This is very good news

Roudy

Diamond Member
Mar 16, 2012
Warms my heart. "Wind in my legs": :clap2:

NBC News - Breaking News & Top Stories - Latest World, US & Local News

Four men paralyzed after bad spinal cord injuries can all move their legs again, thanks to an electrical stimulator.

Astonished researchers say they’d hoped for some result, but nothing like what they got. They think the stimulator is retraining the mens’ nerves to work with the brain again, despite the terrible damage.

“This is wonderful news. Spinal cord injury need no longer be a lifelong sentence of paralysis,” said Dr. Roderic Pettigrew, director of the National Institute of Biomedical Imaging and Bioengineering, one of the National Institutes of Health. “It is just downright marvelous.”

“We have uncovered a fundamentally new intervention strategy that can dramatically affect recovery of voluntary movement in individuals with complete paralysis even years after injury,” the researchers, led by Dr. Susan Harkema of the Frazier Rehabilitation Institute and the University of Louisville, write in their report, published in the journal Brain on Tuesday.

Because all four men tested have regained movement, including two who were completely paralyzed, it’s likely that many people who believed they were permanently paralyzed may be able to move again, says Reggie Edgerton, distinguished professor of integrative biology and physiology at the University of California, Los Angeles, who developed the approach.

YESS! Isn't neurological research wonderful?

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

Yes, this is just incredible! It is hard to imagine where this medical technology will go. Just Incredible!

It's the best news I've heard all day, Roudy! Praise G-d! I'm so happy for the people who need this medical technology! Absolutely marvelous news!

This is of course just the beginning. But it will be a second chance for millions at having a normal life again.

Imagine the possibilities of this electrical neural stimulator for applications in other neurological conditions...like Parkinson's, , Epilepsy, Neuropathy ...even Alzheimer's, if the theory of neural regeneration can be born out...

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

This is of course just the beginning. But it will be a second chance for millions at having a normal life again.

science is and technology is great!!! We should put more resources into research.

science is and technology is great!!! We should put more resources into research.
I knew a little 6 year old boy who had a spinal cord injury that paralyzed him in a freak accident when an antique piece on top of a cabinet inside their house fell on him. His parents who were extremely wealthy didn't leave a stone unturned to bring him back. I'm not sure what progress they made if any, since it was a long time ago, but it's those kinds of people that I feel happy for when I hear something like this.

Forum List

Back