Tom Petty estate slams Kari Lake use of I Won't Back Down: "shocked that it's stolen, used without permission", will sue for promoting failed campaign

What is copyright infringement?
As a general matter, copyright infringement occurs when a copyrighted work is reproduced, distributed, performed, publicly displayed, or made into a derivative work without the permission of the copyright owner.
Weird Al had to get permission from every copyright owner before he could release any of his parodies.

I'm in the business. Musicians don't stop people from playing their songs.
Really?

Earlier you were a weapons expert.
His stats are wrong, his methods won't work, and thousands upon thousands of people like me are training their kids to be weapons experts.
Here you were a scout or something....
That's why there's people like me, who can straddle the fence and walk both sides of it. Scouts, as it were. :)
And here you designed aircraft...
Dude - no one is scared of F-15's. People like me designed and built them, we know 8,192 ways to disable them by remote without even blinking an eyelash
And disk drives?
We built the disk drives housing all that NSA data in Utah too. We can disable those too.
And of course a security expert:
It's security people like me, hired by a company to deliberately penetrate their systems. Test their defenses, as it were.

I have about a 99% success rate with penetrations.
(not with women obviously)

And you say you're also a computer hacker.
I can penetrate any damn thing. Because, I can think like a black hat. Do exactly what a black hat would do. Why spend hours hacking a computer when you can just walk in and schmooze the receptionist? Y'know?
Quite the resume you've invented.

Copyright holders (usually the RIAA, but not in Pettys case) have the power to deny anyone from using intellectual property in public.
RIAA could be a copyright holder if Petty sold his rights to them. Then RIAA would have the right to deny usage I suppose. When I joined ASCAP I did not relinquish more copyright to them I only gave permission for them to collect royalties for me on my copyrighted material. So far, I have made a whopping $25.00!!! :auiqs.jpg:

Last edited:
Yes if the intellectual property is copyrighted. A copyright alone does not protect the creator from others using their creation. Companies like ASCAP and BMI will take copyrighted material and make sure the originator gets royalties.
Refer to post #63

1668820968008.png

You can do it but the copyright holder can file a C&D to prevent it. The difference is the use during a performance.

When my spouse died, an overly officious Funeral Attendant said we couldn't play a song that had their name; we could only play public domain music

A more senior official at the funeral home described where the line was by the venue

What is copyright infringement?
As a general matter, copyright infringement occurs when a copyrighted work is reproduced, distributed, performed, publicly displayed, or made into a derivative work without the permission of the copyright owner.
Weird Al had to get permission from every copyright owner before he could release any of his parodies.
Yes, that's because if you copy a melody line and/or exact lyrics from a copyrighted tune, and call it your own, you need permission from the copyright holder. I think courts generally decide how much of the secondary creation is actually an infringement. Those who USE copyrighted material are subject to paying royalties for USAGE but, unless ASCAP, BMI or RIAA get wind of the usage, nothing will happen to a 'cover' musician.

What a bunch of fucking morons.

Actually, they know full well that as long as royalties are paid, she's welcome to use any song she damn well pleases.
Wrong!

Got anymore stupid, off base opinions you'd like to share that might spring forth from your veritable wellspring of counterintuitive understanding of copywrite law?

What a bunch of fucking morons.

Actually, they knEvery time there was a live awards show on TVw full well that as long as royalties are paid, she's welcome to use any song she damn well pleases.

Royalties are not a payment for promotional use. She doesn't own the rights to use the music to promote her lie.

No fucking way can she use that music without consent. I worked in entertainment law for a number of years and this is a something that any first year law student knows. Trump tried to use "We're not going to take it" by Twisted Sister until Dee Snyder told him the same thing.

I'm positive he'd sue her lying ass into next year. Tom Petty took on his own record company for overcharging for his music. He'd have no interest in helping this lying fascist bitch.
Tom Petty was a Conservative and loved Trump. He told me so.

Forum List

Back