Thrown in jail for unpaid medical debt

"You wouldn't think you'd go to jail over medical bills": County in rural Kansas is jailing people over unpaid medical debt

Ah! More of that greatness and shining beacon on the hill America supposedly is! Awesome! While the politicians shit on the people,the people get thrown in jail for debt they can't pay. Can only imagine the mental gymnastics people are going to use to justify this shit.

Had he shown up for his court hearing he would not have been sent to jail for contempt of court. It sounds like he was not communicating with courts.

Isn't this something that could be done via the US Mail?

Just pick up the phone and call the court. They'll work with you. Ignore da judge, and you're (rightfully) toast!

A five hundred dollar bond is $50.00 with a bondsman.

You can't. You have to show up.

Living Wage Calculator

Then add 10% for rent increases.

thats bullshit,,,I could never live on that,,,

And many Working American make less than that.

Eighty percent of Working Americans live pay check to pay check.

Forty percent of Working Americans have to work two or more jobs to live.

thats how its been since the begging of mankind,,,
not sure why current man is so special he needs more than us that worked for what we earned,,,

You hate American Workers which makes you a Russian troll farm contractor or a libertarian.

I've been one for 50 yrs,,,

so fuck you you communist prick,,,

You're a Russian troll farm contractor and you call me a commie?

thats bullshit,,,I could never live on that,,,

And many Working American make less than that.

Eighty percent of Working Americans live pay check to pay check.

Forty percent of Working Americans have to work two or more jobs to live.

thats how its been since the begging of mankind,,,
not sure why current man is so special he needs more than us that worked for what we earned,,,

You hate American Workers which makes you a Russian troll farm contractor or a libertarian.

I've been one for 50 yrs,,,

so fuck you you communist prick,,,

You're a Russian troll farm contractor and you call me a commie?

I'm a person that worked my ass off for that living wage and not because some computer or politician decide what it should be,,,

so go drink your vodka and fuck yourself,,,

Are people not responsible for their debts?

These people have a Sixth Amendment which guarantees them the right to a fair and speedy trial.

What's happening is you have a cattle guy acting as an appointed judge who hasn't even so much as taken a law course doing whatever this seedy debt collector tells him to do. Hell, that judge doesn't even understand what the debt collector acting as attorney is saying to him in legal terms. And the debt collector knows it. This 'attorney/debt collector is effectively dictating the law, the proceedings and the outcome as a business venture. This nonsense of coming in every three months and having this weasel debt collector interrogate you over what assets you have and how much you're making is communist. It's unconstitutional.

You can't win here. Very few of you on here who claim to be conservative understand anything of the sort about what it actually means to be conservative. If you want to be a good conservative you have to ask what the role of government should be. The Founders asked the question, they had a revolution and they wrote a Constitution. What they decided was the proper role of government was to protect Individual liberties. And we have a very good guide. It's called the Constitution.

What needs to happen here, and it'll only take one person, is that they need to demand a trial by an informed jury. And this shit will end quick.

What's next? If you get a speeding ticket you have to come in every three months and answer a bunch of questions about where you've been driving and how fast you've been driving to get there the last 90 days and if you don't comply you get put in a cage without a trial?

Last edited:
You can't pay a $1,000.00 medical bill apparently now you face humiliation, and possible jail time, in certain jurisdictions.

You declare bankruptcy on hundreds of millions in debt, you get elected president.

always-S.jpg

As you know, President Donald Trump never declared bankruptcy. Six of hundreds of his businesses declared bankruptcy over a period of 50 years.

It's funny how many argue that Trump is never responsible for anything.

Is what I posted true or false?

It's false. A business owner is responsible for what their business does.

FAKE NEWS!!!

they went to jail for not showing up to court not because they didnt pay the bills,,,,

Exactly. You could literally pay$20.00 a month for the rest of your life. Your credit would be jacked up, but there would be nothing they could do. Don’t show for court, you get a contempt warrant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

not in this case,,,if they showed up to court then they wouldnt be in jail,,,

Working two jobs makes that difficult. You can't pay your medical bills, you work two jobs but you have to take the day off (whether your employer lets you off or not) to go to court to accomplish nothing.

irrelevant,,,

The facts of a situation is never irrelevant. What a waste of taxpayer money. Basically tax payers are being asked to be a bill collector for a business.

your narrative is all wrong,,,the courts are to resolve disputes like this and they went to jail because they didnt show up when they were supposed to,,,

although I do disagree with taxs going to jail them for this, but my opinion is irrelevant,,,

They have to show up over and over and over and over. It's a good way to lose your job.

Once a month? No free lunch.

Had he shown up for his court hearing he would not have been sent to jail for contempt of court. It sounds like he was not communicating with courts.

I don’t write the laws, he was ordered to appear in court, he didn’t show up, he got arrested, so the government doesn’t think so. Maybe you can use your vast amounts of money and get them out of debt.

Or employers like me can pay a living wage.

what exactly is a living wage???

Living Wage Calculator

Then add 10% for rent increases.

You still didn't answer the question. What exactly is a living wage?

What's next? If you get a speeding ticket you have to come in every three months and answer a bunch of questions about where you've been driving and how fast you've been driving to get there the last 90 days and if you don't comply you get put in a cage without a trial?

Well, yes! If you have not paid your fine and don't show up in court if required, the judge will issue a warrant for your arrest. As he should.

Last edited:
You can't pay a $1,000.00 medical bill apparently now you face humiliation, and possible jail time, in certain jurisdictions.

You declare bankruptcy on hundreds of millions in debt, you get elected president.

always-S.jpg

As you know, President Donald Trump never declared bankruptcy. Six of hundreds of his businesses declared bankruptcy over a period of 50 years.

SMOOTH dodge. Did Donald Trump declare personal bankruptcy?

How many companies have you owned?

"You wouldn't think you'd go to jail over medical bills": County in rural Kansas is jailing people over unpaid medical debt

Ah! More of that greatness and shining beacon on the hill America supposedly is! Awesome! While the politicians shit on the people,the people get thrown in jail for debt they can't pay. Can only imagine the mental gymnastics people are going to use to justify this shit.

Just pick up the phone and call the court. They'll work with you. Ignore da judge, and you're (rightfully) toast!

A five hundred dollar bond is $50.00 with a bondsman.

You can't. You have to show up.

Of course, you can. At least you can in Florida. Even criminals can request a postponement. More than one would probably be pushing things.

If you have not paid your fine and don't show up in court if required, the judge will a warrant for your arrest. As he should.

The rub in this case is having to come in every three months and having to be interrogated by a debt collector who enjoys the luxury of enforcement of said debt collector's arbitrary whims by a judge with no legal background whatsoever.

This turns the Sixth Amendment on its head. As well as the Fifth. And the First. And likely the Fourth.

FlaCalTenn provided the model for which this kind of jurisprudence should function in America.

As I said, all it would take would be for one person to demand a trial by an informed jury and this unconstitutional screwery would end with the quickness.

Last edited:
I thought this was a far more revealing article about what's going on there in that county...

When Medical Debt Collectors Decide Who Gets Arrested

Welcome to Coffeyville, Kansas, where the judge has no law degree, debt collectors get a cut of the bail, and Americans are watching their lives — and liberty — disappear in the pursuit of medical debt collection.

The debt collector was interviewed about it. He's quite a gloater. Here's how he wrapped up the interview...

After a couple of hours, a clerk poked her head into the courtroom and told us it was time to leave. Hassenplug and I began to walk out, and on the terrazzo steps, he asked if I wanted to see his buildings. He owned five of them on a shuttered stretch of town. He wondered out loud if he was making a mistake by inviting me, but he was pleased when I accepted. “There ain’t any place on earth quieter than downtown Coffeyville,” he said, leading me into the silent streets.

He walked me through the alleys under a cloudless sky, and when he arrived at one of his buildings, he tapped a code to his garage. The door lifted, and inside, five perfectly maintained motorcycles, Yamahas and Suzukis, were propped in a line. To their left, nine pristine, candy-colored cars were arranged – a Camaro SS with orange stripes, a Pontiac Trans Am, a vintage Silverado pickup with velvet seats. He toured me around the show cars, peering into their windows, and mused about what his hard work had gotten him.

Last edited:
If you have not paid your fine and don't show up in court if required, the judge will a warrant for your arrest. As he should.

The rub in this case is having to come in every three months and having to be interrogated by a debt collector who enjoys the luxury of enforcement of said debt collector's arbitrary whims by a judge with no legal background whatsoever.

This turns the Sixth Amendment on its head. As well as the Fifth. And the First. And likely the Fourth.

FlaCalTenn provided the model for which this kind of jurisprudence should function in America.

As I said, all it would take would be for one person to demand a trial by an informed jury and this unconstitutional screwery would end with the quickness.

These are civil not criminal matters. That is a major difference.

Quite some years back (I'm really old) I had a gap in my health insurance and, as luck would have it, I incurred a medical bill of about $40,000.00. After the dust settled I went to the hospital and the doctors with my attorney. We worked out a payment plan. All very amicable. I worked seven days a week for two years and paid it off early. No one bothered me, no court appearances.

Working two jobs makes that difficult. You can't pay your medical bills, you work two jobs but you have to take the day off (whether your employer lets you off or not) to go to court to accomplish nothing.

irrelevant,,,

The facts of a situation is never irrelevant. What a waste of taxpayer money. Basically tax payers are being asked to be a bill collector for a business.

your narrative is all wrong,,,the courts are to resolve disputes like this and they went to jail because they didnt show up when they were supposed to,,,

although I do disagree with taxs going to jail them for this, but my opinion is irrelevant,,,

They have to show up over and over and over and over. It's a good way to lose your job.

Once a month? No free lunch.

Unless you are well connected and then you get billions.

always-S.jpg

SMOOTH dodge. Did Donald Trump declare personal bankruptcy?

How many companies have you owned?

Trump is responsible for the businesses he owns.

I thought Obozocare was supposed to take care of that...

Apparently not!!!
Neither Obamacare nor the supposed Yuge Bestest healthcare in the world Trump was gonna deliver.

RIGHT!! This is what the "greatest" country in the world has become. It's really sad. I posted this in another thread earlier to show the failings of Obamacare.

Your post ignores all of “amendments” changes and cuts made by Republicans to Obamacare, in an effort to force it to fail. That includes Trumps refusal to confirm he would continue d
Subsidy payments causing many companies to withdraw from the exchanges in many states.

Since Republicans haven’t been able to repeal the law, it’s death by a thousand cuts. And Kentucky refused to participate in the exchanges from the get go.

This is very partisan and it’s happening because of Republican policies.

If they're going to throw people in jail for not paying their medical bills, which aren't optional in many cases, then they should throw kids who don't repay their college loans in jail too. Maybe that would discourage the millions of dopes who aren't college material from wasting that money in the first place. But what really happens is the slugs say they can't pay and the powers that be transfer their bills to the hard working middle class. Fuck that.

Forum List

Back