century understood the symbolism perfectly .. We have more trouble because we refuse to study in historical context and cave in to futurists and charlatans.

Did that get your attention?

Revelation 16:16, "And they gathered them together to the place called in Hebrew, Armageddon."

Movies are made about it. Theologies are built around it. Book series are written about it. Fear is cultivated because of it.

1. BUT DID YOU KNOW THAT THERE IS NO SUCH PLACE IN ISRAEL CALLED ARMAGEDDON?
It doesn't exist, nor will it exist in the future. The word is made up of two parts... Ar (har) which means "mountain" and Megiddo which is in the valley of Jezreel. There is no mountain there. (There is a small "tell" which is just where cities have built and rebuilt on top of each other but no mountain).

So what is this passage about? Revelation is to be interpreted according to the first verse of the book... "the Revelation (apocalypse-unveiling) of Jesus Christ, which God gave Him to show His servants—things which must SHORTLY take place. And He sent and SIGNIFIED it by His angel to His servant John."

Apocalyptic language through signs. ie, there are nearly 400 references to the Hebrew scriptures that sign point to a previous event so we can understand that the destruction of Jerusalem will take place in such a manner. Apocalyptic is written in cataclysmic, cosmic, grandiose, language to paint a strong heart picture.

Megiddo is the place in history where wars and the blood-shed of kings took place. (2 Kings 9:27; 2 Kings 23:29, and historically)

So Armageddon in Revelation is not about a great end time battle in our future. It was a sign to describe in apocalyptic language the destruction of Jerusalem in 70AD. In other words, just as there were slaughters in the valley in the past (sign pointing-Revelation 1:1), now in John's day, Jerusalem, which sits on a mountain (Mt Zion-2500 ft elevation), will experience slaughter.

Zechariah prophesied it as well using the same idea about Jerusalem: "On that day the weeping in JERUSALEM will be as great as the weeping of Hadad Rimmon in the plain of MEGIDDO." (12:11) It was used by John as a figure of speech to say Jerusalem would experience death and war just as in Megiddo in the past.

It is true the world goes through many upheavals and transitions, but Is. 9 says, "of the increase of his government and peace there will be no end." We have a hope filled future that the "KNOWLEDGE of the glory of the Lord will cover the earth as the waters cover the sea!"

2. ACCORDING TO THE FUTURISTS JESUS WILL COME LIKE A THIEF IN THE NIGHT IN A SECRET RAPTURE. THEY TEACH THIS COULD HAPPEN AT ANY TIME AND AFTERWARDS IS THE TRIBULATION AND ARMAGEDDON.
They say that because he comes as a thief in the night there will be no signs preceding this rapture coming of the Lord.

continued
John of Patmos was describing events present tense in his era around 70ad events match description.
Even saying the anti christ "existed already".
In Revelation, he was describing the area of the Vatican and Rome's riches including expensive dye colors they wore.
Sources: that the end is near "in their era":
I Cor. 10:11 , Heb. 1:2 , I Peter 1:20, I Peter 4:7 , I John 2:18 etc.
The apostles understood that THEY were living in the "end-times."
So obviously we can not be in them today!

Luke 21:24 & Romans 11:25 and history of that era show that
Revelation 11:1-3 occurred already
in aprox 70 ad.

The Judaic great battle can be found described in the dead sea scrolls as the battle of light (truth & knowledge) vs darkness (ignorance folly and lies), anyone with eyes can see that battle through ages but hitting it's peek now in the
"age of information" where we go to and fro gathering that knowledge and Truth.-Dan 10:21, Dan 12:1-4

Did that get your attention?

Revelation 16:16, "And they gathered them together to the place called in Hebrew, Armageddon."

Movies are made about it. Theologies are built around it. Book series are written about it. Fear is cultivated because of it.

1. BUT DID YOU KNOW THAT THERE IS NO SUCH PLACE IN ISRAEL CALLED ARMAGEDDON?
It doesn't exist, nor will it exist in the future. The word is made up of two parts... Ar (har) which means "mountain" and Megiddo which is in the valley of Jezreel. There is no mountain there. (There is a small "tell" which is just where cities have built and rebuilt on top of each other but no mountain).

So what is this passage about? Revelation is to be interpreted according to the first verse of the book... "the Revelation (apocalypse-unveiling) of Jesus Christ, which God gave Him to show His servants—things which must SHORTLY take place. And He sent and SIGNIFIED it by His angel to His servant John."

Apocalyptic language through signs. ie, there are nearly 400 references to the Hebrew scriptures that sign point to a previous event so we can understand that the destruction of Jerusalem will take place in such a manner. Apocalyptic is written in cataclysmic, cosmic, grandiose, language to paint a strong heart picture.

Megiddo is the place in history where wars and the blood-shed of kings took place. (2 Kings 9:27; 2 Kings 23:29, and historically)

So Armageddon in Revelation is not about a great end time battle in our future. It was a sign to describe in apocalyptic language the destruction of Jerusalem in 70AD. In other words, just as there were slaughters in the valley in the past (sign pointing-Revelation 1:1), now in John's day, Jerusalem, which sits on a mountain (Mt Zion-2500 ft elevation), will experience slaughter.

Zechariah prophesied it as well using the same idea about Jerusalem: "On that day the weeping in JERUSALEM will be as great as the weeping of Hadad Rimmon in the plain of MEGIDDO." (12:11) It was used by John as a figure of speech to say Jerusalem would experience death and war just as in Megiddo in the past.

It is true the world goes through many upheavals and transitions, but Is. 9 says, "of the increase of his government and peace there will be no end." We have a hope filled future that the "KNOWLEDGE of the glory of the Lord will cover the earth as the waters cover the sea!"

2. ACCORDING TO THE FUTURISTS JESUS WILL COME LIKE A THIEF IN THE NIGHT IN A SECRET RAPTURE. THEY TEACH THIS COULD HAPPEN AT ANY TIME AND AFTERWARDS IS THE TRIBULATION AND ARMAGEDDON.
They say that because he comes as a thief in the night there will be no signs preceding this rapture coming of the Lord.

continued
John of Patmos was describing events present tense in his era around 70ad events match description.
Even saying the anti christ "existed already".
In Revelation, he was describing the area of the Vatican and Rome's riches including expensive dye colors they wore.
Sources: that the end is near "in their era":
I Cor. 10:11 , Heb. 1:2 , I Peter 1:20, I Peter 4:7 , I John 2:18 etc.
The apostles understood that THEY were living in the "end-times."
So obviously we can not be in them today!

Luke 21:24 & Romans 11:25 and history of that era show that
Revelation 11:1-3 occurred already
in aprox 70 ad.

The Judaic great battle can be found described in the dead sea scrolls as the battle of light (truth & knowledge) vs darkness (ignorance folly and lies), anyone with eyes can see that battle through ages but hitting it's peek now in the
"age of information" where we go to and fro gathering that knowledge and Truth.-Dan 10:21, Dan 12:1-4

I think its Rev 1:9 where John writes that he is their brother in tribulation.

Trump moved our embassy to Jerusalem to satisfy a crucial element of his base, and it isn’t Jewish voters. White evangelicals, the voting bloc consisting of roughly 20% of the national electorate and about 80% of the GOP’s remaining organizational leadership, cheered this step.
Exactly.

And as correctly noted: this act was reckless and irresponsible, in no manner benefitting the United States and destroying any chance for peace in the ME.

This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but a whimper.

The false assumption made by surada is that all believers in future events from the Book of Revelation do not believe that any of the revelation applies to the time shortly after the prophesy of John. That is a false assumption. Many believe that the revelation of John was for the time just after John received the revelation all the way up to events that will still happen in the future.

An event prophesied by Christ that has never occurred yet is the following:

Matthew 24:30

30 And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.

I am sure that all the tribes of the earth has the meaning of everyone on earth. All those who are on the earth at the time of his coming will see him coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory. This same event is described in the book of Revelation:

Revelation 19:11-21
11 And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

12 His eyes were as a flame of fire, and on his head were many crowns; and he had a name written, that no man knew, but he himself.

13 And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God.

14 And the armies which were in heaven followed him upon white horses, clothed in fine linen, white and clean.

15 And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God.

16 And he hath on his vesture and on his thigh a name written, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS.

17 And I saw an angel standing in the sun; and he cried with a loud voice, saying to all the fowls that fly in the midst of heaven, Come and gather yourselves together unto the supper of the great God;

18 That ye may eat the flesh of kings, and the flesh of captains, and the flesh of mighty men, and the flesh of horses, and of them that sit on them, and the flesh of all men, both free and bond, both small and great.

19 And I saw the beast, and the kings of the earth, and their armies, gathered together to make war against him that sat on the horse, and against his army.

20 And the beast was taken, and with him the false prophet that wrought miracles before him, with which he deceived them that had received the mark of the beast, and them that worshipped his image. These both were cast alive into a lake of fire burning with brimstone.

21 And the remnant were slain with the sword of him that sat upon the horse, which sword proceeded out of his mouth: and all the fowls were filled with their flesh.

These aren't historical events of the past. These are things that are yet to occur. The reason John speaks in present tense is because he is witnessing a revelation and as he sees it he is telling about it. He is simply telling about what he sees in the revelation.

Last edited:

Armageddon

A Greek transliteration from the Hebrew Har Megiddon, or “Mountain of Megiddo.” The valley of Megiddo is in the western portion of the plain of Esdraelon about 75 miles north of Jerusalem. Several times the valley of Megiddo was the scene of violent and crucial battles during Old Testament times (Judg. 5:19; 2 Kgs. 9:27; 23:29). A great and final conflict taking place at the Second Coming of the Lord is called the battle of Armageddon. See Zech. 11–14, especially 12:11; Rev. 16:14–21.

The false assumption made by surada is that all believers in future events from the Book of Revelation do not believe that any of the revelation applies to the time shortly after the prophesy of John. That is a false assumption. Many believe that the revelation of John was for the time just after John received the revelation all the way up to events that will still happen in the future.

Are you expecting Gog and Magog? Are you expecting a Battle at Armageddon?

Armageddon

A Greek transliteration from the Hebrew Har Megiddon, or “Mountain of Megiddo.” The valley of Megiddo is in the western portion of the plain of Esdraelon about 75 miles north of Jerusalem. Several times the valley of Megiddo was the scene of violent and crucial battles during Old Testament times (Judg. 5:19; 2 Kgs. 9:27; 23:29). A great and final conflict taking place at the Second Coming of the Lord is called the battle of Armageddon. See Zech. 11–14, especially 12:11; Rev. 16:14–21.

Zech 11:14 is fulfilled.

This prophecy was fulfilled during Israel’s war with Rome in the middle of the first century when the Roman army burned much of the province of Israel as part of its scorched earth policy.

Zechariah then goes on to warn that during this time, Israel will be oppressed by its rulers—a prophecy most notably fulfilled during the reign of Florus whose excessive oppression was the primary cause of the war.

In v. 9 Zechariah predicts that many will die and some who are left will “eat one another’s flesh.” During the Jewish War, Rome besieged Jerusalem inducing famine in the closed quarters of the city. And in fulfillment of v. 9, a woman is recorded to have killed her newborn child and eaten its flesh.1

After Rome conquered and destroyed Israel in the middle of the first century, Israel revolted once again shortly thereafter. During this time, Zechariah predicts that another oppressive “shepherd” will arise. This ruler is Simon Bar-Kokhba.

When Bar-Kokhba killed Eleazar before his stronghold at Bethar fell to the Romans, a heavenly voice was recorded in the Midrash to have bellowed Zechariah 11:17: “Woe to the worthless shepherd that leaveth the flock! The sword shall be upon his arm, and upon his right eye! Thou hast paralyzed the arm of Israel and blinded their right eye; therefore shall thy arm wither and thy right eye grow dim!”

Are you expecting Gog and Magog? Are you expecting a Battle at Armageddon?
We believe that Gog and Magog have reference to the Gentile nations. The three sons of Noah were Shem, Ham, and Japheth. Through Japheth came the gentile nations.

Genesis 10:1-5
1 Now these are the generations of the sons of Noah, Shem, Ham, and Japheth: and unto them were sons born after the flood.

2 The sons of Japheth; Gomer, and Magog, and Madai, and Javan, and Tubal, and Meshech, and Tiras.

3 And the sons of Gomer; Ashkenaz, and Riphath, and Togarmah.

4 And the sons of Javan; Elishah, and Tarshish, Kittim, and Dodanim.

5 By these were the isles of the Gentiles divided in their lands; every one after his tongue, after their families, in their nations.

Ezekiel 38:1-3
1 And the word of the Lord came unto me, saying,

2 Son of man, set thy face against Gog, the land of Magog, the chief prince of Meshech and Tubal, and prophesy against him,

3 And say, Thus saith the Lord God; Behold, I am against thee, O Gog, the chief prince of Meshech and Tubal:

Basically these were Gentile nations and Prophesies have used these names to refer to Gentile peoples. In the Battle of Armageddon, which we believe will occur just prior to the second coming of Christ in the land of Israel, there will be a gathering of many nations against Israel. These nations will primarily be Gentile nations that lead the cause and are said to come from the North (possibly Europe).

Ezekiel 39:1-7
1 Therefore, thou son of man, prophesy against Gog, and say, Thus saith the Lord God; Behold, I am against thee, O Gog, the chief prince of Meshech and Tubal:

2 And I will turn thee back, and leave but the sixth part of thee, and will cause thee to come up from the north parts, and will bring thee upon the mountains of Israel:

3 And I will smite thy bow out of thy left hand, and will cause thine arrows to fall out of thy right hand.

4 Thou shalt fall upon the mountains of Israel, thou, and all thy bands, and the people that is with thee: I will give thee unto the ravenous birds of every sort, and to the beasts of the field to be devoured.

5 Thou shalt fall upon the open field: for I have spoken it, saith the Lord God.

6 And I will send a fire on Magog, and among them that dwell carelessly in the isles: and they shall know that I am the Lord.

7 So will I make my holy name known in the midst of my people Israel; and I will not let them pollute my holy name any more: and the heathen shall know that I am the Lord, the Holy One in Israel.

An event prophesied by Christ that has never occurred yet is the following:

Matthew 24:30

30 And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.

I am sure that all the tribes of the earth has the meaning of everyone on earth. All those who are on the earth at the time of his coming will see him coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory. This same event is described in the book of Revelation:

Revelation 19:11-21
11 And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

12 His eyes were as a flame of fire, and on his head were many crowns; and he had a name written, that no man knew, but he himself.

13 And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God.

14 And the armies which were in heaven followed him upon white horses, clothed in fine linen, white and clean.

15 And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God.

16 And he hath on his vesture and on his thigh a name written, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS.

17 And I saw an angel standing in the sun; and he cried with a loud voice, saying to all the fowls that fly in the midst of heaven, Come and gather yourselves together unto the supper of the great God;

18 That ye may eat the flesh of kings, and the flesh of captains, and the flesh of mighty men, and the flesh of horses, and of them that sit on them, and the flesh of all men, both free and bond, both small and great.

19 And I saw the beast, and the kings of the earth, and their armies, gathered together to make war against him that sat on the horse, and against his army.

20 And the beast was taken, and with him the false prophet that wrought miracles before him, with which he deceived them that had received the mark of the beast, and them that worshipped his image. These both were cast alive into a lake of fire burning with brimstone.

21 And the remnant were slain with the sword of him that sat upon the horse, which sword proceeded out of his mouth: and all the fowls were filled with their flesh.

These aren't historical events of the past. These are things that are yet to occur. The reason John speaks in present tense is because he is witnessing a revelation and as he sees it he is telling about it. He is simply telling about what he sees in the revelation.

Gog and Magog invaded in 624 BC.

Armageddon

This prophecy was fulfilled during Israel’s war with Rome in the middle of the first century when the Roman army burned much of the province of Israel as part of its scorched earth policy.

Zechariah then goes on to warn that during this time, Israel will be oppressed by its rulers—a prophecy most notably fulfilled during the reign of Florus whose excessive oppression was the primary cause of the war.

In v. 9 Zechariah predicts that many will die and some who are left will “eat one another’s flesh.” During the Jewish War, Rome besieged Jerusalem inducing famine in the closed quarters of the city. And in fulfillment of v. 9, a woman is recorded to have killed her newborn child and eaten its flesh.1

After Rome conquered and destroyed Israel in the middle of the first century, Israel revolted once again shortly thereafter. During this time, Zechariah predicts that another oppressive “shepherd” will arise. This ruler is Simon Bar-Kokhba.

When Bar-Kokhba killed Eleazar before his stronghold at Bethar fell to the Romans, a heavenly voice was recorded in the Midrash to have bellowed Zechariah 11:17: “Woe to the worthless shepherd that leaveth the flock! The sword shall be upon his arm, and upon his right eye! Thou hast paralyzed the arm of Israel and blinded their right eye; therefore shall thy arm wither and thy right eye grow dim!”

Although the reference I gave of Zechariah 11-14 speaks of the Battle of Armageddon, I don't think chapter 11 specifically is speaking of the battle. Chapter 12 is where it begins speaking of the battle. The battle culminates with the Lord coming down and setting his foot upon the Mount of Olives and begins to fight Israel's battle:

Zechariah 14:1-4
1 Behold, the day of the Lord cometh, and thy spoil shall be divided in the midst of thee.

2 For I will gather all nations against Jerusalem to battle; and the city shall be taken, and the houses rifled, and the women ravished; and half of the city shall go forth into captivity, and the residue of the people shall not be cut off from the city.

3 Then shall the Lord go forth, and fight against those nations, as when he fought in the day of battle.

4 And his feet shall stand in that day upon the mount of Olives, which is before Jerusalem on the east, and the mount of Olives shall cleave in the midst thereof toward the east and toward the west, and there shall be a very great valley; and half of the mountain shall remove toward the north, and half of it toward the south.

Armageddon

Although the reference I gave of Zechariah 11-14 speaks of the Battle of Armageddon, I don't think chapter 11 specifically is speaking of the battle. Chapter 12 is where it begins speaking of the battle. The battle culminates with the Lord coming down and setting his foot upon the Mount of Olives and begins to fight Israel's battle:

Zechariah 14:1-4
1 Behold, the day of the Lord cometh, and thy spoil shall be divided in the midst of thee.

2 For I will gather all nations against Jerusalem to battle; and the city shall be taken, and the houses rifled, and the women ravished; and half of the city shall go forth into captivity, and the residue of the people shall not be cut off from the city.

3 Then shall the Lord go forth, and fight against those nations, as when he fought in the day of battle.

4 And his feet shall stand in that day upon the mount of Olives, which is before Jerusalem on the east, and the mount of Olives shall cleave in the midst thereof toward the east and toward the west, and there shall be a very great valley; and half of the mountain shall remove toward the north, and half of it toward the south.

Zecharia lived in the 6th century BC. He was predicting Alexander the Great or Cyrus.

Forum List

Back