🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

They say Brock Turner got a light sentence

The kid and his father are so arrogant they actually want to appeal a six month sentence. I mean you really have to be jaded to think you're going to get any court see it differently and drop charges or move it to a misdemeanor. An appeal could get him a more appropriate sentence besides.

If I had to guess he and his father are more afraid of the education he'll get while in the can and that's the real motivation.

I couldn't agree more, I think the need to punish beyond the sentence is cruel and unusual punishment. Yet it is a fact of life and I don't see it changing in time to save this kid from some brutal punishment.

I wish people would consider those unfortunate facts before they put themselves in mortal danger from it.

Brock Turner scheduled for early release in 3 months...
icon13.png

Jail: Brock Turner in Stanford sexual assault case scheduled for early release in 3 months
June 9, 2016 • With good behavior, former Stanford athlete Brock Turner’s controversial six-month jail sentence for sexual assault could be cut in half.
The light sentence created widespread consternation, and now county jail records show Turner is scheduled to be a free man by early September — three months after being booked on June 2. Turner, a swimmer with Olympic aspirations, was convicted in March of three felony counts: assault with intent to commit rape of an intoxicated person, sexually penetrating an intoxicated person with a foreign object and sexually penetrating an unconscious person with a foreign object. Under state law, Turner faced six to 14 years in state prison. But national outrage ensued when Santa Clara County Superior Court Judge Aaron Persky sentenced Turner to six months in county jail and three years probation.

The sheriff’s office pointed toward the court when asked about the planned early release. “We as the sheriff’s office and jail are told when to release inmates and when to accept inmates, basically,” Santa Clara County Sheriff’s spokesman Sgt. James Jensen told Yahoo News on Thursday. “If that’s the release date, that would be from a court telling us when to release him.” Multiple messages seeking comment from Santa Clara County Superior Court officials weren’t returned. Early Thursday, Yahoo News reported that the sentence credit given to Turner, 20, was due to a state law aimed at reducing California’s overcrowded state prisons.

tumblr_inline_o8j5ltOy0g1rmjpxn_540.jpg

A mug shot of former Stanford swimmer Brock Turner after his arrest in January 2015​

While Gov. Jerry Brown’s 2011 massive prison reform initiative does stipulate half-time credit for felony defendants sentenced to county jails, a California corrections official and others said similar sentence reductions have been on the books for decades. “People are routinely released from jail and prisons months and years before their sentence date,” said Jeffrey Callison, a spokesman with the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation. “Whatever happens, people always yell it’s early release. It’s just the way it is. It gives offenders an incentive to behave themselves and hopefully rehabilitate themselves.” Turner’s victim, an unidentified 23-year-old woman who was not a student of the university in Palo Alto, Calif., was attending a fraternity party when the assault occurred in January 2015.

The case captured national attention after a poignant 12-page statement read aloud in court by the victim was published online and shared by millions. Resentment over the light sentence grew further when comments Turner’s father made in court about his son paying a “steep price” for “20 minutes of action” also went viral. At the sentencing, the judge — identified by the Guardian as a former captain of the Stanford lacrosse team — said Turner’s “lack of complete acquiescence to the verdict should count against him.” “A prison sentence would have a severe impact on him,” Persky reportedly told the courtroom. “I think he will not be a danger to others.”

MORE

Brock Turner case gets global attention...
icon17.gif

US assault case prompts global rape culture debate
Sun, Jun 12, 2016 - A high-profile sex assault case in California reverberating across the globe has prompted soul-searching in the US and reignited a debate about rape culture on US college campuses.
The case burst into the spotlight after the victim made public a powerful letter to the judge who sentenced her attacker — 20-year-old former Stanford University student Brock Turner — on Thursday last week to six months in jail on three felony convictions. Her harrowing 12-page account of the assault in January last year and its impact on her life — read in court before the sentencing — lit up the Internet within hours of being posted online, drawing a global chorus of outrage at the light sentence and prompting calls for the judge to be removed from the bench. “You don’t know me, but you’ve been inside me, and that’s why we’re here today,” she told her attacker in the statement read in court. “You took away my worth, my privacy, my energy, my time, my intimacy, my confidence, my own voice, until today.”

A letter to the court by Turner’s father, stating that the former Stanford University swimmer did not deserve to be jailed for “20 minutes of action,” further stoked the debate about race and privilege. The furor even reached the nation’s capital, with US Vice President Joe Biden praising the young victim as a “warrior.” The case is emblematic of the way rape assaults are handled on US campuses, where observers say lax policies have created a climate of impunity and discouraged victims from speaking out. “In general, colleges and universities have done a really bad job at managing campus sexual assault, preventing it or responding to it when it occurs,” said Michele Dauber, a Stanford law professor spearheading a campaign to have the judge in the assault case recalled.

Dauber, who is a close friend of the 23-year-old California woman targeted in the assault, said the six-month sentence given to Turner — who is expected to serve only three months in county jail — downplays the seriousness of rape. “Here we have the ‘perfect’ victim who did everything ‘right,’ going to the police, making a formal charge and subjecting her body to the rape exam. She even had witnesses... and she still didn’t get justice,” Dauber said. “The message this case is sending is: ‘Don’t bother calling the police, you won’t get justice,’” Dauber added.

According to the National Crime Victimization Survey, about one in six women in the US are victims of sexual assault. A study last year by Brown University found that more than one in every six women are raped during their first year in college while too drunk or incapacitated to fend off their attacker. The majority of college-age victims — about 80 percent — knew their attacker, surveys show.

MORE

Seems like half the problem is women too drunk or incapacitated to fend off a rapist.

Is it too much to expect young women to not get too drunk or incapacitated?

Tipsy wrote: Is it too much to expect young women to not get too drunk or incapacitated?

... an' to quit wearin' dem short-shorts w/ no panties?

Tipsy wrote: Is it too much to expect young women to not get too drunk or incapacitated?

... an' to quit wearin' dem short-shorts w/ no panties?
Short skirts with no panties is just fine.

Short skirts, no panties and blind drunk at a wild frat party is expecting too much.

At some point women have to see to their own safety. Shoving personal well being off onto a drunk doesn't work. It is supposed to work. Women are supposed to be able to drink themselves to blackout anywhere they want. Random men are supposed to step up to the plate, no matter how drunk they are. Women are supposed to be cared for and respected. Supposed to. It just doesn't work. Face a little reality. Drunk means vulnerable. Vulnerable means victim.

One would think that none of you ever rolled a drunk!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/brock-turner-judge-aaron-persky_us_57567e21e4b0ca5c7b4fee75

They say Brock Turner got a light sentence.

They let everyone believe that, they keep they're mouth shut.

He'll be able to do whatever he wants in life, other than work. You get a conviction now, you're done. Our system is set up so employers keep handing out criminal sentences.

If that had been my little daughter he was messing around with all that shit would become academic. That little albino would be pushin' up daisies

as the mother of a son ....i cannot even begin to imagine the parenting that resulted in this man thinking he could just poke his dick in a passed out woman and yet i do not remember one time where i told my son....dont fuck passed out women.....i do remember the no is no lecture and giving it often.....yet it never occurred to give the dont poke your dick in a passed out woman....i raised a helper not a predator....

as the mother of a son ....i cannot even begin to imagine the parenting that resulted in this man thinking he could just poke his dick in a passed out woman and yet i do not remember one time where i told my son....dont fuck passed out women.....i do remember the no is no lecture and giving it often.....yet it never occurred to give the dont poke your dick in a passed out woman....i raised a helper not a predator....

Look up the letter Carleen Turner wrote to the judge....then you'll understand.

Forum List

Back