This may make me sound like a liberal, I don't care. Not into trophy hunters.

Agree with the OP. I'm all for the 2nd Amendment, but I hate trophy hunting.

People who condemn trophy killing and then go and eat an animal are simply hypocrites. But it could be a decent first step. If trophy killing really upsets you, vote with your money and go vegetarian.

If you left out the word "trophy", you would be partly correct.

I've been vegetarian since the mid80s and have a sort of grudging respect for subsistence hunting. The problem is that all hunting does enormous damage. And really, there is no ethical reason to kill any animal just to hang a dead-head on the wall.

Sent from my iPad using USMessageBoard.com

And here we see a liberal that has no ability to respect a culture different than his own.

Unless they are as anti-american as he is, of course.

D
Why is this a political issue? Africa has regulated Safari hunting for decades and local poaching is a problem so you can't blame an American trophy hunter for anything. I hope the anti sport hunting fraternity doesn't applaud the gruesome death of an American hunter simply because they hate hunting.
Trophy hunting is not right. Hunting for food, or for population control etc where it is necessary is one thing.

Not for the big business.

Something about killing majestic animals and hanging them on walls....

There is a difference between hunting for trophy etc and doing it for food.

Period.
In a way i feel the same way as you, but thr truth is, if American trophy hunters werent doing these trips to Africa, all those majestic animals would be dead due to local poachers. An illegal poacher can go out and kill rhinos all day long, providing no money to the region at all. An american on the other hand will pay hundreds of thousands of dollars to hunt just one. That money then goes to preserving all the other wildlife by hiring security forces that watch for poachers.

An old adult rhino is extremely damaging to other rhinos. They become agressive and kill younger males so they cant breed. Culling them is vital to the rhino population. Thats where an american will step in, pay them a fuckload of cash and go cull the the old rhino.

It may look bad at a glance. Hell, these guys might be assholes who just want a trophy, but they truly are doing a huge service for wildlife when they go on these hunts.

Winner of rhino hunting auction: My $350,000 will help save species - CNN.com
If they are doing it to thin out herds or for food, but let's not kid ourselves.

Displaying them on walls and displaying them out is what the millionaires are paying big money to do.

It is about big business and there is something immoral about it. If it is necessary to kill animals for whatever the reasons, it should be done with more respect than the way it is being done.

I can tell you a lot of benefits in having abortions. From the overpopulation of humans, to not wanting more and more unwanted pregnancies with fatherless kids. Jesus even said judas would have been better off never being born. I can use all of the logic in the world. Displaying and smiling over a slaughtered majestic animal is NOT respecting creation.

This is about big business. If it was merely about what you are saying, it can still be done without the parading. I could get behind that. Would still have remorse though.

This is about the immoral manner in the way these things are done.
Do you support abortion?

I always wonder how anyone can compare the human fetus with any other animal because, usually, they are making a point against abortion.

I care more about animals than I do most humans but I find that comparison reprehensible.

A human considering humans to be less than animals is a form of "low self esteem" or self hatred, and is a factor in many mental disorders.

Such as depression or being a liberal.

At the end of the day their less than honorable purpose for hunting them is irrelevant. They might be dicks, but they are the only reason rhinos even still exist.
Why in the hell are they dicks?

They are funding the care of animals, conservationism and laws against poachers.

Most trophy hunters admire the animals that they hunt.

Why are you so judgmental against trophy hunters?

No they are not "funding the care of animals". That's just plain ludicrous and, as that old joke says, 'killing for conservation is like fucking for chastity'.

If it were about conservation, hunters would not target the youngest, healthiest and strongest.

Trophy hunting harms the ecology and balance of a particular which results in many more deaths. It also harms the human population because it pays only the outfitters. Photo tourism benefits all of that and strengthens the genetic diversity of the species.

Don't knee jerk support something unless you educate yourself first. Ignorance if such basic facts makes you look like a fool.

Most big game legal trophy hunts specifically target the oldest animals, ones that are out of the breeding population.

And you are not getting someone to plop down $150k to take a photograph.

Conservation was started by guys like Teddy Roosevelt, who wanted to preserve the animals he hunted, not wipe them out. Controlled Trophy hunting provides funding to stop poaching, and make the animals a resource to the locals, something to be protected.

People who condemn trophy killing and then go and eat an animal are simply hypocrites. But it could be a decent first step. If trophy killing really upsets you, vote with your money and go vegetarian.

If you left out the word "trophy", you would be partly correct.

I've been vegetarian since the mid80s and have a sort of grudging respect for subsistence hunting. The problem is that all hunting does enormous damage. And really, there is no ethical reason to kill any animal just to hang a dead-head on the wall.

And here we see a liberal that has no ability to respect a culture different than his own.

Unless they are as anti-american as he is, of course.

I would see it as more of biting one's nose to spite one's face. The goal is to create a sustainable population of these animals. If killing off some of the older ones leads to more younger ones who can increase the population, then I don't see the issue.

People need to realize that these older animals don't go off quietly into the night. They either starve when they can't catch prey, die of thirst if they really can't move, or get torn to shreds by scavengers when they can't defend themselves anymore. There is not such thing as a death with dignity in the wild, but a well placed bullet or two seems almost humane in comparison.

I would see it as more of biting one's nose to spite one's face. The goal is to create a sustainable population of these animals. If killing off some of the older ones leads to more younger ones who can increase the population, then I don't see the issue.

People need to realize that these older animals don't go off quietly into the night. They either starve when they can't catch prey, die of thirst if they really can't move, or get torn to shreds by scavengers when they can't defend themselves anymore. There is not such thing as a death with dignity in the wild, but a well placed bullet or two seems almost humane in comparison.

Indeed. And that system is working well enough.

You're lying, again! Usually the meat is given to local tribes or the folks that tend the camp.

what happens to animals hunted in african safaris?

LOL "Yahoo answers" is hardly a reliable source.

Don't attack the source maggot, prove it wrong or STFU.

That's not a "source." Any random joe can answer questions on yahoo answers. And hunting an endangered species for meat is beyond fucked up.

Is your google broke freak? Prove it wrong or STFU!

BTW you can't get a license to hunt endangered species.

OKTexas

Not true.

Check the " T&E" regs.

Also, TX is lousy with canned (chicken shit) hunts of endangered species.

Which endangered species are they allow to hunt in Texas?

Why is this a political issue? Africa has regulated Safari hunting for decades and local poaching is a problem so you can't blame an American trophy hunter for anything. I hope the anti sport hunting fraternity doesn't applaud the gruesome death of an American hunter simply because they hate hunting.

Ah fair warning there Whitehall- Debating the hunting issue with a bunch of emotionally charged, uninformed sissies is a black hole. Don't waste your time, just nod your head and move on.

"hunting" is what someone does to kill something in order to eat it. PERIOD!
"Killing" something so you can have it's head stuffed and hung on your wall is fucking SICK!!!!!!!!
I've hunting birds and big game all my life. ..........for food.
I have NEVER hunted with ANYONE who was doing so for a "trophy".
grow up, hysteric.

My brother hunted all his life for food. When he had enough kills that he no longer doubted his ability to get an animal he stopped shooting at the first available legal animal he c
I do not like hunting I despise trophies.

The American First People had to hunt to survive, but they prayed over the animal recognizing the necessity of the death and thanking the animal for its sacrifice.
They also wore skins, teeth, bones, feathers on their bodies, horses, and in and on their homes as status symbols.

At the end of the day their less than honorable purpose for hunting them is irrelevant. They might be dicks, but they are the only reason rhinos even still exist.
Why in the hell are they dicks?

They are funding the care of animals, conservationism and laws against poachers.

Most trophy hunters admire the animals that they hunt.

Why are you so judgmental against trophy hunters?

No they are not "funding the care of animals". That's just plain ludicrous and, as that old joke says, 'killing for conservation is like fucking for chastity'.

If it were about conservation, hunters would not target the youngest, healthiest and strongest.

Trophy hunting harms the ecology and balance of a particular which results in many more deaths. It also harms the human population because it pays only the outfitters. Photo tourism benefits all of that and strengthens the genetic diversity of the species.

Don't knee jerk support something unless you educate yourself first. Ignorance if such basic facts makes you look like a fool.

Words from a guy who definitely knows jack shit about hunting. They hunt the youngest? Young deer dont have very few "points". The best trophies are always the oldest, who have the most points. Quit talking about things you dont understand.

When I go hunting, I'm looking for a young doe and taking headshots.

I ain't looking for a trophy and I want that instant shutdown.

As long as what they kill is either a pest or is consumed, trophies are fine.

They aren't "consuming" Tigers, dude. They're simply killing them for fun.

You're lying, again! Usually the meat is given to local tribes or the folks that tend the camp.

what happens to animals hunted in african safaris?
Don't like the idea of hanging majestic animals on walls.

Proverbs 12:10 : "A righteous man cares for the needs of animals, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel."

Like I mentioned, I do not have a problem with them being killed for food or population control. There is something disrespectful about displaying them on walls. I also do not think the ones hanging them on walls and paying big money to do that really care all that much what they are doing with the meat.

There is a line and using them to parade on walls is wrong.

There is more to a hunt than just getting meat.

And part of that is the symbolic value of the hide and various body parts. Claws, bones, teeth all have symbolic value to hunters. There is nothing disrespectful about showing the hide or using it. That is your own bias, but it's far removed from the reality of why hunters display their trophies.

There are risks associated with hunting, one of which is death. Those who have hunted enjoy the tangible remembrances of the event, and believe it or not, they find those things beautiful and they treasure them. It's a really primal thing. If I killed a cat, there is no way I would *bury* or otherwise discard the skin, teeth and claws. I feel perfectly comfortable in homes that have trophies..bear, cat, antlers, fish, whatever, on the walls. To me it feels like home. The people I grew up with hunted...some on a subsistence level, some went for trophies, and none of those people disrespected the animals they took.

They have the right to hunt. You don't have to like it.

No Tolerance for Self-Righteous Mutants

These decadent weaklings and cowards do have to like it, if they want to rejoin the human race.

I'll tell you what

I suggest that from now on, we hunt trophy hunters to extinction.... until there is none left, ok?

Now, that would be a novel idea!

And then we mount them on a wall.....like this
So you believe that human life and animal life are equivalent?

If we truly allowed hunting we would include people.

Weeding the Garden

We should hunt down the people we need to exterminate, such as the PETA creeps.

I'll tell you what

I suggest that from now on, we hunt trophy hunters to extinction.... until there is none left, ok?

Weeding the Garden

Environmentalist wackos.

I would much rather hunt liberals for a trophy........Um, no, wait, they wouldn't be worthy of being called a trophy.

Last edited:
This type of hunting actually makes me sick and honestly think it is sinful.

Are the wages of that particular sin death? Actually a classic liberal would say - It's not my thing but if it's yours and it's legal, have at it.

It certainly isn't my thing and I wouldn't go on big game hunts even if I could afford to - but to denigrate those who do, or to applaud the death of a human for engaging in legal activity as some on here have done - is far from any ideal of classic liberalism.

Wonder how some of these same folks feel about the death penalty?

I'll tell you what

Weeding the Garden

Environmentalist wackos.
Green Is the Color of Bread Mold

Vive La France for sinking Greenpeace's ship!

Forum List

Back