This is some good eatin' right out of the woods

JGalt

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2011
I stumbled upon these golden oyster mushrooms in the woods behind the house this morning. It's been a cool, wet Spring so far, which has been beneficial to these popping up all over the place. After picking and cleaning them, they weighed out at a little over 2 pounds. If you can find these at a farmer's market or organic food store, they run about $15 per pound.

We're going to saute them in butter, garlic, salt, and pepper tonight and have them with some grilled 1/2 pound burger patties. Being the everyday, average, normal people we are, we definitely won't be grilling the burger patties on an unlit grill, with a slice of cheese on the raw side of the patty. Even an idiot knows better than that.

golden oyster mushrooms1.jpg

golden oyster mushrooms2.jpg

I had some mushrooms that a friend cooked up for me... he finds them under oak trees in the spring... after he sautéed them they pulled apart like string cheese... delicious....
I wish I could remember their name...

Im not much on fungus, personally. Ill stick to normal people food. Like processed cheese and meat. High fructose corn syrup and sugars.

I get a good dose of that every morning. Right up the road a few miles is a little store I go to and have a huge sausage, egg, and cheese on a biscuit, slathered with Tabasco sauce and a packet of Hidden Valley ranch dressing. I wash it down with a Monster Pacific Punch energy drink, the one with sugar in it and the mermaid on the can.

Sometimes I'll try to make them at home. Biscuits in a can aren't quite as good, but I get rolls of slightly-expired Jimmy Dean sausage from the Amish store for $1.99 a roll, and we get free dozens of brown eggs from a neighbor who always has too many of them. They're not quite as good as the sammiches I get from the store through.

Life is good out in the country.

Down here in the woods its swamp cabbage, sweet hickorey nuts,black berries, oysters, clams ,mussels. Other things in nature free. My old pastor calls it Gods grocery store. :)
Justa warning on the mushrooms here in Florida there are musroom types that look like the edible kind but are poisonuse. Do your research before consuming.

Down here in the woods its swamp cabbage, sweet hickorey nuts,black berries, oysters, clams ,mussels. Other things in nature free. My old pastor calls it Gods grocery store. :)
Justa warning on the mushrooms here in Florida there are musroom types that look like the edible kind but are poisonuse. Do your research before consuming.

That goes anywhere when picking your own mushrooms. If you aren't sure about your ability, don't try it.

I always gather Morel mushrooms during Spring Gobbler season but I don't eat them.

I usually give them away or sell them if I run-up on a few pounds over the course of a couple days.

Eateries will pay $35.00 a pound, sometimes more if it been a lean season.

I always carry a small nylon mesh toiletry bag with me so when you tote them the spores fall back onto the forest floor.

th

I stumbled upon these golden oyster mushrooms in the woods behind the house this morning. It's been a cool, wet Spring so far, which has been beneficial to these popping up all over the place. After picking and cleaning them, they weighed out at a little over 2 pounds. If you can find these at a farmer's market or organic food store, they run about $15 per pound.

We're going to saute them in butter, garlic, salt, and pepper tonight and have them with some grilled 1/2 pound burger patties. Being the everyday, average, normal people we are, we definitely won't be grilling the burger patties on an unlit grill, with a slice of cheese on the raw side of the patty. Even an idiot knows better than that.

View attachment 964045
View attachment 964046
I eat things out the woods, but not usually fungi. :oops:

What 'bout them purple ring ones? :terror:

What 'bout them purple ring ones? :terror:
There is one in Canada that's edible but here in Florida the one looks just like it but is deadly. A fella at the campground from Canada made that mistake and luckily one of those 24 hr. clinics was not too far away.

View attachment 964045
View attachment 964046
I prefer curated roadkill.

Oh, I'd eat all that. Idk 'bout mushrooms, though. That's real dicey 'round heanh. A lot of 'em are poisonous. So many and there's so much other stuff I wouldn't even bother. Swamp Cabbage>Mushrooms. There's plenty of good, clean, non-poisonous swamp cabbage in FL. It's everwhere! Especially where you don't want it to be.
Add a li'l rabbit or hog and you got a meal! Fish, oysters, mussels, whatever.

Breakfast of champions.
My "Breakfast of Champions" Is Peanut Butter Cheese crackers, a Big Mama, and a Coke.

Or is that Peanut butter cheese crackers? It's the orange ones with peanut butter.

All the food has a li'l FD&C color idkthafuk. It's the same color as pickled eggs and pickled pigs' feet though.

My "Breakfast of Champions" Is Peanut Butter Cheese crackers, a Big Mama, and a Coke.

Or is that Peanut butter cheese crackers? It's the orange ones with peanut butter.

All the food has a li'l FD&C color idkthafuk.
I use live off that meal in my early days.

I eat things out the woods, but not usually fungi. :oops:

This variety perfectly edible, as long as you don't confuse it with the Jack-o-Lantern mushroom. I walked up the hill behind the house yesterday and found so many of them, I just picked 2 pounds worth and made a whole gallon of golden oyster mushroom soup.

I always gather Morel mushrooms during Spring Gobbler season but I don't eat them.

I usually give them away or sell them if I run-up on a few pounds over the course of a couple days.

Eateries will pay $35.00 a pound, sometimes more if it been a lean season.

I always carry a small nylon mesh toiletry bag with me so when you tote them the spores fall back onto the forest floor.

th
We found some of those in our back yard.
Lightly sauteed in butter - delicious!

We found some of those in our back yard.
Lightly sauteed in butter - delicious!
It's sort of a shame that I don't care for them, I love how they smelled when my mom would fry them up for dad and herself.

LOL....I remember one morning I had called-up and killed a decent Gobbler on a old drag road. I had just tied his legs up getting ready to walk out and decided to sit and take a swig of water.

I was sitting there and looked up the old drag road and it was just covered with morels!.....I filled my onion sack and every bellows pocket I had with them.....Worked out to around five pounds!

Dad found a bunch that morning too and he called a local eatery and they bought a few pounds off of us.

Forum List

Back