This sure wont help OBAMA. Gas prices will be over 4.00 by spring

i agree it wont happen in months, but why keep procrastinating? when do we start seriously investing in alternatives?

i agree oil certainly produces the most energy, but are u telling me start to invest in a power grid and solar panels in a desert would not be a good long term investment? and at least reduce demand for oil somewhat in the future
Consider how land intensive solar is, and then realize it only works when it's light enough. Compared to hydro which works 24/7/365 as long as there is water which if you're smart is always, there is no comparison.

i am no engineer and dont know what is most cost effective or produces the most energy, i just know i would like some serious investments made in alternatives very soon. no need to kick the can down the raod any further. unless the oil lobby continues to exert so much influence
Stop it. Newsflash. Most petroleum is used for other products besides motor fuel.
What you would like is irrelevant.
What matters is whether private sector companies can make a profit with these alternatives. If their forecasts say no, there will be no investment.

$4.00 a gallon for gas will be cheap once Iran closes the Strait of Hormoz to all exept what they want to export going to whoever they want to export it to.

Really afraid of the Iranian navy, eh?

The sinking of a few ships is all it will take to close the Straits. It's not Rocket Science.

That's not going to happen. Remember the Gulf War...The Iraqis made the same threat and what? Nothing. Closing that shipping lane is like them setting their own house on fire.

Yeah...I was a little puzzled by that comment myself.
And half that price the Europeans pay is in taxes.

It is an alternative to federal reserve printing money and devaluing the dollar. With a european gas tax, Obama wouldn’t need the federal reserve to take more debt.

No..The debt machine just gets dumped on the American consumer.
You cannot be that intellectually vacant.
The economy is in the shitter now.
Just what do you think would happen if your European style taxation is implemented here?

WHY do people believe the sun doesn't shine (or the wind blow) in Seattle?

C'mon - THINK.

Seriously, that's really lame.

Check your phone book or Google it.
Do research before typing. You will not appear foolish..
This table depicts the mean number of cloudy days in Washington State..Select cities.
WASHINGTON

OLYMPIA 25 22 22 20 18 16 11 12 13 20 23 26 228
QUILLAYUTE 24 21 22 21 20 20 16 16 14 19 22 24 239
SEATTLE-TACOMA AP 24 21 22 20 18 17 11 12 13 19 23 25 226
SEATTLE URBAN SITE 23 19 19 16 14 15 9 11 13 18 21 23 201
SPOKANE 24 20 19 17 15 12 6 7 9 15 22 24 191
STAMPEDE PASS 26 23 24 22 20 19 10 11 14 20 25 27 241
WALLA WALLA 23 19 16 13 11 8 3 4 7 13 20 25 162
YAKIMA 22 18 17 14 12 10 4 6 7 13 19 22 164
Please note...As recorded at the National Weather Serive Office at the SEATAC Int'l airport
The mean nuimber of cloudy days days per year is......226....That means just 139 clear days ( 3/10ths or less cloud cover) per year...
Combine that with the average length of day from May thru Sept ( about 12.75 hours) that leaves roughly 90 or 24 hour periods for sun exposure on solar panels. Not nearly enough.

C'mon - THINK.

This table depicts the mean number of cloudy days in Washington State..Select cities.
WASHINGTON

Please note...As recorded at the National Weather Serive Office at the SEATAC Int'l airport
The mean nuimber of cloudy days days per year is......226....That means just 139 clear days ( 3/10ths or less cloud cover) per year...
Combine that with the average length of day from May thru Sept ( about 12.75 hours) that leaves roughly 90 or 24 hour periods for sun exposure on solar panels. Not nearly enough.

I would think Seattle would benefit more from wind than solar. What you need is about 50 Giant Windmills on Queen Anne Hill. :D :lol:

Or maybe you could knock down some of those buildings. :):):)

800px-Seattle-Skyline1.jpg

C'mon - THINK.

WASHINGTON

I would think Seattle would benefit more from wind than solar. What you need is about 50 Giant Windmills on Queen Anne Hill. :D :lol:

Or maybe you could knock down some of those buildings. :):):)

800px-Seattle-Skyline1.jpg

Unfortunately, Seattle doesn't get that much wind either, but east of the mountains would be a great place for some windmills.

This will hurt all candidates, so I imagine this will not be a factor. If it were near $5 a gallon in October, then probably so.

How the heck will this hurt any candidate other than Obama?

Because thinking Americans know a president cannot really influence gas prices, and when they go up badly all politicians get blamed.

He knows what of he speaks( writes)...
Presidential policy can and does have a very large effect on the economy, energy, currency, etc.
When the US President by executive order issues an offshore oil drilling ban it most certain does effect the commodities markets..
When a President twists the the arms of Congress to get them to spend the amounts of money he wishes, or enacts such things as QE1 and QE2 or issues executive orders mandating nearly one trillion dollars in discretionary spending, one thing is constant. To fund these things in the absence of real revenue, the federal government must print additional dollars. That increases the supply of currency which in turn devalues the USD.
Because the price of crude is indexed to the USD, the lower the value of the USD , the higher the price of crude and gasoline.
So at the end of the day, yes indeed, the Presidential policy can and does influence the price of crude oil and gasoline as well as other commodities.

Choices:

* Move closer to employment

* Park the cars and use public transportation

* Ride Bicycles and buy one more

* Ride 100 mpg motorcycles

* Drive cars that get 35-48 mpg in the city

* Get 3 pair of new walking shoes

* When going out on a date walk or ride a bike to discover how
romantic life can be. Do a little wine over cheese and fruit while out and about.

Think: Gas powered vehicles are large tax dollar budget items. Cars are constantly whining for more lanes or new roads or snow removed or fix the damn potholes or etc etc etc. all of which require tax dollars and more tax dollars and more tax dollars and more tax dollars.

Gas powered vehicles are tax dollar moochers!
Fuck you! I am sick of you new urbanist smart growth dirt eating tree hugging pole smokers trying to tell everyone where and how they should live.
If I were to tell all the people who cannot find work that they should relocate to a new community where there is work, you fucking libs would shit your pants.
Ride a bicycle...Yeah, for exercise..You forget we all don't live in Florida California or Arizona. Same goes for motorcycles. We're supposed to travel via these methods when it's below freezing? In the snow? Or in summer thunderstorms?...What about people who must travel as part of making a living? People in delivery, trucking, construction or other trades? Do we tell them they cannot use their trucks? Ok fucko, next time you need a plumber, you can fucking wait. You'll be served last because you were the mother fucking genius that suggested we ride bicycles to work.
I really hate people like you.
BTW, you God damned mental midget. If it were not for tolls and auto fuel taxes subsidizing mass transit, you flower children would be paying $1500 a month for your rail pass. Just who the fuck do you think pays for your bus or train ticket? You elitist scum bag.
Cars do not whine. These are inanimate objects.

In Europe gas prices are $8-10 Per gallon. 4$ gallon is nothing.
Shut the fuck up..First European countries cannot produce their own oil and gas.
Second, roughly 70% of the price of gas in European countries is due to taxes.
Great, we should pay ten bucks a gallon as a "political me too"...
You fucking libs would be going out of your minds if gas was that expensive. You'd accuse the oil companies of price gouging. You's scream that Republicans and Wall Street made gas expensive so that only "the rich" could drive cars...

Umm. She is far from being a lib if you see most of her post :lol:
Ok, can we focus?

I don't agree. We could do it; all it takes is the will and determination to do so. Which is why, when the topic comes up, I recommend that we stop all development of new weapons systems but still continue with the research. Because we don't need to mass produce fighter jets 3 generations ahead of what the other guys have (yet) because their designs are likely ones that they copied from us anyway.

We need catalyst for the determination and outside of a real and palpable threat to our national security, it isn't coming. You're right about the savings short-term though. There will be none.

However, it is foolish to think that if everybody started getting 40-60 mph from their cars, that we would use as much oil. That is pretty easy to see that we would use much less.

TM is off the mark when it talks about saving heating costs. Very small percentage of your electrical power comes from oil fired power plants. Coal is the source of that power more or less.

"Will and determination" doesn't pay for anything.
Here's the issue. The federal government cannot raise enough tax revenue to pay for these grandiose projects. The private sector sees little chance of return on investment.
These things MUST BE PAID FOR. As long as it is money that it takes to get these thngs done, it is what it is.
They can afford it by stopping waste on government health care. Take that money and instead of playing games with 'unique services' which medicine isn't, and start doing something productive with it that will advance this nation like infrastructure building, repair and expansion. We need to increase our energy production nationwide by 250% if we are to make it through this century as a leader. that's a lot of jobs to create. Our transportation infrastructure needs updating. Our information infrastructure needs completing.

That's how we can afford it.

But then again, this money should not be spent by the feddies (save for highways and railroads since that is in their constitutional power) and turn it over to the states to improve themselves.
Be careful...Government pays for nothing. Besides, there is no expertise in government capable of this. It would have to be contracted out to the private sector. These companies are going to look at the balance sheet. If there is no potential return on investment, two things are going to happen. One is the companies will demand a subsidy or guarantee on their investment. In which case the taxpayers will get stuck with the bill. And forget the medical care thing. That's not going anywhere because it is an entitlement. And any rational person knows the government can and will not ever end an entitlement.
The second alternative is private firms will decline to participate.

That's almost as high as they were under Bush

BAHAHAHAHA . when Bush left office gas was 1.88 .. It did get up over 4.00 agallon but it was short lived, on average during Bush in office it was 2.47

If I remember correctly, in NYC it hit over $4.50 a Gallon, and it preceded the Housing Collapse.
Much of the issue surrounding high gas prices was the belief on the part of the major commodities traders that there was eventually going to be a major oil supply disruption. Also, the down economy was predicted as far back as 2005 when Katrina hit the US Gulf coast. Traders saw how vulnerable the infrastructure of our number one oil port not only that they knew the US Dollar was going to take a down turn in the wake of a weakening economy.
Those three factors contributed to the oil price spike which began in late 2005

Bad energy policy by decreasing secure domestic production means we're subject to the trials and tribulations of imported fuel from unsecure sectors of the world. Not to mention, trouble in the middle east ALWAYS increases fuel costs. It seems the world's investors see Iran gumming up the works and decreasing overall supply. I'd go long on oil too if I could invest in it.
I agree. Another fuel related good buy is fuel pellets and hardwood for heating. You will see more and more stores carry fuel pellets and or wood for fireplaces. Wood burning stoves are selling well also.

Choices:

* Move closer to employment

* Park the cars and use public transportation

* Ride Bicycles and buy one more

* Ride 100 mpg motorcycles

* Drive cars that get 35-48 mpg in the city

* Get 3 pair of new walking shoes

* When going out on a date walk or ride a bike to discover how
romantic life can be. Do a little wine over cheese and fruit while out and about.

Think: Gas powered vehicles are large tax dollar budget items. Cars are constantly whining for more lanes or new roads or snow removed or fix the damn potholes or etc etc etc. all of which require tax dollars and more tax dollars and more tax dollars and more tax dollars.

Gas powered vehicles are tax dollar moochers!
Fuck you! I am sick of you new urbanist smart growth dirt eating tree hugging pole smokers trying to tell everyone where and how they should live.
If I were to tell all the people who cannot find work that they should relocate to a new community where there is work, you fucking libs would shit your pants.
Ride a bicycle...Yeah, for exercise..You forget we all don't live in Florida California or Arizona. Same goes for motorcycles. We're supposed to travel via these methods when it's below freezing? In the snow? Or in summer thunderstorms?...What about people who must travel as part of making a living? People in delivery, trucking, construction or other trades? Do we tell them they cannot use their trucks? Ok fucko, next time you need a plumber, you can fucking wait. You'll be served last because you were the mother fucking genius that suggested we ride bicycles to work.
I really hate people like you.
BTW, you God damned mental midget. If it were not for tolls and auto fuel taxes subsidizing mass transit, you flower children would be paying $1500 a month for your rail pass. Just who the fuck do you think pays for your bus or train ticket? You elitist scum bag.
Cars do not whine. These are inanimate objects.

"tell everyone where and how they should live"?

Describes your attitude, spoon.

Bull and shit. You cannot logistically convert this nation over to an alternative energy source in 1 year, let alone realize any damn savings. This is particularly obvious when you realize that NONE of the alternatives equal the efficiency and energy density of oil, particularly gasoline.

Gas and other traditional fuels are still too cheap to force us into alternative markets, particularly with the amount of infrastructure in place

Just the way the Saudis want it to be...

"We don't want the West to go and find alternatives, because, clearly, the higher the price of oil goes, the more they have incentives to go and find alternatives,"~ Saudi Prince Al-Waleed bin Talal​

Was he one of the guys that Bush was swapping spit with?

The alternatives ARE out there and we, the United States, the supposed world leader, are not even taking baby steps towards them. Did you know there are entire towns (in other countries) being run entirely on wind and hydrogen? Have you heard about the battery swapping stations they are building in Israel and Australia?

Not even baby steps...

Forum List

Back