Three reasons food prices will skyrocket

grape farming is setting a record in grape production

Of course, RollingBlunder knows this, I just posted this in another thread in environment, but I guess for some the truth is not important.

California growers expect large crop of quality grapes despite challenges - The Produce News - Covering fresh produce around the globe since 1897.

California growers expect large crop of quality grapes, despite challenges
by Rand Green | July 25, 2014
It is not easy being a farmer anywhere, and it has certainly not been easy in recent years to be a grape grower in California in the face of a plethora of challenges, ranging from drought exacerbated by government-imposed limitations on agricultural water use to rising labor costs and a maze of ever-intensifying regulatory pressures.

Yet thus far, California grape growers have been able to meet the challenges and turn out ever-increasing volumes of high-quality grapes in an expanding array of varieties.

22-CalGrapes-Crop--ScarletR.jpg
Plantings of Scarlet Royal red seedless grapes, a relatively new variety, have increased significantly in California's San Joaquin Valley in recent years for the mid- to late season. (Photo courtesy of Sundale Sales)Last year was a record year for California grape shipments, with a record 116.2 million boxes of grapes (19-pound equivalent) going to market. For 2014, the crop was officially estimated at just over that — 116.5 million boxes — at the season’s start. The California Table Grape Commission revisited the estimate at its meeting on July 17 and reaffirmed that number, notwithstanding some early vineyards in the San Joaquin Valley picking out a little lighter than growers had anticipated, attesting their confidence that if all went as expected, strong volumes would be realized throughout the balance of the season.

In the San Joaquin Valley, California’s largest grape growing region, the 2014 harvest started earlier than usual — earlier than ever for some growers — with varieties coming off from one week to as much as two weeks earlier than average.

There are more articles, some dealing exclusively with table Grapes.

1. The environment is changing. Drought will affect huge parts of America.

2. The deaths of bees.

3. Immigrant policies leave no one to pick crops.
Only #2 is real, the rest is utter bullshit

and you forgot;

4. Using food for fuel
5. forced increase of Min wage
6. printing money
7. borrowing money
8. vast debt

and so on

2. The deaths of bees.

Only #2 is real, the rest is utter bullshit

and you forgot;

4. Using food for fuel
5. forced increase of Min wage
6. printing money
7. borrowing money
8. vast debt

and so on
All yours are utter bullshit. The dollar is strong, after 2 drought years corn prices are less than half what they were under bush and velocity of money is down, so money printing is not the problem, Bad weather killed off and forced slaughter of a huge percent of the cattle in this country. Cattle numbers are down to 1960's levels. Now cattle must be retained to rebuild the herds to eat this years bumper crop when its is harvested. Beef prices will fall in 3 years.

2. The deaths of bees.

those dam Republicans.....

I know, right?

1. The environment is changing. Drought will affect huge parts of America. (Republicans don't believe in climate change or spending money to help this country. Only Iraq. They will stop us from doing anything until too late. Then they will blame it on Democrats for not stopping them. Just like they did in Iraq.)

2. The deaths of bees. (Remember when McCain and Palin laughed about that? When McCain was running for president? Republicans don't believe in science. They will block us from doing anything until bees are extinct.)

3. Immigrant policies leave no one to pick crops. (The problem is already being felt from Washington State to Florida. Farmers in Georgia and North Carolina have been particularly hard hit from draconian GOP immigration laws leaving crops to rot in the fields. It will be interesting to see the damage done just this year by GOP policies which won't be reported until after the midterms.)

By the end of this year, Republicans will have really screwed over this country. Maybe even worse than under Bush but probably not. I don't see how they could top that for a while.
With obama unemployment numbers and people loosing their unemployment benefits there are plenty of Americans that will do the job. stop lying dean
Not true, actually. In CA, for example, Americans were not rushing to fill vacant farming jobs, despite huge demand for them.

Farmers in California Struggling to Find Workers To Help With Crops Fox News Latino

Even with so many American citizens out of work, they just aren’t rushing for the fields for these jobs.

“We’ve tried hiring through EDD. Most people don’t even show up number one," Goehring said. "The few who do will actually just come out and slip off quietly without being noticed, and I’ve never had one return the second day."

Experts said that tighter immigration laws and the drug war along the border have contributed to the shortage. A recent Pew Hispanic Center Study shows that more Mexicans are leaving the United States rather than entering.

if true then prices should be going up! CA somehow picks its crops, still. I think the farmers are bluffing about no workers. Its simple supply and demand. IF you got no workers you raise wages till you ge them.
with this drought there are less crops to pick.....in the Imperial valley lots of farmers are not growing anything....UE is about 20% down there....
????

Less crops to pick, I guess you missed the above average Grape Harvests, some say record Grape Harvest. Two years in a row.

Imperial Valley has nothing to do with the drought, the Imperial Valley is the desert, pure desert.

The Imperial Valley historically overdrew water allotments from the Colorado River, Southern California took double its allotment from the Colorado River, that day is gone.

So now we here screams of drought when there is no drought in the Desert, because that is what a Desert is, dry, parched earth.

But people miss much of the news, or cling to the headlines meant to scare them into looking to the government for help.

Imperial Valley farmers being paid by IID to fallow fields
Water transfer putting pressures on farmers as fields are left fallow

Mar. 16, 2014

bilde

Purchase Image
Farmer Ed Hale looks at alfalfa that has grown on its own in a fallowed field. The field is being fallowed through a program that pays landowners who temporarily forgo water deliveries. / Jay Calderon/The Desert Sun
Written by
Ian James|The Desert Sun

• Filed Under
ABOUT THE SERIES
BEYOND DROUGHT As California confronts some of its driest times on record, the state is also facing bigger, more systemic problems of growing water scarcity that go beyond the drought. Even in years with more rainfall, there often isn’t enough water to slake the thirst of agriculture and growing cities and towns. Heavy pumping of groundwater is drawing down aquifers, while reservoirs are running low in places from the Central Valley to the Colorado River. This growing gap, with demands for water regularly outstripping supplies, is prompting difficult questions about what sorts of uses should take precedence and how to stretch water supplies further. In a series of occasional articles, The Desert Sun is examining how the region is hitting its water limits and how those constraints are affecting life and prompting discussion about rethinking California’s water priorities.

BRAWLEY — A red padlock atop a closed canal gate is keeping water from flowing to a 97-acre field, leaving scraggly remnants of alfalfa that will soon wither in the baking sun.

This field is one of many across the Imperial Valley being left dry and brown as a result of the nation’s largest agricultural-to-urban water transfer. Landowners are being paid by the Imperial Irrigation District to fallow their farms, while increasing flows of water are diverted to cities in San Diego County and the Coachella Valley

Imperial Valley Farming is politics, not drought. Who cares about the truth when there is Global Warming to sell.
imperial valley maybe Desert,but that farmland down there has been turned into some of the most fertile farmland in the Country.... thats a Billion dollar a year industry that is at a standstill.........i have a buddy who lives down there and whose family farms down there and i have been there often and he says politics is a small part.....most of it is because of the water situation........so dont say im wrong or i will have to laugh....

US citizens need to get off their ass in the summer to go plant & pick crops. Kids should work in the fields in the summer instead of roaming the streets. Summer farm field work is why school is out for the summer.

Alabama immigration: crops rot as workers vanish to avoid crackdown

Alabama-tomatoes-007.jpg
For those who don't grow their own food Tomatoes rot on the vein not because they have been on the vine to long, many issues can cause that.
And another thing those tomatoes were selectively placed their on the ground

2. The deaths of bees.

I know, right?

1. The environment is changing. Drought will affect huge parts of America. (Republicans don't believe in climate change or spending money to help this country. Only Iraq. They will stop us from doing anything until too late. Then they will blame it on Democrats for not stopping them. Just like they did in Iraq.)

2. The deaths of bees. (Remember when McCain and Palin laughed about that? When McCain was running for president? Republicans don't believe in science. They will block us from doing anything until bees are extinct.)

3. Immigrant policies leave no one to pick crops. (The problem is already being felt from Washington State to Florida. Farmers in Georgia and North Carolina have been particularly hard hit from draconian GOP immigration laws leaving crops to rot in the fields. It will be interesting to see the damage done just this year by GOP policies which won't be reported until after the midterms.)

By the end of this year, Republicans will have really screwed over this country. Maybe even worse than under Bush but probably not. I don't see how they could top that for a while.
With obama unemployment numbers and people loosing their unemployment benefits there are plenty of Americans that will do the job. stop lying dean
Not true, actually. In CA, for example, Americans were not rushing to fill vacant farming jobs, despite huge demand for them.

Farmers in California Struggling to Find Workers To Help With Crops Fox News Latino

Even with so many American citizens out of work, they just aren’t rushing for the fields for these jobs.

“We’ve tried hiring through EDD. Most people don’t even show up number one," Goehring said. "The few who do will actually just come out and slip off quietly without being noticed, and I’ve never had one return the second day."

Experts said that tighter immigration laws and the drug war along the border have contributed to the shortage. A recent Pew Hispanic Center Study shows that more Mexicans are leaving the United States rather than entering.

if true then prices should be going up! CA somehow picks its crops, still. I think the farmers are bluffing about no workers. Its simple supply and demand. IF you got no workers you raise wages till you ge them.
with this drought there are less crops to pick.....in the Imperial valley lots of farmers are not growing anything....UE is about 20% down there....
????

Less crops to pick, I guess you missed the above average Grape Harvests, some say record Grape Harvest. Two years in a row.

Imperial Valley has nothing to do with the drought, the Imperial Valley is the desert, pure desert.

The Imperial Valley historically overdrew water allotments from the Colorado River, Southern California took double its allotment from the Colorado River, that day is gone.

So now we here screams of drought when there is no drought in the Desert, because that is what a Desert is, dry, parched earth.

But people miss much of the news, or cling to the headlines meant to scare them into looking to the government for help.

Mar. 16, 2014

bilde

Purchase Image
Farmer Ed Hale looks at alfalfa that has grown on its own in a fallowed field. The field is being fallowed through a program that pays landowners who temporarily forgo water deliveries. / Jay Calderon/The Desert Sun
Written by
Ian James|The Desert Sun

• Filed Under
ABOUT THE SERIES
BEYOND DROUGHT As California confronts some of its driest times on record, the state is also facing bigger, more systemic problems of growing water scarcity that go beyond the drought. Even in years with more rainfall, there often isn’t enough water to slake the thirst of agriculture and growing cities and towns. Heavy pumping of groundwater is drawing down aquifers, while reservoirs are running low in places from the Central Valley to the Colorado River. This growing gap, with demands for water regularly outstripping supplies, is prompting difficult questions about what sorts of uses should take precedence and how to stretch water supplies further. In a series of occasional articles, The Desert Sun is examining how the region is hitting its water limits and how those constraints are affecting life and prompting discussion about rethinking California’s water priorities.

BRAWLEY — A red padlock atop a closed canal gate is keeping water from flowing to a 97-acre field, leaving scraggly remnants of alfalfa that will soon wither in the baking sun.

This field is one of many across the Imperial Valley being left dry and brown as a result of the nation’s largest agricultural-to-urban water transfer. Landowners are being paid by the Imperial Irrigation District to fallow their farms, while increasing flows of water are diverted to cities in San Diego County and the Coachella Valley

Imperial Valley Farming is politics, not drought. Who cares about the truth when there is Global Warming to sell.
imperial valley maybe Desert,but that farmland down there has been turned into some of the most fertile farmland in the Country.... thats a Billion dollar a year industry that is at a standstill.........i have a buddy who lives down there and whose family farms down there and i have been there often and he says politics is a small part.....most of it is because of the water situation........so dont say im wrong or i will have to laugh....
Oh sorry, you have a friend, big deal. Get him on here and we got a debate, otherwise your comments are simple heresy. Not factual or pertinent to my post.

he says politics is a small part.....most of it is because of the water situation........so dont say im wrong or i will have to laugh....

what I've read is that politics determines who gets the water, especially in a drought when there is not enough to go around

2. The deaths of bees.

I know, right?

????

Mar. 16, 2014

bilde

Purchase Image
Written by
Ian James|The Desert Sun

• Filed Under
ABOUT THE SERIES

Oh sorry, you have a friend, big deal. Get him on here and we got a debate, otherwise your comments are simple heresy. Not factual or pertinent to my post.
yea ill take what you say over a guy who lives down there and is in the middle of that shit.......i told you not to say im wrong.....now i gotta laugh at you.......

1324512.gif

he says politics is a small part.....most of it is because of the water situation........so dont say im wrong or i will have to laugh....

what I've read is that politics determines who gets the water, especially in a drought when there is not enough to go around
these guys were told .....there is no water.....20% unemployment down there......lots of Ag workers out of work....

That is a huge lie. Grape production dropped like a stone. 2013 Grape harvest was 7,806,810 metric tons, 2014 Grape harvest was 7,200,780 metric tons.

That is a huge lie. Grape production dropped like a stone. 2013 Grape harvest was 7,806,810 metric tons, 2014 Grape harvest was 7,200,780 metric tons.
I posted links, every report says above average, last year set records, this year is about the same, great grape harvest, above average, as reflected in the price, 2 bucks a pound.

But scream and rant all you want, those are the facts.

I posted links, every report says above average, last year set records, this year is about the same, great grape harvest, above average, as reflected in the price, 2 bucks a pound.

You did not link to facts. You cherry picked (grape picked) crops & linked to articles that fit your agenda. I posted facts & you continue your dishonest tirade. :crybaby::bye1:

California Corn Production for 2013 was 35.1 million bushel. For 2014 it was only 19.3 million bushel.
California Rice Production for 2013 was 23,787 tons. For 2014 it was only 18,404 tons.
California Cotton Production for 2013 was 943,000 bales. For 2014 it was only 725,000 bales.

Last edited:

You did not link to facts. You cherry picked (grape picked) crops & linked to articles that fit your agenda. I posted facts & you continue your dishonest tirade. :crybaby::bye1:

California Corn Production for 2013 was 35.1 million bushel. For 2014 it was only 19.3 million bushel.
California Rice Production for 2013 was 23,787 tons. For 2014 it was only 18,404 tons.
California Cotton Production for 2013 was 943,000 bales. For 2014 it was only 725,000 bales.
2014 is not over, idiot. Your figures have come before the harvest, how is that.

I linked to fact, you did not link, you are the liar deceiver not me, 2013 was or is included in this drought, how is it 2013 set records in agriculture production.

furthermore you are comparing a record year in yields to a year that is far from over, a better benchmark is to compare the year to an average year, not a record year.

talk about dishonesty, kissmy, as all can see, kissmy is clearly just a liar or dumb

2014 is not over, idiot. Your figures have come before the harvest, how is that.

I linked to fact, you did not link, you are the liar deceiver not me, 2013 was or is included in this drought, how is it 2013 set records in agriculture production.

furthermore you are comparing a record year in yields to a year that is far from over, a better benchmark is to compare the year to an average year, not a record year.

talk about dishonesty, kissmy, as all can see, kissmy is clearly just a liar or dumb

You are so dishonest & stupid. I linked to the "facts" & your reply quoted it in my previous post. :lol:

USDA production numbers count harvested & unharvested crop. They are the latest USDA crop production numbers that were released today. So there I linked to the facts for your dumb-ass again! Grape production is the lowest in over 10 years.

Last edited:
California's grape harvest, thus far for this year, is above average.

Last year was above average as well. Last year set a record during the so-called drought.

Drought in california is not a factor on prices.

How about that 7.1 billion dollar water bond in california, seems politics would dictate a scare the public campaign to pass that.

But I guess liberal politicians are not concerned with money and power hence they will be truthful when 7.1 billion dollars is up for stealing

Last year was above average as well. Last year set a record during the so-called drought.

How about that 7.1 billion dollar water bond in california, seems politics would dictate a scare the public campaign to pass that.

But I guess liberal politicians are not concerned with money and power hence they will be truthful when 7.1 billion dollars is up for stealing
KissMy just totally debunked your lies that harvest are the same or better, and yet you keep parroting them over and over. Repeating debunked lies does not make them truth, it just makes you stupid.

KissMy just totally debunked your lies that harvest are the same or better, and yet you keep parroting them over and over. Repeating debunked lies does not make them truth, it just makes you stupid.
Yes we know, your tactic is to repeatedly call people a liar who prove your opinion is wrong

Sorry, but our grape harvest set a record last year, during the so-called drought.

This year the harvest is not over, yet thus far its above average, you and kissmy are the ones making claims comparing a record year to year not even close to being over

Further

No he didnt, we set a record last year and this year is not over yet still above average.

A decline from a record year of grape production, yet still above average proves what?

Your position requires you to take the very best year, California set a record total in grape production in 2013, and now a few idiots wish to compare 2013, a record year, to 2014 which is thus far above average, which is not over, to declare a the so-called drought us having a negative effect.

More grapes than ever before, no links or posts disprove this fact.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back