Time to Pull the Plug on EV’s

I just realized that if I buy an EV car that'll need a new battery every 10 years that if they cost $22,000 to replace today, I better expect to pay about $30,000 in ten years! And to do that, one would have to set aside $250 a MONTH, every month, just to save up to keep the car on the road, then there is the actual cost of charging the thing every day + any other service.

I was going to buy a used Lexus 450H from a friend but changed my mind when I asked the dealer what it would cost to swap the battery. I was told $6,000. Where'd you hear $22,000?

Ahh... cerebral flatulence, hybrid vs EV.

At, say, $4/gal, $22K would buy 5,500 gallons of gas. At, say, 32 mpg, that would take you $176,000 miles.

At, say, $4/gal, $22K would buy 5,500 gallons of gas. At, say, 32 mpg, that would take you $176,000 miles.
Plus, that $22k battery needs charged over that 176,000 miles, so that's to factor in too. So the Tesla owner will probably not breakeven until about 200,000 miles.

The Achilles’ heel of vehicle electrification is the lithium-ion battery, an inefficient, costly and vulnerable energy-storage system plagued by issues of weight, energy density, low performance in cold weather and grid adequacy — and now also by skyrocketing prices of the key minerals it requires: lithium, cobalt and nickel.

The electric mobility paradigm needs to be recognized for what it has been: a technical and fiscal flop. It should be shelved before it precipitates a serious meltdown of the automotive industry.

It should also be noted it takes over 500,000 pounds of earth to be moved by diesel guzzling machines to make ONE EV battery.

EV sales up 80% this year

I just realized that if I buy an EV car that'll need a new battery every 10 years that if they cost $22,000 to replace today, I better expect to pay about $30,000 in ten years! And to do that, one would have to set aside $250 a MONTH, every month, just to save up to keep the car on the road, then there is the actual cost of charging the thing every day + any other service.
Not to mention WAITING for it to charge. WAITING is a waste of life.

Not to mention WAITING for it to charge. WAITING is a waste of life.

To me as a retired engineer, it seems to me that the way I would approach the EV car issue is to eliminate the charging altogether. When you pull in to fill your tank, you get refined fuel ready to go, you don't wait for bog rot to decompose again into crude oil, likewise, the way I'd do EVs is standardize their size and voltage and make them easy to swap out in seconds just like you swap out batteries in a remote.

You'd pull into the station, robot arms would come up under the car to release and take the discharged battery then insert a new one---- always new, always fully charged. About 5 minutes. When a battery no longer had full storage capacity, it would be sent into the factor and rebuilt.

Fast charging is dangerous and bad for the battery but slow charging takes hours.

To me as a retired engineer, it seems to me that the way I would approach the EV car issue is to eliminate the charging altogether. When you pull in to fill your tank, you get refined fuel ready to go, you don't wait for bog rot to decompose again into crude oil, likewise, the way I'd do EVs is standardize their size and voltage and make them easy to swap out in seconds just like you swap out batteries in a remote.

You'd pull into the station, robot arms would come up under the car to release and take the discharged battery then insert a new one---- always new, always fully charged. About 5 minutes. When a battery no longer had full storage capacity, it would be sent into the factor and rebuilt.

Fast charging is dangerous and bad for the battery but slow charging takes hours.
That would be the way to do it. But that's not what they are doing is it?

Forum List

Back