Tiny Houses...the ultimate insanity?

One of the trends of millennials is minimalism; rejecting the materialism and excesses of my generation.
But Tiny Houses?
How is it not the ultimate insanity to pay up to $160 per sq ft. of living space? You have insane people paying as much as $100,000 when all done...for a "home" and small land parcel that doesn't have a toilet that flushes.
How does this make sense?

there have always been people who liked downsizing their lives..... at least temporarily.

what percentage of "millenniels" do you believe makes this a "trend" as opposed to something people are doing.

and maybe people would rather live in something affordable that is small than live someplace where they have to hear their neighbor's television through the walls.

also an awful lot of people are now out of the housing market because middle class wages aren't keeping up with inflation (which we've been saying for a long time)

finally, you're awfully judgmental about something you don't understand.

just saying.

Judgmental?? - what are you talking about...show me where I was judging someone.
I said it is insane to pay $100,000 for an extremely small living space that will depreciate in value.
I see a LOT of underwater people who, after realizing they don't like living is such a tiny space, cannot get out from under a large mortgage - so they are stuck.

This tiny house is going for $16K new. You don't know what you're talking about.

What is wrong with you people?
Can people not read...or is it just that I am perceived to be on the opposite side of the political spectrum and you think you have a duty to provide argument...even when there isn't one there?

There are Tiny Houses cheaper than $16k. SO???
There are Tiny Houses for $100k and more also...SO???

Jesus.... this forum sometimes...:blahblah:

And your OP is BS. The average amount a person will spend on a Tiny home is around $35K. The young kids buying these homes are putting them on their parents property. Most people who purchase a tiny home are not purchasing land.

The point of having a tiny home is to be mobile, you idiot.

Sorry - but like ClosedCaption your just being a jerk.
There is no sense calling people names for no reason other than you disagree with something. It is immature and shows a lack of character. If your reading comprehension cannot properly understand what someone is saying - then it is better to just say nothing at all.
And as for "average prices" for a Tiny House - there is no average price, just as there is no average price for a regular house. It depends entirely on what the person is wanting sizewise and featurewise

there have always been people who liked downsizing their lives..... at least temporarily.

what percentage of "millenniels" do you believe makes this a "trend" as opposed to something people are doing.

and maybe people would rather live in something affordable that is small than live someplace where they have to hear their neighbor's television through the walls.

also an awful lot of people are now out of the housing market because middle class wages aren't keeping up with inflation (which we've been saying for a long time)

finally, you're awfully judgmental about something you don't understand.

just saying.

Judgmental?? - what are you talking about...show me where I was judging someone.
I said it is insane to pay $100,000 for an extremely small living space that will depreciate in value.
I see a LOT of underwater people who, after realizing they don't like living is such a tiny space, cannot get out from under a large mortgage - so they are stuck.

This tiny house is going for $16K new. You don't know what you're talking about.

What is wrong with you people?
Can people not read...or is it just that I am perceived to be on the opposite side of the political spectrum and you think you have a duty to provide argument...even when there isn't one there?

There are Tiny Houses cheaper than $16k. SO???
There are Tiny Houses for $100k and more also...SO???

Jesus.... this forum sometimes...:blahblah:

And your OP is BS. The average amount a person will spend on a Tiny home is around $35K. The young kids buying these homes are putting them on their parents property. Most people who purchase a tiny home are not purchasing land.

The point of having a tiny home is to be mobile, you idiot.

Sorry - but like ClosedCaption your just being a jerk.
There is no sense calling people names for no reason other than you disagree with something. It is immature and shows a lack of character. If your reading comprehension cannot properly understand what someone is saying - then it is better to just say nothing at all.
And as for "average prices" for a Tiny House - there is no average price, just as there is no average price for a regular house. It depends entirely on what the person is wanting sizewise and featurewise

You just don't want to admit that your entire thread premise has failed.

And that's "you're" not "your".

Okay... I was actually looking into some of these freaks "tiny house" furniture links and I have a confession to make... Some of this stuff is pretty damn neat lol

25 Cool Transforming Furnitures – EListMania

This is just one at the link. Amazing

5_new.jpg

Someone may have mentioned this by now - but can you imagine the trouble ahead for young couples getting one of these? People argue...and here they will be trapped in one space with each other - angry. That is not good. Couples having a spat - especially in the winter - can't get away from each other to calm down.

Okay... I was actually looking into some of these freaks "tiny house" furniture links and I have a confession to make... Some of this stuff is pretty damn neat lol

25 Cool Transforming Furnitures – EListMania

you're incredibly intellectually limited and judgmental, as I said before.

freaks, really?

:cuckoo:

It was a joke, these are actually my friends as I had noted previously in this thread.

Shall we discuss /your/ intellectual limited and judgemental attitude?

Oh that's right, you're the one who can't figure out how to operate a web browser. Here ya go:

I suspect there's state/muni regulation involved in the couple overpaying so much for the shell. Like up here, you have to have an inspector come check out your nat gas, wiring, and I believe sometimes even plumbing; for sure septic and wells have to be approved.

----

I personally don't really get the tiny house living thing, I like big open spaces, but I actually know quite a few who think they're awesome. No idea why honestly, but I'll ask em :)

idk. I was talking to a long time friend of mine, him and his wife are totally on board this tiny house thing, they've apparently bought 1/2 acre of land and are dropping a... well frankly the shed we put the lawn mower in is bigger than this thing... 300sq ft "tiny house" on it in three months. They are totally thrilled with it though, having multi purpose "foldable" furniture custom made by a Danish artist guy (that's costing them more than the house itself) and doing all kinds of "artsy" shit for it. His wife's an artist and I guess it's a "thing" to have a tiny house and do it up all "studio" in her circle...

Hell if I know, I don't get it at all. I like big open spaces, the bigger the better, and big furniture too, oversized recliners and cherry sleigh beds kind of stuff. ~shrug~

How is it not the ultimate insanity to pay up to $160 per sq ft. of living space? You have insane people paying as much as $100,000 when all done...for a "home" and small land parcel that doesn't have a toilet that flushes.
How does this make sense?

The reason it doesnt make sense is because you're lying. Tiny homes dont cost that much

I've been looking and yes, some of them cost that much, some of them cost much more, some much less. I guess it depends one where you are looking, Seattle is a high cost of living area and they sell them for a lot of money. My friends bought a shell and they are putting in the interior themselves. The shell cost them more than $20,000, but it's a beautiful shell.

Buying the shell and building yourself is the only way this makes sense to me. (Financially)
Once built - the initial investment from doing everything on your own - say about $40,000 will increase in value to more around $70,000 at current market value. Trouble is, you can probably only live in it for 5 years or so before the depreciation starts to catch up.

I read that the average time people spend living in their tiny homes is about 18 months.

They can start out small and add on as they go; depends on zoning laws and how big a rip-off the local govts. are.

Back in the 'good old days' buying house kits from companies like Sears was pretty common from the late 19th century on, and people would start small and add to them as the family grew or they needed more room.

Being poor was also a lot different in the past as well; even in a city like Chicago or New York City a family could keep a cow or two, chickens, pigs, whatever, behind the house as well. Most can't do that any more; can't keep a milk cow out on the patio or balcony of your apartment without your neighbors or the management running and sniveling to the cops.

I can only do all that because when I bought my parcel of 20 acres it was already zoned agricultural and grandfathered in by the state and the Burbs grew out around me, so the developers and their city council cronies can't do squat about it.

I'm not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing, but now, thanks to all the immigrants, our city governments are letting people have chickens, problem is you must have a huge lot and can only have 3 and no rooster. I hear roosters all the time.

The reason it doesnt make sense is because you're lying. Tiny homes dont cost that much

I've been looking and yes, some of them cost that much, some of them cost much more, some much less. I guess it depends one where you are looking, Seattle is a high cost of living area and they sell them for a lot of money. My friends bought a shell and they are putting in the interior themselves. The shell cost them more than $20,000, but it's a beautiful shell.

Buying the shell and building yourself is the only way this makes sense to me. (Financially)
Once built - the initial investment from doing everything on your own - say about $40,000 will increase in value to more around $70,000 at current market value. Trouble is, you can probably only live in it for 5 years or so before the depreciation starts to catch up.

I read that the average time people spend living in their tiny homes is about 18 months.

They can start out small and add on as they go; depends on zoning laws and how big a rip-off the local govts. are.

Back in the 'good old days' buying house kits from companies like Sears was pretty common from the late 19th century on, and people would start small and add to them as the family grew or they needed more room.

Being poor was also a lot different in the past as well; even in a city like Chicago or New York City a family could keep a cow or two, chickens, pigs, whatever, behind the house as well. Most can't do that any more; can't keep a milk cow out on the patio or balcony of your apartment without your neighbors or the management running and sniveling to the cops.

I can only do all that because when I bought my parcel of 20 acres it was already zoned agricultural and grandfathered in by the state and the Burbs grew out around me, so the developers and their city council cronies can't do squat about it.

I'm not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing, but now, thanks to all the immigrants, our city governments are letting people have chickens, problem is you must have a huge lot and can only have 3 and no rooster. I hear roosters all the time.

IMO it's becoming more and more a dire necessity. My own town has a ridiculous requirement of charging $75 per chicken for people to keep them, and yes they can only have 3 laying hens and no roosters. It's ridiculous. But, there are more and more communities taking over vacant lots in the poorer neighborhoods and planting truck gardens, and of course Detroit is into that big time now, with acreage being planted all over, even with wheat and other grains.

Since both 'parties' are now doing their level best to drive the country back to the 19th century, I see this trend increasing, and woe to the politicians and developers who try and stop it.

Name one Republican politician that has authored or sponsored a bill the had benefit to the middle class without giving an excess to the rich/wealthy or corporations?
Anyone that supported lowering taxes.

Anyone that supported lowering taxes.

Which is my point. Republicans authored legislation lowering taxes for the rich/wealthy and corporations more than the middle class.

IMO it's becoming more and more a dire necessity. My own town has a ridiculous requirement of charging $75 per chicken for people to keep them, and yes they can only have 3 laying hens and no roosters. It's ridiculous. But, there are more and more communities taking over vacant lots in the poorer neighborhoods and planting truck gardens, and of course Detroit is into that big time now, with acreage being planted all over, even with wheat and other grains.

Since both 'parties' are now doing their level best to drive the country back to the 19th century, I see this trend increasing, and woe to the politicians and developers who try and stop it.

Just sayin' when I was a kid (I am 51..so 1970's)...virtually everyone I knew had some kind of garden. People use to grow gardens in their backyards all the time. For some reason that stopped. I would say fewer than 10% grow gardens anymore. Here anyway

Just sayin' when I was a kid (I am 51..so 1970's)...virtually everyone I knew had some kind of garden. People use to grow gardens in their backyards all the time. For some reason that stopped. I would say fewer than 10% grow gardens anymore. Here anyway

Zero lot line homes to boost corporate profit.

Mom had to go to work to make ends meet.

Just buy a motorhome.

Just buy a motor home.

Cost of maintenance. A tiny house will have maintenance, but it will be the same cost as a typical home.

As I've stated before; Tiny homes are the travel trailer/5th wheel of the near future. Better made, safer, will last 30 years.

Some people like living without the distractions. If its not for you, then don't do it. Why would you care if others do?

Speaking of chickens, I heard part of a local news story today about a town just passing an ordinance to limit the number of chickens one can have there to 6, and no roosters. the catalyst was rooster noise. Didn't hear the whole story but it did point out keeping chickens was getting very popular there. Roosters are usually noisy early in the mornings, not all day long, so my guess is it's stray cats and dogs, urban noises, etc. setting them off all day and night. Don't know why everybody would need a rooster; keep one or two for a neighborhood is more than enough, just move them around every few weeks or so.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back