Tiny Houses...the ultimate insanity?

sounds like a cash cow to me

You're telling me...On the show "Tiny House Hunters"...this couple is looking for a Tiny House...they go to a "builder"....who openly says he builds the home from a kit and can finish in a weekend. It is JUST A SHELL. No electrical/plumbing/insulation/interior walls - literally a shell.
The cost?? - $40,000!!!!!
The cost of the kits online?...between $6000 - $10000!!!!
This guy stands to make up to $34,000 a weekend to assemble a kit!!!

Where do I find people this gullible???
When you build a regular house the builder puts up the "shell".
The the electrical, heating ect. Is done by one or more subcontractors.
What's your point?

:eusa_eh:
The point?
The point is the comedy of these two people, and all others like them, who after paying someone $30,000 to bolt together some panels and nail shingles on it - they then spend months spending many hours doing work that is 100 times more complicated and labor intensive....so...how did they not have the confidence to assemble a kit - but can do everything else?
It is just simply dumb beyond comprehension that people do this.
But funny
Right?

Like they say a fool and their money are soon parted.
Tiny houses, tiny brains.
Were these tiny homes at one time called trailers mobile homes?

You're telling me...On the show "Tiny House Hunters"...this couple is looking for a Tiny House...they go to a "builder"....who openly says he builds the home from a kit and can finish in a weekend. It is JUST A SHELL. No electrical/plumbing/insulation/interior walls - literally a shell.

What's your point?
Uhm no. Homes are built by general contractors that sub out almost everything. They may or may not have a crew of their own. Some are just paper contractors. Electical, plumbing, HVAC, requires specialty licensing so those are always subbed out.
I just said that , thanks for confirming.

Like they say a fool and their money are soon parted.
Tiny houses, tiny brains.
Were these tiny homes at one time called trailers mobile homes?

I don't think anything like this has existed before in America. Trailers/Mobile homes are 2-3 times the size of these things. They range from 180 to 600 sq. ft. - beyond that it is not considered a "tiny home". Average is around 400 - 500 from reading about them.

When I was in my 20s the idea of a tiny house on a small plot of land would have appealed to me

But then again I would have built the house myself

I suspect there's state/muni regulation involved in the couple overpaying so much for the shell. Like up here, you have to have an inspector come check out your nat gas, wiring, and I believe sometimes even plumbing; for sure septic and wells have to be approved.

----

I personally don't really get the tiny house living thing, I like big open spaces, but I actually know quite a few who think they're awesome. No idea why honestly, but I'll ask em :)

The skyrocketing of the cost of renting an apartment is the cause of this. Many rents, even in poorer areas, is approaching the cost of a house payment a month. The gap is getting very narrow. If you listen to those who go the tiny house route they say "rent is burning money, better to pay it into equity than flush it down the toilet".

But since buying a normal sized home requires a large down-payment, the tiny home option is the most appealing and has the biggest bang for the buck.

in the democrat camp of course

run ads in various enviro magazines and websites

--LOL

One of the trends of millennials is minimalism; rejecting the materialism and excesses of my generation.
But Tiny Houses?
How is it not the ultimate insanity to pay up to $160 per sq ft. of living space? You have insane people paying as much as $100,000 when all done...for a "home" and small land parcel that doesn't have a toilet that flushes.
How does this make sense?

You can build your own, you know.

The skyrocketing of the cost of renting an apartment is the cause of this. Many rents, even in poorer areas, is approaching the cost of a house payment a month. The gap is getting very narrow. If you listen to those who go the tiny house route they say "rent is burning money, better to pay it into equity than flush it down the toilet".

But since buying a normal sized home requires a large down-payment, the tiny home option is the most appealing and has the biggest bang for the buck.

Rent here is absolutely outrageous.
ONE Bdrm apartments in a decent complex is averaging $750-$800 a month. ONE bedroom.
So...what you are saying makes sense actually.

That has /always/ been the case. Renting is always paying someone else's mortgage and doing nothing for ones own families future.

I don't know about the lower 48, but the gap has always been narrow up here, presently it's like $800/m for a small apartment, $1500/m to rent a house. The mortgage on a decent house runs $900-2000ish. When I got out of HS in 1989, my now ex-husband and I bought a house because rent was about the same as the mortgage would be; we flipped that investment multiple times, then split it out and reinvested in separate homes a few years after our divorce. Now both of us have homes with our new spouses, all from an initial investment in a trailer lol

ONE Bdrm apartments in a decent complex is averaging $750-$800 a month. ONE bedroom.

I think nationally rent use to be 1/4 of household income, now it is approaching 1/2. Something has to give.

Can you find links for that? I don't think it was ever that close. (I gotta run to a meeting or I'd look it up.)

Some people like to live on boats, some people like RV's and some people enjoy boat/RV sized houses. In the greatest Country in the world the choice (so far) is yours.

I'll see if I can dig up what I was reading. but it suggested Obambam's goones from Hud or one of those Wonderful Guberment agencies was going to make living in an RV. illegal. according to them, they are suppose to only be used for traveling. so these tiny homes with wheels will eventually be out lawed by our MASTERS WHO make our rules that we have to abide
I read that...just another way for the government to control us. The truth is that the tiny house movement is as much about getting off the grid and away from the taxes as it is about minimalism.

I don't think they realize that these tiny homes will not have the investment potential of a real house. They will depreciate over time, like rvs and mobile homes do.

You're lucky, here one bedrooms are renting for more than $1,000

What's your point?

The point?
The point is the comedy of these two people, and all others like them, who after paying someone $30,000 to bolt together some panels and nail shingles on it - they then spend months spending many hours doing work that is 100 times more complicated and labor intensive....so...how did they not have the confidence to assemble a kit - but can do everything else?
But funny

I can see your point. but they do come up with some nifty ideas on how to use things . I saw one you could pull out your BBQ, one was a sewing machine, pull it up snap it into place and then stash them back into the wall, cabinet, and stored out of site when done with it. I think that's interesting. now as for living in one, I probably could being single. Some couples maybe. Families no way in hell

What's your point?

The point?
But funny

I can see your point. but they do come up with some nifty ideas on how to use things for many different use. I saw one you could pull out your BBQ, one was a sewing machine pull it up snap it into place and then stash them back into the wall, cabinet, and stored out of site when done with it. I think that's interesting. now as for living in one, I probably could being single. Some couples maybe. Families no way in hell

I know a family with 2 kids that live in a tiny home on wheels.

Forum List

Back