Tiny Houses...the ultimate insanity?

How is it not the ultimate insanity to pay up to $160 per sq ft. of living space? You have insane people paying as much as $100,000 when all done...for a "home" and small land parcel that doesn't have a toilet that flushes.
How does this make sense?

The reason it doesnt make sense is because you're lying. Tiny homes dont cost that much

I've been looking and yes, some of them cost that much, some of them cost much more, some much less. I guess it depends one where you are looking, Seattle is a high cost of living area and they sell them for a lot of money. My friends bought a shell and they are putting in the interior themselves. The shell cost them more than $20,000, but it's a beautiful shell.

One of the trends of millennials is minimalism; rejecting the materialism and excesses of my generation.
But Tiny Houses?
How is it not the ultimate insanity to pay up to $160 per sq ft. of living space? You have insane people paying as much as $100,000 when all done...for a "home" and small land parcel that doesn't have a toilet that flushes.

there have always been people who liked downsizing their lives..... at least temporarily.

what percentage of "millenniels" do you believe makes this a "trend" as opposed to something people are doing.

and maybe people would rather live in something affordable that is small than live someplace where they have to hear their neighbor's television through the walls.

also an awful lot of people are now out of the housing market because middle class wages aren't keeping up with inflation (which we've been saying for a long time)

finally, you're awfully judgmental about something you don't understand.

just saying.

Judgmental?? - what are you talking about...show me where I was judging someone.
I said it is insane to pay $100,000 for an extremely small living space that will depreciate in value.
I see a LOT of underwater people who, after realizing they don't like living is such a tiny space, cannot get out from under a large mortgage - so they are stuck.

The reason it doesnt make sense is because you're lying. Tiny homes dont cost that much

I've been looking and yes, some of them cost that much, some of them cost much more, some much less. I guess it depends one where you are looking, Seattle is a high cost of living area and they sell them for a lot of money. My friends bought a shell and they are putting in the interior themselves. The shell cost them more than $20,000, but it's a beautiful shell.

Buying the shell and building yourself is the only way this makes sense to me. (Financially)
Once built - the initial investment from doing everything on your own - say about $40,000 will increase in value to more around $70,000 at current market value. Trouble is, you can probably only live in it for 5 years or so before the depreciation starts to catch up.

Of course it does but again, Even that home doesnt cost $100K and the OP presented it like $100K with no toilet is the norm. Its not, thats why it didnt make sense.

From my limited exposure via the TV show "Tiny Househunters" - a documetary on Netflix - and then poking around various websites looking at prices - I would say that a compost toilet is quite common in these homes. I would wager half or better.
And I said up to $100,000 for a tiny house - after everything done, which includes a few acres of land to put it on.

Yes they can cost that much or even higher, and if you read - I said "after everything is done" which I also meant an acre or two of land to put it on.
WHat kind of jackass are you to just accuse someone of lying and you have no idea what you are talking about?

Here are some that is $100k WITHOUT LAND...so f*ck off dick.
Molecule Tiny Homes: Pricing
Are we losing the Soul of the Tiny House Movement? | The Tiny Project | Mini Houses. More Life.

Last edited:
Of course there are some that cost $100K but that isnt common dickhead. Its like complaining about people who like ball point pens by claiming they cost $100 and then saying "THERE ARE SOME THAT COST THAT MUCH!!"

Of course there are some that cost $100K but that isnt common dickhead. Its like complaining about people who like ball point pens by claiming they cost $100 and then saying "THERE ARE SOME THAT COST THAT MUCH!!"

Sorry no, your just being a jackass.
If you think the original OP is saying that paying $100k is the norm - then your reading comprehension is flawed.
I said UP TO - and AS MUCH AS...that is not indicating NORM - that is indicating THE HIGHEST PRICES.
With Tiny Homes there is no norm. Some are as little as $20k full in...others are now becoming OVER $100k...many-many-many are $60-$70k before a land purchase.
THAT is insane.

$100,000 to me is really cheap. There are condos the same size that go for half a million with no land at all.

I'm going to point out that the first link of yours that I clicked on came up as "dubious/unsavory" in my filter.

just saying.

LOL your filter doesn't like the US governments pages? It's the same census.gov site as the second one heh

the one I clicked on was not the fist link in your post.

if it was the US govt, my filter wouldn't have blocked it.

try again

Look at the address of the page, it's
Code:
http://www.census.gov/hhes/www/housing/census/historic/values.html

One of the trends of millennials is minimalism; rejecting the materialism and excesses of my generation.
But Tiny Houses?

there have always been people who liked downsizing their lives..... at least temporarily.

what percentage of "millenniels" do you believe makes this a "trend" as opposed to something people are doing.

and maybe people would rather live in something affordable that is small than live someplace where they have to hear their neighbor's television through the walls.

also an awful lot of people are now out of the housing market because middle class wages aren't keeping up with inflation (which we've been saying for a long time)

finally, you're awfully judgmental about something you don't understand.

just saying.

Judgmental?? - what are you talking about...show me where I was judging someone.
I said it is insane to pay $100,000 for an extremely small living space that will depreciate in value.
I see a LOT of underwater people who, after realizing they don't like living is such a tiny space, cannot get out from under a large mortgage - so they are stuck.

and I asked for something showing actual numbers of people doing this and actual values.

judgmental is you defining it at insanity while relying on a "because I said so" set of "facts".

I'm going to point out that the first link of yours that I clicked on came up as "dubious/unsavory" in my filter.

just saying.

LOL your filter doesn't like the US governments pages? It's the same census.gov site as the second one heh

the one I clicked on was not the fist link in your post.

if it was the US govt, my filter wouldn't have blocked it.

try again

Look at the address of the page, it's
Code:

you had multiple links. that wasn't the one. I told you that before.

but thanks anyway.

The fact that you don't know how to read a websites address while visiting it, nor cut n paste a website address into your browser, is not my problem heh

First link - housing values - (the one you claimed wasn't a government site):
Code:

Second link - rent rates:
Code:
https://www.census.gov/hhes/www/housing/census/historic/grossrents.html

Third link - incomes:
Code:
http://www.davemanuel.com/median-household-income.php

Some people like to live on boats, some people like RV's and some people enjoy boat/RV sized houses. In the greatest Country in the world the choice (so far) is yours.
---------------------------- yep , I like the tiny houses but i'd do a homebuilt tiny house . What's not to like . Its cheaper to heat and cool , composting toilet is fine , a small kitchen with outdoor barbecue or outdoor grilling is right up my alley . Compost goes in the woods or around plants and flowers . Grey water feeds the trees , bushes and flowers . Sounds ok to me .

Some people like to live on boats, some people like RV's and some people enjoy boat/RV sized houses. In the greatest Country in the world the choice (so far) is yours.
---------------------------- yep , I like the tiny houses but i'd do a homebuilt tiny house . What's not to like . Its cheaper to heat and cool , composting toilet is fine , a small kitchen with outdoor barbecue or outdoor grilling is right up my alley . Compost goes in the woods or around plants and flowers . Grey water feeds the trees , bushes and flowers . Sounds ok to me .
I've been doing it for years, the tree frogs really like the grey runoff....

and the concept of minimalism makes sense to me except in the area of money and small portable valuables .

Buying the shell and building yourself is the only way this makes sense to me. (Financially)
Once built - the initial investment from doing everything on your own - say about $40,000 will increase in value to more around $70,000 at current market value. Trouble is, you can probably only live in it for 5 years or so before the depreciation starts to catch up.

I read that the average time people spend living in their tiny homes is about 18 months.

I read that the average time people spend living in their tiny homes is about 18 months.

They can start out small and add on as they go; depends on zoning laws and how big a rip-off the local govts. are.

Back in the 'good old days' buying house kits from companies like Sears was pretty common from the late 19th century on, and people would start small and add to them as the family grew or they needed more room.

Being poor was also a lot different in the past as well; even in a city like Chicago or New York City a family could keep a cow or two, chickens, pigs, whatever, behind the house as well. Most can't do that any more; can't keep a milk cow out on the patio or balcony of your apartment without your neighbors or the management running and sniveling to the cops.

I can only do all that because when I bought my parcel of 20 acres it was already zoned agricultural and grandfathered in by the state and the Burbs grew out around me, so the developers and their city council cronies can't do squat about it.

Last edited:
The skyrocketing of the cost of renting an apartment is the cause of this. Many rents, even in poorer areas, is approaching the cost of a house payment a month. The gap is getting very narrow. If you listen to those who go the tiny house route they say "rent is burning money, better to pay it into equity than flush it down the toilet".

But since buying a normal sized home requires a large down-payment, the tiny home option is the most appealing and has the biggest bang for the buck.

Rent here is absolutely outrageous.
ONE Bdrm apartments in a decent complex is averaging $750-$800 a month. ONE bedroom.
So...what you are saying makes sense actually.

I think nationally rent use to be 1/4 of household income, now it is approaching 1/2. Something has to give.

I think nationally rent use to be 1/4 of household income, now it is approaching 1/2. Something has to give.

Stop voting for Republicans.

And stop voting for neo-fascist brown shirt Democrats as well.

And stop voting for neo-fascist brown shirt Democrats as well.

Is 'neo-fascist' sociopath speak for helping the middle class?

The skyrocketing of the cost of renting an apartment is the cause of this. Many rents, even in poorer areas, is approaching the cost of a house payment a month. The gap is getting very narrow. If you listen to those who go the tiny house route they say "rent is burning money, better to pay it into equity than flush it down the toilet".

But since buying a normal sized home requires a large down-payment, the tiny home option is the most appealing and has the biggest bang for the buck.

Rent here is absolutely outrageous.
ONE Bdrm apartments in a decent complex is averaging $750-$800 a month. ONE bedroom.
So...what you are saying makes sense actually.

Stop voting for Republicans.

Excuse me moron, what alternative universe do you live in?

Excuse me moron, what alternative universe do you live in?

Name one Republican politician that has authored or sponsored a bill the had benefit to the middle class without giving an excess to the rich/wealthy or corporations?

Forum List

Back