Three reasons food prices will skyrocket

R

rdean

1. The environment is changing. Drought will affect huge parts of America.

2. The deaths of bees.

3. Immigrant policies leave no one to pick crops.

They've already skyrocketed, or haven't you been to the grocery store lately? I love the roast chickens down at my local grocery store deli (my dogs love them too). They were $5.99 in 2012. They're $8.99 now, and they're smaller too. All flesh -red, foul, or fish has gone through the roof. I talked to my dogs about becoming vegans, but we scrapped that idea after about 30 seconds of discussion. Maybe it's time to coupon shop. I'm too damn lazy though.

2. The deaths of bees.

those dam Republicans.....

I know, right?

1. The environment is changing. Drought will affect huge parts of America. (Republicans don't believe in climate change or spending money to help this country. Only Iraq. They will stop us from doing anything until too late. Then they will blame it on Democrats for not stopping them. Just like they did in Iraq.)

2. The deaths of bees. (Remember when McCain and Palin laughed about that? When McCain was running for president? Republicans don't believe in science. They will block us from doing anything until bees are extinct.)

3. Immigrant policies leave no one to pick crops. (The problem is already being felt from Washington State to Florida. Farmers in Georgia and North Carolina have been particularly hard hit from draconian GOP immigration laws leaving crops to rot in the fields. It will be interesting to see the damage done just this year by GOP policies which won't be reported until after the midterms.)

By the end of this year, Republicans will have really screwed over this country. Maybe even worse than under Bush but probably not. I don't see how they could top that for a while.

They've already skyrocketed, or haven't you been to the grocery store lately? I love the roast chickens down at my local grocery store deli (my dogs love them too). They were $5.99 in 2012. They're $8.99 now, and they're smaller too. All flesh -red, foul, or fish has gone through the roof. I talked to my dogs about becoming vegans, but we scrapped that idea after about 30 seconds of discussion. Maybe it's time to coupon shop. I'm too damn lazy though.

You said way too much.

The OP doesn't care about human interest stories regarding how food prices have affected them or the very nature of the truth itself regarding the escalation of those food prices.

He is here only to troll the board with partisan tripe.

Oh yeah, and he's stupid, too.

You said way too much.

The OP doesn't care about human interest stories regarding how food prices have affected them or the very nature of the truth itself regarding the escalation of those food prices.

He is here only to troll the board with partisan tripe.

Oh yeah, and he's stupid, too.

I'm right all the way around. Right?

2. The deaths of bees.

Because, now that have health care, the food supply is the next obvious target for corporatist control over society.

2. The deaths of bees.

I know, right?

1. The environment is changing. Drought will affect huge parts of America. (Republicans don't believe in climate change or spending money to help this country. Only Iraq. They will stop us from doing anything until too late. Then they will blame it on Democrats for not stopping them. Just like they did in Iraq.)

2. The deaths of bees. (Remember when McCain and Palin laughed about that? When McCain was running for president? Republicans don't believe in science. They will block us from doing anything until bees are extinct.)

3. Immigrant policies leave no one to pick crops. (The problem is already being felt from Washington State to Florida. Farmers in Georgia and North Carolina have been particularly hard hit from draconian GOP immigration laws leaving crops to rot in the fields. It will be interesting to see the damage done just this year by GOP policies which won't be reported until after the midterms.)

By the end of this year, Republicans will have really screwed over this country. Maybe even worse than under Bush but probably not. I don't see how they could top that for a while.

The biggest reason for long-term and continually increases in food prices (as opposed to spikes caused by droughts and the like) is the atrocious monetary policy set by the Federal Reserve and the actions of the U.S. corporatist financial system. When you expand the money supply, you creation inflation, not more food.

EDIT: I also want to note that pollution and environmental problems are something we can and should be working on stopping. Just wanted to note that food price inflation is largely effected by monetary policy.

Last edited:

2. The deaths of bees.

we will have to end the monopolies and act as bees for ourselves till we get them back. unfortunately it may take a big emps to knock out the transmissions and or pollution killing bees. We are going back to the start. don't go back to this pyramid scheme if we even have a chance to rebuild.

The biggest reason for long-term and continually increases in food prices (as opposed to spikes caused by droughts and the like) is the atrocious monetary policy set by the Federal Reserve and the actions of the U.S. corporatist financial system. When you expand the money supply, you creation inflation, not more food.

EDIT: I also want to note that pollution and environmental problems are something we can and should be working on stopping. Just wanted to note that food price inflation is largely effected by monetary policy.

actually, monetary policy will generaly affect all goods and services not just food. All goods and services show inflation below 2%. Sorry

The uneven rise points to disparate forces affecting food prices. Drought in Oklahoma and Texas is driving up cattle prices. A disease known as porcine epidemic diarrhea virus has killed millions of piglets and contributed to higher hog prices. A disease known as citrus greening is killing Florida's orange and grapefruit trees, driving up citrus prices. Most of the shrimp eaten in the U.S. comes from Southeast Asia, where a bacterial infection has devastated stocks. Coffee prices have risen this year due to a drought in Brazil.

U.S. food prices are increasing, raising a sensitive question: When the cost of a hamburger patty soars, does it count as inflation? WSJ chief economic correspondent Jon Hilsenrath joins the News Hub with Simon Constable to discuss. Photo: Getty

AI-CJ542_OUTLOO_D_20140706144721.jpg

Fed Chairwoman Janet Yellen plans to take her time in raising interest rates. Getty Images

These factors suggest recent food inflation springs from special factors constraining supplies in a few areas, as opposed to broad increases in demand, which might propel the kind of across-the-board consumer prices increases that the Fed tries to stem.

actually, monetary policy will generaly affect all goods and services not just food. All goods and services show inflation below 2%. Sorry
Monetary policy does not effect all goods and services equally and at the same time. It depends entirely where the new money goes. One of the largest misunderstandings is the changes in the money supply effect everything equally. That is simply not true. Money often enters the stock market (or housing market, as was seen in the last monetary boom). Food prices will also see price rises (though perhaps to a smaller degree than where the primary boom occurs) because they are something people always buy, thus new money is bound to have an effect. Increases in supply and more efficient means of production can counteract this inflationary effect.

The uneven rise points to disparate forces affecting food prices. Drought in Oklahoma and Texas is driving up cattle prices. A disease known as porcine epidemic diarrhea virus has killed millions of piglets and contributed to higher hog prices. A disease known as citrus greening is killing Florida's orange and grapefruit trees, driving up citrus prices. Most of the shrimp eaten in the U.S. comes from Southeast Asia, where a bacterial infection has devastated stocks. Coffee prices have risen this year due to a drought in Brazil.

U.S. food prices are increasing, raising a sensitive question: When the cost of a hamburger patty soars, does it count as inflation? WSJ chief economic correspondent Jon Hilsenrath joins the News Hub with Simon Constable to discuss. Photo: Getty

AI-CJ542_OUTLOO_D_20140706144721.jpg

Fed Chairwoman Janet Yellen plans to take her time in raising interest rates. Getty Images

These factors suggest recent food inflation springs from special factors constraining supplies in a few areas, as opposed to broad increases in demand, which might propel the kind of across-the-board consumer prices increases that the Fed tries to stem.
I'm talking about long term food prices. A rise in long-term food prices are a direct effect of expansionary monetary policy. That is why food is more expensive today than it was decades ago in dollar terms.

Forum List

Back