Time for the US to abolish the Death Penalty

Phew, this thread is a tough read. The rhetoric that is spilling out of everyone’s keyboards is ridiculous. Let’s talk facts for a second, financial cost to taxpayers of capital punishment is several times that of keeping someone in prison for life. The required appeals for death row inmates swamp our justice system preventing them from doing the job of convicting people that haven’t been convicted yet. It creates a statistically high sympathetic view for the inmate. Also, since 1973, 108 people in 25 states have been released from death row because they were found innocent.
We could literally talk for days about the inefficiency of the death penalty, it does not deter crime and it does not bring the victim back to life. It costs the tax payer several times more then if we just kept them rotting away in a cell for the rest of their lives, which in my eyes is a significantly worse punishment. If given the choice at 20 to be incarcerated without any chance at parole or to be put to death in ten odd years, what would you pick? Hell, I’m not staying in prison until I’m 70 to die with just a doctor and priest by my side. Statistically and socially this is not really up for debate. Plain and simple, it doesn’t work, never has, never will.

The purpose of the death penalty isn't deterrence. It's punishment.

"Punishment"? How about REVENGE?

Phew, this thread is a tough read. The rhetoric that is spilling out of everyone’s keyboards is ridiculous. Let’s talk facts for a second, financial cost to taxpayers of capital punishment is several times that of keeping someone in prison for life. The required appeals for death row inmates swamp our justice system preventing them from doing the job of convicting people that haven’t been convicted yet. It creates a statistically high sympathetic view for the inmate. Also, since 1973, 108 people in 25 states have been released from death row because they were found innocent.
We could literally talk for days about the inefficiency of the death penalty, it does not deter crime and it does not bring the victim back to life. It costs the tax payer several times more then if we just kept them rotting away in a cell for the rest of their lives, which in my eyes is a significantly worse punishment. If given the choice at 20 to be incarcerated without any chance at parole or to be put to death in ten odd years, what would you pick? Hell, I’m not staying in prison until I’m 70 to die with just a doctor and priest by my side. Statistically and socially this is not really up for debate. Plain and simple, it doesn’t work, never has, never will.

Good post. But - right church, wrong pew. All of the reasons you state here are valid ones for repealing the death penalty. However, I don't see anything in there about the moral issue raised by the death penalty.

Let me ask you a question - suppose all of the reasons you list here for repealing the death penalty, went away. Now, it is no more expensive than LWOP, it DOES deter crime and they clean up the prisons so LWOP is not so horrible as it now might be.

Would you still be opposed to the death penalty?

There are valid arguments for the maximum penalty.

It's just that there are superior arguments against it.

Because one has no faith in a system does not mean one wants anarchy.

Demonstrating once again that you never learned how to think.

Please enlighten me.

I have no faith in communism as a system so therefore I must be an anarchist. Right Professor Wannabe?

Seems to me you best get that study group together immediately so it can be explained to you.

No, nor do I ever plan to. Yes, I realize that I'm one of those people you absolutely detest - the working class, church-going, gun-wielding, law abiding private citizen who believes criminals should be punished both swiftly and harshly.

Look Cletus, I was just saying that prisons are not a walk in the park.

Their not but people aren't exactly scared to go back. Some people violate their parole on purpose to go back for a little bit and make some money.

Some people find that they cannot function in the real world. Supposedly, Manson begged them not to let him out.

No, nor do I ever plan to. Yes, I realize that I'm one of those people you absolutely detest - the working class, church-going, gun-wielding, law abiding private citizen who believes criminals should be punished both swiftly and harshly.

and you know this because you HAVE spent time in them?

I have spoken to people who have done time and read reports and articles on prisons. No one I know who was in prison enjoyed their time there or thought that it was the easy life.

We have 2 really bad stains on us as a country,capital punishment is one of them,and should go. There is no place in a civilized world for capital punishment.

So coddling criminals serves as a deterrent? :confused: I'm assuming the second stain you mention is abortions out of convenience.

The US is now associated with the barbaric regimes we once condemned in terms of still relying on capital punishment as a remedy for our nations ills

China, Iran, Iraq, Saudi Arabia,Yemen, The United States.....What is wrong with that picture

Thank God we have Texas executing the bulk of our prisoners. We even have conservatives cheering the death count. If Texas were a country, they would rank in the top 10 globally in terms of people executed

Hey, Texas might be leaving.

Their not but people aren't exactly scared to go back. Some people violate their parole on purpose to go back for a little bit and make some money.

Some people find that they cannot function in the real world. Supposedly, Manson begged them not to let him out.

Manson knew they weren't going to parole him anyway, he was just grandstanding.

Good post. But - right church, wrong pew. All of the reasons you state here are valid ones for repealing the death penalty. However, I don't see anything in there about the moral issue raised by the death penalty.

Let me ask you a question - suppose all of the reasons you list here for repealing the death penalty, went away. Now, it is no more expensive than LWOP, it DOES deter crime and they clean up the prisons so LWOP is not so horrible as it now might be.

Would you still be opposed to the death penalty?

The truth is that the death penalty is just barbaric. It is the last remnant of a time when we used public whipping, public hangings in the town square and torture to enact justice.

Like I said, most of the world has realized this and abandoned the practice. The US, once again being led by rightwing zealots clutching a bible are blocking any attempts to ban executions. They actually cheered Rick Perry for his off the charts death toll

The death penalty isn't nearly as barbaric as the crimes committed to be sentenced to death.

Manson knew they weren't going to parole him anyway, he was just grandstanding.

This was before the famous murders.

The death penalty isn't nearly as barbaric as the crimes committed to be sentenced to death.

Do we allow criminals to set our moral bar?

No we enforce standards of morality by removing the worst of the worst from consideration and support. I don't know how many death row inmates you have met personally. If you met a few you would agree that death row is much improved the fewer of them there are.

Forum List

Back