Today's reading

guno

Gold Member
Mar 18, 2014
NYC and NC
for it is written

george_carlin_quotes___8787.jpg

A few of my fave Carlinisms:

"Religion has convinced people that there's an invisible man ... living in the sky. Who watches everything you do every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a list of ten specific things he doesn't want you to do. And if you do any of these things, he will send you to a special place, of burning and fire and smoke and torture and anguish for you to live forever, and suffer, and suffer, and burn, and scream, until the end of time. But he loves you. He loves you. He loves you and he needs money."

"Religion is like a pair of shoes...Find one that fits for you, but don't make me wear your shoes."

"I have as much authority as the Pope. I just don’t have as many people who believe it."

"I don't know how you feel, but I'm pretty sick of church people. You know what they ought to do with churches? Tax them. If holy people are so interested in politics, government, and public policy, let them pay the price of admission like everybody else. The Catholic Church alone could wipe out the national debt if all you did was tax their real estate."

"Religion has convinced people that there's an invisible man ... living in the sky. Who watches everything you do every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a list of ten specific things he doesn't want you to do. And if you do any of these things, he will send you to a special place, of burning and fire and smoke and torture and anguish for you to live forever, and suffer, and suffer, and burn, and scream, until the end of time. But he loves you. He loves you. He loves you and he needs money."

"Religion is like a pair of shoes...Find one that fits for you, but don't make me wear your shoes."

"I have as much authority as the Pope. I just don’t have as many people who believe it."

"I don't know how you feel, but I'm pretty sick of church people. You know what they ought to do with churches? Tax them. If holy people are so interested in politics, government, and public policy, let them pay the price of admission like everybody else. The Catholic Church alone could wipe out the national debt if all you did was tax their real estate."
My favourite thing about George Carlin is that he is dirt napping.

Life's a terminal condition. Gonna be you too one day.

Yeah - who needs people who invite you to question and explore.

Opinions one and all,it take a rather closed mind to believe that science and faith can not exist at the same time.
Very closed minded,with no ability for abstract thinking.

If any of you lack wisdom let him ask of God who gives to all men liberally and upbraids not and it shall be given unto him.

ask and ye shall receive, seek and ye shall find.

looks like George Carlin was just figuring out what Christians have known for thousands of years. Maybe he should have used the time machine more rather than leaving it with Keanu

funny, I've been encouraging you and your atheist buddies to do that for years and you've given me nothing but excuses on why you won't.

Jesus Christ died, then rose again from the dead three days later.

George Carlin died, and stayed dead.

funny, I've been encouraging you and your atheist buddies to do that for years and you've given me nothing but excuses on why you won't.
You make the common mistake of assuming that people have not investigated your particular religious sect and subsequently decided to reject the ideology as false.

In that sense, I would suggest that you might want to explore religions other than the one you currently subscribe to.

It really shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone that overwhelmingly, religious belief is not a choice for most people. It's overwhelmingly nothing more than simply accepting the majority religion with little thought to investigating the core precepts of the ideology. Religion for a great many people amounts to little more than making token nods to their beliefs and the gawds / idols that are the objects of worship and it really has very little impact on their lives.

Quite clearly, bibles, korans, Books of the Dead, etc., like all books – came from the corruptible hand of man. It’s an inarguable fact that all books are written by man. That you and others attach mystical / magical properties to these books doesn't suddenly make any of the gawds extant or even true.

It would be nice if the god paradigm were true. That would make things easier (though also depressingly unexplainable) – human knowledge would be hopeless in a god-model because that ultimate answer is forever beyond us). I’d like to live in paradise too, and see my dead loved ones, and so on. It’s just like the deep desire makes me careful about accepting models and paradigms without adequate support. That’s how we discern truth from falsehood – not what we feel about something, but what are the realities of it.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back