This sure wont help OBAMA. Gas prices will be over 4.00 by spring

The alternatives ARE out there and we, the United States, the supposed world leader, are not even taking baby steps towards them. Did you know there are entire towns (in other countries) being run entirely on wind and hydrogen? Have you heard about the battery swapping stations they are building in Israel and Australia?

Not even baby steps...
alternatives like oil shale work better.

The alternatives ARE out there and we, the United States, the supposed world leader, are not even taking baby steps towards them. Did you know there are entire towns (in other countries) being run entirely on wind and hydrogen? Have you heard about the battery swapping stations they are building in Israel and Australia?

Not even baby steps...

Everyone of these boondoggles I've ever heard about is losing money hand over fist. If they were economical, private corporations would be building them without government subsidies.
the point in a nutshell right there. The alternatives are not viable yet economically. When they are, they will go gangbusters like all new profitable technology.

You can't force it.

Not even baby steps...

Everyone of these boondoggles I've ever heard about is losing money hand over fist. If they were economical, private corporations would be building them without government subsidies.
the point in a nutshell right there. The alternatives are not viable yet economically. When they are, they will go gangbusters like all new profitable technology.

You can't force it.

yes you can. That is one of my biggest concerns with this administration.

Why dont you show them making a profit.

Make sure you subtract out the free tax money.

Can we do the same for oil and gas, take out all the "free' tax money I mean.

I'm of the opinion that we should not be making a profit off our source of energy. Ours should be an appliance based energy, not a resource based energy. People should be making their money off the machines that collect and store the energy, not off the source of the energy itself. I'd like to see nobody but gadget makers profiting off "energy".

And yes, the reason China is beating our fucking pants off, is because they are subsidized by their government. Same thing as Germany.

Where would our current infrastructure be without subsidies?

you bring up an interesting point in regard to "non profit" energy suppliers...again, not those that distribute the actual energy...but those that furnish the energy distribution centers with the necessary natural resource.

Should there be profit made on a necessity?

That came up yesterday when NYCarbineer said he felt it wrong that someone makes a profit off of a failing company when they step in and try to tuirn it around.

So I started to think about it...

Doctors offer a service that is a necessity. Should they be non profit?
How about attorney's? They offer a service for people that are in dire need of legal help.
Accountants? They are a necessity.
Winter coat manufactuers? Retailers that distribute them?
Farmers? Grocers?
Universities?

Where do we draw the line? Who "ethically" has the right to generate a profit?
"Non-Profit". :::spits:::

I could get just as rich as most captains of industry with a non profit. I just line item my salary and if I accidentally make more than that, I turn in back into something else to eliminate profit with 'necessary expenditures' or 'investments'. Oh look! No profit.

Non-profit isn't the cure. Breaking geographical monopolies will do a LOT of that on it's own. Just think if you could choose the company you buy electricity too. Look at the phone industry and see how it works. Apply that to power, cable and/or water... what a difference it would make.

Miss_Cleo.jpg

This sure wont help OBAMA. Gas prices will be over 4.00 by spring

Can we do the same for oil and gas, take out all the "free' tax money I mean.

I'm of the opinion that we should not be making a profit off our source of energy. Ours should be an appliance based energy, not a resource based energy. People should be making their money off the machines that collect and store the energy, not off the source of the energy itself. I'd like to see nobody but gadget makers profiting off "energy".

And yes, the reason China is beating our fucking pants off, is because they are subsidized by their government. Same thing as Germany.

Where would our current infrastructure be without subsidies?

you bring up an interesting point in regard to "non profit" energy suppliers...again, not those that distribute the actual energy...but those that furnish the energy distribution centers with the necessary natural resource.

Should there be profit made on a necessity?

That came up yesterday when NYCarbineer said he felt it wrong that someone makes a profit off of a failing company when they step in and try to tuirn it around.

So I started to think about it...

Doctors offer a service that is a necessity. Should they be non profit?
How about attorney's? They offer a service for people that are in dire need of legal help.
Accountants? They are a necessity.
Winter coat manufactuers? Retailers that distribute them?
Farmers? Grocers?
Universities?

Where do we draw the line? Who "ethically" has the right to generate a profit?

War? We all agree that nobody should be profiting from war right? Does that mean we don't pay our soldiers? No, it doesn't.
Why? Why shouldn't industry profit during a time of war? It's been the way of things since the establishment of the 4th estate (That's the merchant 'class' not the media) and the beginning of a post feudal era back in the Renaissance.

You can't force it.

Okay, let me rephrase.

You can force it, but it is a bad thing compared to letting it happen naturally. It's the difference between using a known hazardous fertilizer on a crop. Yes you get a big crop but can you safely eat it? It's fraught with dangers and problems. The trans continental railroad is a classic example. It would have happened over time because there was both a need and a good chance of incredible profit without government subsidies... it just would have taken more time. For a good example of how to do it right, look at what J.J. Hill did with his Northern Pacific.

You can't force it.

Okay, let me rephrase.

You can force it, but it is a bad thing compared to letting it happen naturally. It's the difference between using a known hazardous fertilizer on a crop. Yes you get a big crop but can you safely eat it? It's fraught with dangers and problems. The trans continental railroad is a classic example. It would have happened over time because there was both a need and a good chance of incredible profit without government subsidies... it just would have taken more time. For a good example of how to do it right, look at what J.J. Hill did with his Northern Pacific.

You didnt need to rephrase. I knew what you were saying. My point was that it seems folks in this administration have a very liberal attitude....you know....do what appears to be the right thing without concerning themselves of the long term (and some short term) negative ramifications.

Hopefully the price is a lot higher than $4 for a gallon come election time. That will ensure the Hussein gets the boot.

War? We all agree that nobody should be profiting from war right? Does that mean we don't pay our soldiers? No, it doesn't.

I agree...

But I am not sure what you are implying.....

Should doctors, lawyers, accountants, farmers, coat manufactureress, grocers, etc all be put on a set income like our military?

Like our policemen or firemen?
So privatize them, and let em compete if you want them to profit more. Oh that should be a right jolly mess.

Okay, let me rephrase.

You didnt need to rephrase. I knew what you were saying. My point was that it seems folks in this administration have a very liberal attitude....you know....do what appears to be the right thing without concerning themselves of the long term (and some short term) negative ramifications.
The problem doesn't stop with just elected officials and their staff, but rather the nation as a whole. It's just most concentrated in Washington. All short term 'what will keep me elected' thinking. The second part of the problem comes in with the lobbyists and advocates all looking for a grand scale handout that changes the flow of money in payola for their industries or causes or AWAY from an industry or cause. Greenies want oil money for them, and vice versa.

Franklin's curse regarding the people getting used to the idea of voting themselves from the public trust has come true.

are you so really uninformed that you think there are NO alternatives?
There are alternatives. But, people do not have the money to buy brand new 40K thousand dollar cars for those alternatives. Are you so stupid this is going to hurt your GOD OBAMA.. Your head is so far up your ass you can see your eyes in your mouth:cuckoo: Oh and if the EPA gets their way and closes all the coal places for electricity we wont have lights either. I hope your ready not be able to drive and have any lights because of the EPA and you tree huggers!!

So incredibly full of hate. Are YOU so blind that you cannot see that the ruling class in any society seeks to divide and conquer?

All is vanity. But I guess it's more fun to insult others.

are you so really uninformed that you think there are NO alternatives?
There are alternatives. But, people do not have the money to buy brand new 40K thousand dollar cars for those alternatives. Are you so stupid this is going to hurt your GOD OBAMA.. Your head is so far up your ass you can see your eyes in your mouth:cuckoo: Oh and if the EPA gets their way and closes all the coal places for electricity we wont have lights either. I hope your ready not be able to drive and have any lights because of the EPA and you tree huggers!!

So incredibly full of hate. Are YOU so blind that you cannot see that the ruling class in any society seeks to divide and conquer?

All is vanity. But I guess it's more fun to insult others.
Obama is absolutely 100% anti fossil fuel because he is committed( and that word has two contexts here) to the notion that so-called "green energy" can and will relieve us of ever having to use oil again. Obama knows damned well his ideas are pie in the sky, but Obama with his incredibly high awareness of self worth and his own belief that HE knows what's best, would never in a million years ever admit his ideas are not mainstream.
This is why Obama has worked to give the EPA virtual absolute authority over 'environmental' matters. Obama tried to strong arm Congress to go along with his energy policy but could not even get his own party to go along. So Obama made good on a threat to bypass Congress.
It is my opinion that if Obama could weather the political storm and the outrage of Americans, he would by executive order increase federal fuel taxes to at least $1 per gallon or even more. The guy is that committed to ramming conservation down our throats by making it more expensive to move about freely.
So instead of some jack booted government thug demanding "your papers, sir/ma'am" every time we crossed a state line, it will be "here's you tax bill", jerk.

It sure will effect him since he will not ok the pipeline open more drilling in the gulf. He helping hurting us with his policies then help!! The left blamed bush all the time when the gas prices raised but when Obama is on watch its not his fault.
Why, so we can EXPORT more gasoline? That's right, the oil monopoly is exporting gas because we are already producing more than we consume. More drilling will not lower the price, it will only lead to more exports.

I've been paying over $4 for almost a decade.What B da problem ?
OH. BTW I now make my own bio-diesel so it costs pennies.:cool:
What is the primary ingredient of your bio diesel? What was the cost of the conversion kit for your vehicle?
There was a story in our local paper about a man who'd done this to his car...\
The kit cost him nearly $5,000. He was also getting used coking oil from restaurants for free.
Not everyone can do this.
Having been in the restaurant business for 5 years I can tell you that unless a user would be willing to take the entire 500 gallon container full of grease and used cooking oil they are not going to allow them to take any. The place I worked at got paid for the oil by the recycling company that picked it up. The company took a percentage of the value of the oil based on the market price for recycled oil.
Then of course there is storage and the disposal of effluent after filtering of the product.
See here's my take on these so called alternative measures.
Everything has a cost. Some of these methods can often involve a major up front cost that quite frankly few regualr working people can afford. Then there are maintenance costs. One must find an auto shop willing and able to work on these vehicles,
While I am a supporter of other than oil/gas, these methods must be marketable to the average person. To do that, these fuels must be at or under the current cost of gas/diesel, perform the same or better, offer the same or better fuel economy, do not damage engines or engine parts, require few is any modifications to the standard internal combustion engine and of course must be as readily available as current fuels.

$4.00 a gallon for gas will be cheap once Iran closes the Strait of Hormoz to all exept what they want to export going to whoever they want to export it to.

Really afraid of the Iranian navy, eh?
Do you mean the navy that St Ronnie sank? :lol:

Mar 28, 2008
RUSH: Basically, Reagan sunk Iran's navy, if I could just sum this up. We sunk Iran's navy.

Forum List

Back