Tom Petty estate slams Kari Lake use of I Won't Back Down: "shocked that it's stolen, used without permission", will sue for promoting failed campaign

Tom Petty’s estate is looking into suing MAGA anti-democracy grifter Kari Lake for hijacking his music “to promote her failed campaign”

Fh0ONB0VEAAoBU-
Tom Petty's estate is just finding an excuse to keep the money rolling in for another 20 years.

I'm in the business. Musicians don't stop people from playing their songs.
Correct. I have tunes registered with ASCAP and I can tell you, I wouldn't stop anyone from paying royalties.... :cool:

It has everything to do with copyright.
A copyright is no guarantee it just puts a date stamp (in the Library of Congress) on your original work so that it may not be copied by a subsequent claimant. There is no ban on playing it. ASCAP or BMI will want royalties IF the tunes are registered there and one uses them for commercial purposes. Cover bands sometimes run afoul of that.

A copyright is no guarantee it just puts a date stamp (in the Library of Congress) on your original work so that it may not be copied by a subsequent claimant. There is no ban on playing it. ASCAP or BMI will want royalties IF the tunes are registered there and one uses them for commercial purposes. Cover bands sometimes run afoul of that.
Another uneducated fool.

Forum List

Back