Time for the US to abolish the Death Penalty

I would lose no sleep if the States all outlawed the death penalty. On the other hand, there are some cases where I think it is perfectly appropriate and where, if it gets effected, I would also lose no sleep.

Despite rightwinger's attempt to dismiss what retiredSgt said, the point is actually a good one.

If a convict gets sentenced to consecutive life sentences all with no possibility of parole and then kills a fellow inmate or prison guard, what happens to him? HE gets ANTOHER sentence of life with no possibility of parole.

Oh.

That ought to deter him.

On the other hand, if you put him down like a dangerous dog under those circumstances, he gets to hurt or kill nobody else down the road.

If an inmate is doing this, he might be trying to get executed so that he does not have to spend life in prison. These guys can be drugged, put in solitary confinement, etc.

90% of the world no longer uses the Death Penalty

The US is among a lustrious group that continues to execute prisoners. That group includes China, Iran, Iraq, N Korea and Saudi Arabia......Something all Americans can be proud of

Use of capital punishment by country - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In order to join the EU, you cannot have the capital punishment.

That alone would be a great reason to have the death penalty in your nation.

We have 2 really bad stains on us as a country,capital punishment is one of them,and should go. There is no place in a civilized world for capital punishment.

That's the kind of sentiment that emboldens criminals and causes the taxpayers of this country to have to continually pay for building and operating more jails and prisons and the people to man them. The criminals aren't afraid of getting caught because even if they do, when they go to jail they'll have better accommodations than they could provide on their own if they had to get out and work for a living.
Whatever we do, let's not discourage the criminals. They deserve the most 'civilized' of our behavior.

You obviously never spent time in prison. they are not country clubs.

The US is among a lustrious group that continues to execute prisoners. That group includes China, Iran, Iraq, N Korea and Saudi Arabia......Something all Americans can be proud of

In order to join the EU, you cannot have the capital punishment.

That alone would be a great reason to have the death penalty in your nation.

I see the idiots have signed in. How much time have you spent living in Europe to be able to compare it to the United States?

The freaking hypocrites are at it again. I don't have a problem with the execution of domestic terrorist Tim McVeigh and left wing anti-capital punishment people didn't complain about the federal government executing Timothy McVeigh in a record 7 years from conviction date. The freaking president authorized the execution of American citizens by drone plane strikes even without due process.

Not true.

I came into this thread hoping to find a well though out argument opposing the death penalty, instead I find drivel. If this is the best that liberals and progressives can come up with to challenge the most reprehensible thing the state does in the name of its citizens it is no wonder that the US still has the death penalty.

So, morals are drivel to you?

We shouldn't ban something just to be like other countries.

We said the same thing about slavery

We were one of the last nations to abolish that too

The people that said that were right, we should abolish it because it is wrong, not because it looks good.

It demonstrates shifting morals of the world. There was a time when the US set the standards........now we ride the short bus

No, we need to impliment it more often and far quicker. We need to ban scum sitting on death row, sucking up millions of dollars of the tax payer's money in worthless appeals for 10, 20yrs or longer and make the system go from conviction to execution in the same day.

If someone you loved was mistakenly convicted for murder, you would not feel this way.

Another idiotic comparison I see.

It all comes down to morality.

By 1860, most of the world had abandoned the institution of slavery. The US fought to maintain it, led by the same "Bible Belt" states that still cling to Capital Punishment

History repeats itself

New York is a Bible Belt state? They fought long and hard, and managed to reinstate the death penalty in 2005. To be fair, they were pretty reluctant to free their slaves, so you might have a point.

What was the name of the last person NY executed? As a hint......they still used Old Sparky

I agree with you completely. All modern, industrialized, first world nations except the US have abolished the death penalty. We have all indication it does not deter crime. It is only a matter of revenge. It creates, imo, a more violent culture overall, that as well as the quantity and quality of fireams in this country. And the amount of military force we use all over the world. We've become the poster child for a violent society.

Our justice system has become ........lock them up and throw away the key or fry the bastards

The rest of the world has moved forward without locking up a major portion of the population and using execution for vengeance

I agree with you completely. All modern, industrialized, first world nations except the US have abolished the death penalty. We have all indication it does not deter crime. It is only a matter of revenge. It creates, imo, a more violent culture overall, that as well as the quantity and quality of fireams in this country. And the amount of military force we use all over the world. We've become the poster child for a violent society.

Our justice system has become ........lock them up and throw away the key or fry the bastards

The rest of the world has moved forward without locking up a major portion of the population and using execution for vengeance

Many Americans are afraid to look at the rest of the world. They are afraid of what they will discover.

I have no faith in people's ability to determine innocence or guilt and therefore no faith in the jury system.

For that reason alone the death penalty should be abandoned. Life in prison without the possibility of parole suffices. I personally think prisons should be punishment. No TVs no weight rooms etc just a regimented existence until you either serve your sentence or die.

I have no faith in people's ability to determine innocence or guilt and therefore no faith in the jury system.

Then you don't believe in any kind of system of justice and are therefore advocating anarchy. Once again, your limitations are all too clear.

I came into this thread hoping to find a well though out argument opposing the death penalty, instead I find drivel. If this is the best that liberals and progressives can come up with to challenge the most reprehensible thing the state does in the name of its citizens it is no wonder that the US still has the death penalty.

We have killed innocent people,thats all you need to know. Its not in any shape or form effective.

We have killed innocent people,thats all you need to know. Its not in any shape or form effective.

We have put down far far more guilty motherfuckers. And not one of them has ever come back to kill again.

Once a guilty murdering sonofabitch is executed, the recidivism rate for that convicted piece of shit drops to 0.0%.

Remarkably effective.

When you guys make your arguments based on "deterrence," you rarely have the ability to note the distinction between "general" deterrence and "specific" deterrence. This is why your arguments tend to suck.

We have 2 really bad stains on us as a country,capital punishment is one of them,and should go. There is no place in a civilized world for capital punishment.

That's the kind of sentiment that emboldens criminals and causes the taxpayers of this country to have to continually pay for building and operating more jails and prisons and the people to man them. The criminals aren't afraid of getting caught because even if they do, when they go to jail they'll have better accommodations than they could provide on their own if they had to get out and work for a living.
Whatever we do, let's not discourage the criminals. They deserve the most 'civilized' of our behavior.

No, nor do I ever plan to. Yes, I realize that I'm one of those people you absolutely detest - the working class, church-going, gun-wielding, law abiding private citizen who believes criminals should be punished both swiftly and harshly.

No, nor do I ever plan to. Yes, I realize that I'm one of those people you absolutely detest - the working class, church-going, gun-wielding, law abiding private citizen who believes criminals should be punished both swiftly and harshly.

Iran?

Forum List

Back