Tiny Houses...the ultimate insanity?

Some people like to live on boats, some people like RV's and some people enjoy boat/RV sized houses. In the greatest Country in the world the choice (so far) is yours.

Yes.. it's tiny inside a boat....then again...instead of living on the street .... like a bag lady/man....better to live in a tiny space I guess:dunno:

The skyrocketing of the cost of renting an apartment is the cause of this. Many rents, even in poorer areas, is approaching the cost of a house payment a month. The gap is getting very narrow. If you listen to those who go the tiny house route they say "rent is burning money, better to pay it into equity than flush it down the toilet".

But since buying a normal sized home requires a large down-payment, the tiny home option is the most appealing and has the biggest bang for the buck.

Rent here is absolutely outrageous.
ONE Bdrm apartments in a decent complex is averaging $750-$800 a month. ONE bedroom.
So...what you are saying makes sense actually.

I think nationally rent use to be 1/4 of household income, now it is approaching 1/2. Something has to give.

I think nationally rent use to be 1/4 of household income, now it is approaching 1/2. Something has to give.

Stop voting for Republicans.

Excuse me moron, what alternative universe do you live in?

Have no fear,Barry is creating another housing bubble so the prices should be dropping soon...
http://nypost.com/2016/03/12/obama-is-setting-us-up-for-another-housing-crash/

Have no fear,Barry is creating another housing bubble so the prices should be dropping soon...

Total bullshit. Not enforcing existing regulations is what caused the 2007-2008 crash.

One of the trends of millennials is minimalism; rejecting the materialism and excesses of my generation.
But Tiny Houses?
How is it not the ultimate insanity to pay up to $160 per sq ft. of living space? You have insane people paying as much as $100,000 when all done...for a "home" and small land parcel that doesn't have a toilet that flushes.
How does this make sense?

there have always been people who liked downsizing their lives..... at least temporarily.

what percentage of "millenniels" do you believe makes this a "trend" as opposed to something people are doing.

and maybe people would rather live in something affordable that is small than live someplace where they have to hear their neighbor's television through the walls.

also an awful lot of people are now out of the housing market because middle class wages aren't keeping up with inflation (which we've been saying for a long time)

finally, you're awfully judgmental about something you don't understand.

just saying.

Judgmental?? - what are you talking about...show me where I was judging someone.
I said it is insane to pay $100,000 for an extremely small living space that will depreciate in value.
I see a LOT of underwater people who, after realizing they don't like living is such a tiny space, cannot get out from under a large mortgage - so they are stuck.

This tiny house is going for $16K new. You don't know what you're talking about.

One of the trends of millennials is minimalism; rejecting the materialism and excesses of my generation.
But Tiny Houses?
How is it not the ultimate insanity to pay up to $160 per sq ft. of living space? You have insane people paying as much as $100,000 when all done...for a "home" and small land parcel that doesn't have a toilet that flushes.

there have always been people who liked downsizing their lives..... at least temporarily.

what percentage of "millenniels" do you believe makes this a "trend" as opposed to something people are doing.

and maybe people would rather live in something affordable that is small than live someplace where they have to hear their neighbor's television through the walls.

also an awful lot of people are now out of the housing market because middle class wages aren't keeping up with inflation (which we've been saying for a long time)

just saying.

Judgmental?? - what are you talking about...show me where I was judging someone.
I said it is insane to pay $100,000 for an extremely small living space that will depreciate in value.
I see a LOT of underwater people who, after realizing they don't like living is such a tiny space, cannot get out from under a large mortgage - so they are stuck.

This tiny house is going for $16K new. You don't know what you're talking about.

What is wrong with you people?
Can people not read...or is it just that I am perceived to be on the opposite side of the political spectrum and you think you have a duty to provide argument...even when there isn't one there?

There are Tiny Houses cheaper than $16k. SO???
There are Tiny Houses for $100k and more also...SO???

Jesus.... this forum sometimes...:blahblah:

Haven't read this whole thread but I assume it's been brought up that not all tiny homes are on wheels? They're just much smaller permanent houses and thus not caught up in all the RV discussions.

My brother and I are currently in the process of researching adding a tiny house to vacation property we own that already has a house we designed and co-own. What we've learned so far is there's a nearly endless variety of ways to go, from all stick-built to various types of prefab, some of which offer various design options and whatnot. For now we're thinking something in the 400 sq. ft. range but that's likely subject to change as things move along.

Ya know, back in the day there was this thing... "Modular" housing or something (they weren't small) but I recall the local HUD and zoning boards cracking down to get rid of them for some reason or another (I'm afraid I can't recall why - I just remember we were looking for an upgrade house and the real estate person who was showing us a couple places that day, cause our regular gal had an emergency, mentioned that HUD had just started not covering the modular houses or some such.)

Anchorage went through a thing a while back getting rid of trailers - there's only like two parks left in the entire muni (like 2k sq miles.) I seem to recall MatSu (Wasilla/Palmer) nearly rioting cause Anchorage was pushing them to do the same (lots of "good ol boys" out in the Valley.)

Rent here is absolutely outrageous.
ONE Bdrm apartments in a decent complex is averaging $750-$800 a month. ONE bedroom.
So...what you are saying makes sense actually.

Stop voting for Republicans.

Excuse me moron, what alternative universe do you live in?

Total bullshit. Not enforcing existing regulations is what caused the 2007-2008 crash.

Some people like to live on boats, some people like RV's and some people enjoy boat/RV sized houses. In the greatest Country in the world the choice (so far) is yours.

I'll see if I can dig up what I was reading. but it suggested Obambam's goones from Hud or one of those Wonderful Guberment agencies was going to make living in an RV. illegal. according to them, they are suppose to only be used for traveling. so these tiny homes with wheels will eventually be out lawed by our MASTERS WHO make our rules that we have to abide

Obama has been reading Stephanie's posts, That is why he is making trailers illegal.

She will be living in a box

The skyrocketing of the cost of renting an apartment is the cause of this. Many rents, even in poorer areas, is approaching the cost of a house payment a month. The gap is getting very narrow. If you listen to those who go the tiny house route they say "rent is burning money, better to pay it into equity than flush it down the toilet".

But since buying a normal sized home requires a large down-payment, the tiny home option is the most appealing and has the biggest bang for the buck.

I've watched the show and most of them make little sense

They are paying as much as you would for a home that is 600-900 sq feet. For one person, I can see a 200 sq ft home, but two people would go crazy

idk. I was talking to a long time friend of mine, him and his wife are totally on board this tiny house thing, they've apparently bought 1/2 acre of land and are dropping a... well frankly the shed we put the lawn mower in is bigger than this thing... 300sq ft "tiny house" on it in three months. They are totally thrilled with it though, having multi purpose "foldable" furniture custom made by a Danish artist guy (that's costing them more than the house itself) and doing all kinds of "artsy" shit for it. His wife's an artist and I guess it's a "thing" to have a tiny house and do it up all "studio" in her circle...

Hell if I know, I don't get it at all. I like big open spaces, the bigger the better, and big furniture too, oversized recliners and cherry sleigh beds kind of stuff. ~shrug~

I like the concept.

But build your own house on your own land.

If I were single I would love a small house, one room, one floor

I wouldn't mind having one for my recording studio cause it'd be easier to isolate from background noise in the house, I'd add or for the endless pool, but it wouldn't fit in it lol

Luxury+ice+house.jpg

Okay, now see, I've seen RV's conversions bigger than that... Fine for a "camping" trip, but I simply cannot imagine living there full time. My dog would fill that kitchen... (He's 140# rotten huskey)

I just need a toilet, shower, small kitchen, and a place to sleep (and internet, of course) ;)

But Tiny Houses?

just saying.

What is wrong with you people?
Can people not read...or is it just that I am perceived to be on the opposite side of the political spectrum and you think you have a duty to provide argument...even when there isn't one there?

There are Tiny Houses cheaper than $16k. SO???
There are Tiny Houses for $100k and more also...SO???

Jesus.... this forum sometimes...:blahblah:

And your OP is BS. The average amount a person will spend on a Tiny home is around $35K. The young kids buying these homes are putting them on their parents property. Most people who purchase a tiny home are not purchasing land.

The point of having a tiny home is to be mobile, you idiot.

Forum List

Back