TN bill would ban "religious doctrine" untill high school

TNHarley

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2012
TN bill would ban teaching 'religious doctrine' until high school

No Tennessee public school course could include anything deemed "religious doctrine" unless the course is taught in 10th, 11th or 12th grade if a newly proposed bill becomes law.
The bill from Rep. Sheila Butt, R-Columbia, comes on the heels of complaints from some parents in several communities as to what their children are learning in middle school about Islam.
"I think that probably the teaching that is going on right now in seventh, eighth grade is not age appropriate," Butt said Friday afternoon. "They are not able to discern a lot of times whether its indoctrination or whether they're learning about what a religion teaches."
Parents in Williamson County, Maury County and several other areas have complained about information contained in courses related to world history. Some, like U.S. Rep Diane Black, R-Tenn., argue the teachings border on indoctrination.

----
I completely agree with this. Of course, I don't support indoctrination of any kind.

No Tennessee public school course could include anything deemed "religious doctrine" unless the course is taught in 10th, 11th or 12th grade if a newly proposed bill becomes law.
The bill from Rep. Sheila Butt, R-Columbia, comes on the heels of complaints from some parents in several communities as to what their children are learning in middle school about Islam.
"I think that probably the teaching that is going on right now in seventh, eighth grade is not age appropriate," Butt said Friday afternoon. "They are not able to discern a lot of times whether its indoctrination or whether they're learning about what a religion teaches."
Parents in Williamson County, Maury County and several other areas have complained about information contained in courses related to world history. Some, like U.S. Rep Diane Black, R-Tenn., argue the teachings border on indoctrination.

----
I completely agree with this. Of course, I don't support indoctrination of any kind.

What's the problem with learning about Islam? When they cover Christianity do they cover KKK variants preaching racial superiority and violence, or FLDS polygany and forced marriages?

Islam's no better or worse than any other major religion and just as easily corrupted as Christianity and Judaism.

----

What's the problem with learning about Islam? When they cover Christianity do they cover KKK variants preaching racial superiority and violence, or FLDS polygany and forced marriages?

Islam's no better or worse than any other major religion and just as easily corrupted as Christianity and Judaism.
I agree.
I went to school here and I don't remember that stuff ever being brought up. I mean, we did prayers and stuff, if people at our school got hurt or something; but that's about it.

Learn so much about your own systems studying other systems. Doing so you suddenly realize not only is your thing unoriginal, but just one system among countless others.

Seem to teahc other systems of government than democracy without the same irrational fear of kids becommuning monarchists or communists.

----

I agree.
I went to school here and I don't remember that stuff ever being brought up. I mean, we did prayers and stuff, if people at our school got hurt or something; but that's about it.
Well.. they did lol

So then, nothing on the later Roman Empire under Constantine...nothing on the Middle Ages, nothing on the Rennaissance and the Reformation?
Bode, do you know what religious doctrine is?

There isn't anything wrong with learning about Islam or Christianity or any other major religion as long as what is being taught is (accurate) history, the problem comes in when public schools attempt to teach the doctrines and dogma of a given religion. Teaching history (when taught properly) doesn't offer any judgements on the individual merits of a given religion so I don't think it would be a violation of parents exclusive rights in this regard, although I would say it would be a good idea for parents to carefully review any curriculum that includes religion oriented history lessons because it's very easy to slip over the line.

There isn't anything wrong with learning about Islam or Christianity or any other major religion as long as what is being taught is (accurate) history, the problem comes in when public schools attempt to teach the doctrines and dogma of a given religion. Teaching history (when taught properly) doesn't offer any judgements on the individual merits of a given religion so I don't think it would be a violation of parents exclusive rights in this regard, although I would say it would be a good idea for parents to carefully review any curriculum that includes religion oriented history lessons because it's very easy to slip over the line.
I cant agree and thank so :thup: :)

So then, nothing on the later Roman Empire under Constantine...nothing on the Middle Ages, nothing on the Rennaissance and the Reformation?

Ummm...history and religious doctrine are two different things, if you're teaching from the bible it's doctrine, if you're teaching from a history book (assuming it's a decent history book sans propaganda) it's history. ;)

Religion's just another subject worthy of study. Only reason some object to religious instruction different than their own is they're afraid of the comparison. Maybe some other religion is better or more lenient, that naturally worries religious people.

Religion's just another subject worthy of study. Only reason some object to religious instruction different than their own is they're afraid of the comparison. Maybe some other religion is better or more lenient, that naturally worries religious people.
Doctrine doesn't belong in public school. Period.

As a defacto atheist, I think teaching and learning about religions is a great idea to get more atheists. :) Biggest weakness of any religion is its holy text. Wanna show how utterly nonsensical or cruel it is, have people read them.

evilbible.com does this extremely well showing all the messed up evil stuff God commands you to do on his behalf like murdering and raping people. God said it so it must be ok. And when you see that sort of thing in the Bible, supposedly a book about a good and loving god, you realize what a load that actually is. Then when you hear people dissing Islam for being evil and bad you realize they got all that evil from the Bible. Didn't think it up out of thin air.

I learned about the religions of the world and it's major tenants in Social Studies in middle school. This bill reeks of a solution in search of a problem.

----

It is age appropriate. It's comparative religion. In fact, it was done in 7th grade here. This is the age where abstract thinking is kicking in. Moving it up is adding on more BS to the high school when the focus should be on which direction the kid is moving after graduation.

Doctrine doesn't belong in public school. Period.

If taught impartially and alongside others just as impartially it's basicly just a literature course.

Religion's just another subject worthy of study.
Yes it is, as long as its study is done under the guidance of parents, when it's done under the direction of a public school it's stepping over the line since public schools IMHO have no right or authority to provide guidance to children in matters of faith nor are public schools in a position to offer guidance on ALL reiligions so their involvement in religious doctrine training would necessarily be biased in favor of certain religion(s).

Only reason some object to religious instruction different than their own is they're afraid of the comparison. Maybe some other religion is better or more lenient, that naturally worries religious people.
I'm not religious at all (i.e. I don't belong or subscribe to any organized religion) yet the teaching of any religious doctrine in pubic schools worries me due to it's overly intrusive nature into parents rights and the state sponsored indoctrination potential it has on children.

Religion's just another subject worthy of study.
Yes it is, as long as its study is done under the guidance of parents, when it's done under the direction of a public school it's stepping over the line since public schools IMHO have no right or authority to provide guidance to children in matters of faith nor are public schools in a position to offer guidance on ALL reiligions so their involvement in religious doctrine training would necessarily be biased in favor of certain religion(s).

Only reason some object to religious instruction different than their own is they're afraid of the comparison. Maybe some other religion is better or more lenient, that naturally worries religious people.
I'm not religious at all (i.e. I don't belong or subscribe to any organized religion) yet the teaching of any religious doctrine in pubic schools worries me due to it's overly intrusive nature into parents rights and the state sponsored indoctrination potential it has on children.

Just about every atheist was raised religious. I encourage people here to raise their kids religious. I'm confident it'll just result in people who either don't take it seriously as adults, or result in actual atheists. :)

Recall a convo I had with some of the teens over the Summer when I told them church is important. Didn't tell them why, but that's part of the fun. :)

Forum List

Back